Where to carry in pickup?

This is a discussion on Where to carry in pickup? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't drive a truck, but a very similar Bronco and my weapon is always in my OWB holster. I've learned to position the seat ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to carry in pickup?

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I don't drive a truck, but a very similar Bronco and my weapon is always in my OWB holster. I've learned to position the seat belt between my hip and the backside of the holster, keeping it out of the way, if I have to draw while driving. Make sure also that when you sit down you're not sitting on your cover garment and holding it down, pull it up so that it is loose before you put on your seat belt.
    Making sure the belt is not in the way of accessing the firearm make the draw about as easy as possible while seated, and eliminates the need to disarm while driving, and having to reholster everytime you get out.
    If you must remove it from the holster while driving make sure it's in a secure spot, a firearm laying around in a vehicle can become a hard heavy projectile if you are involved in a crash.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Yeah, everyone is right. Better to adjust your on body carry to suit being seated. My earlier reply was intended to help answer your initial question for the few times it really isn't convenient any other way. (my off body use is reserved for LONG rides without stops, just to get it off my belt for awhile).
    "Don't Tread on Me"

don't mean to hijack this great thread, but what's your suggestions on travel with gun when you don't have a CCW in a truck? I don't have a bed toolbox so the gun has to be in the cab with me. right now I just leave it<gun> in the original box and put on the floor behind passenger seat.

Any other suggestions?
    Rossi .357mag
    SA XDM .40
    Glock G27

VIP Member
    I drive a pickup as well. My gun is always on me unless traveling through a state I'm prohibited from carrying in. Personal preference is a IWB holster with adjustable cant. The IWB holster gives less for a seat belt to snag on and the adjustable cant allows your to position the grip for easier access.

Murphy's Law says that trouble will find you at the worst time, and having your gun in the truck when you are 30 feet from it would mean that you're unarmed at the worst time.
    Your firearm should remain ON YOUR PERSON whenever it is legal to do so.
    In bad areas...I would never consider being separated from my firearm, and you don't want to find that out the hard way. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oilhammer View Post
    don't mean to hijack this great thread, but what's your suggestions on travel with gun when you don't have a CCW in a truck? I don't have a bed toolbox so the gun has to be in the cab with me. right now I just leave it<gun> in the original box and put on the floor behind passenger seat.

Any other suggestions?
    Check your state laws.
    In MI transporting a firearm without a CPL, you are required to keep the firearm in a locked case, separate from any ammo.
    Handgun Law US is a good place to start, here is a link:
    Handgunlaw.us
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Center console comes to mind instantly, or maybe the glovebox, but both still come in second to (on my person) in the event I have to exit the vehicle abruptly. JM2C

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Wear it.
    “For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know.”

It seems unanimous, one thing I did not mention is that these drives are many hours between stops. Anything (wallet, phone, etc) on person is rather cumbersome.

On your person.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Take your wallet and put it in your breast pocket or a secure place in the truck. Keep your primary carry on your person. Keep you BUG in a convient place in easy reach. That is how I travel on long trips.
    Don't have a back up. Get one. I have had it come in handy on several occasions.

Semper Fi

Yet another vote for carrying on your person. Less chance for the weapon to get stolen and less attention drawn to you through repeated holstering/unholstering when entering/exiting the vehicle. As for the comfort part, you just need to select the right holster/belt combination. I've done 20+ hour round trip drives carrying IWB with a 1911 with no real complaints from a comfort standpoint.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Good SA (again) is the key. I carry on my person and in the driver's door pocket. The door pocket works well as your pistol is fully concealed while easily reached. I carry on my person so I don't have to practice the "some assembly required" every time I enter/leave the vehicle. It comes in at night or if I am out of my vehicle for a long period of time, but otherwise, this set up has worked for me.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

My vote goes to Tex-Jb..
    If you can wear an untucked shirt or other cover garment the Fist driving-crossdraw is ideal for vehicle as well as regular carry.

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInTexas View Post
    ?????
    I am big on common sense and mine is telling me right now that I have no experience with this, and I should seek the advice of others who do.
    Sometimes that works and sometimes it don't.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links