Where to carry in pickup?

This is a discussion on Where to carry in pickup? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently acquired my ccp in Texas. I am the new guy, not much experience, super cautious. Have not exercised my right to carry yet ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to carry in pickup?

Where to carry in pickup?

I recently acquired my ccp in Texas. I am the new guy, not much experience, super cautious.

Have not exercised my right to carry yet but I am now going to be traveling in an area of the state that I think it would be exceptionally wise to carry.
    The travel is for business. Out of the pickup for brief periods then back on the road. Near the border.

Where can I look to see suggestions on where to carry, while underway? Ie once on the road, I don't want it on my person, I want to put it somewhere instantly accessible in the vehicle.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If you have a console, that would be my suggestion... remember, the gun must be concealed from view at all times...

If you need to store your gun in your truck, I would recommend a COM safe..

COM safes
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInTexas View Post
    ...I am now going to be traveling in an area of the state that I think it would be exceptionally wise to carry...
    The first sentence out of my CHP instructor's mouth was "If you're going to an area where you think you should be armed, DON'T GO!"

I understand that this is for your job & that jobs are hard to come by.

If you have a concealed carry permit at this time, why aren't you carrying all the time; you never know if today will be the day.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInTexas View Post
    I recently acquired my ccp in Texas. I am the new guy, not much experience, super cautious.

Have not exercised my right to carry yet but I am now going to be traveling in an area of the state that I think it would be exceptionally wise to carry.
    The travel is for business. Out of the pickup for brief periods then back on the road. Near the border.

Where can I look to see suggestions on where to carry, while underway? Ie once on the road, I don't want it on my person, I want to put it somewhere instantly accessible in the vehicle.
    Sometimes you just have to use common sense and figure things out for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Sometimes you just have to use common sense and figure things out for yourself.
    ?????
    I am big on common sense and mine is telling me right now that I have no experience with this, and I should seek the advice of others who do.

This probably wouldn't be enough to conceal it according to Texas' stupid law, but something to think about:

The Kingston(TM) Car Seat Holster

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    You might need to get a bit creative. One thing I do is secure a holster just under the seat with velcro. It's a tight fitting rig, so it won't vibrate or bounce out. When I exit, it goes in my belt holster.
    If you have a split bench, you can do the same trick between the seats.

otherwise, consider adjusting your belt holster to a position you can draw from seated.. One O'clock works for me. Cross draw can work well too.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

pax
    Get used to wearing it. Don't get in the habit of taking it off when you get into the truck, because it's a sure bet that if you do, you'll never get into the habit of keeping it on when you hop out of the rig for "just a moment."

Since you cannot schedule the where and when, you'd do better to start at the beginning with a habit of keeping the gun on your person even while driving.

After all, someone behind the wheel of a million grains of stopping power doesn't need a gun at all. It's only the guy who just hopped out of his truck for a minute who might.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

I drive alot with my pistol under my left thigh....
    Christian/Father/Husband/American/NRA Benefactor Life Member/GOA Life Member/USAF NCO/Operations; Provide Comfort/Northern Watch/Southern Watch/Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom/TBD....

You might want to check out some shoulder holsters. The weather is cool enough now to wear a cover vest or jacket. Leave if part way unzipped in the truck and you have pretty quick access while seated

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    Get used to wearing it. Don't get in the habit of taking it off when you get into the truck, because it's a sure bet that if you do, you'll never get into the habit of keeping it on when you hop out of the rig for "just a moment."

Since you cannot schedule the where and when, you'd do better to start at the beginning with a habit of keeping the gun on your person even while driving.

After all, someone behind the wheel of a million grains of stopping power doesn't need a gun at all. It's only the guy who just hopped out of his truck for a minute who might.

pax
    That's some solid advice right there.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post

pax
    Great advice! Carry everywhere you can legally do so & only put it in a CoM safe when you have to.

I carry a compact 9mm in an IWB holster at 4:00 & it's as comfortable as can be.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

VIP Member
    Personally I do not like off body carry... it's too easy to get separated from your weapon.

I really suggest you carry your weapon on you!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    You really should have it on you... Maybe a driving/crossdraw holster would work for you...

Fist Driving Holster
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I always carry on my body. Like said above I would hate to become separated from you weapon. If the area that you are going to is one that you are worried about I would practice drawing in your car (in and Area that you would be suitable for that kind of thing ie. area far away from others and with an unloaded gun.) Find out what is most comfortable for you and then do with it. I am not a big fan of car holsters because then you will have a tendency to leave your weapon in the car and that is never good especially if you are in an area that is not good to be in.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
    Bring Enough GUN!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links