Is my practice routine dangerous? - Page 2

Is my practice routine dangerous?

This is a discussion on Is my practice routine dangerous? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's relatively simple to unload a firearm and make sure it is EMPTY several times. Put the ammo in another room and then practice away. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is my practice routine dangerous?

It's relatively simple to unload a firearm and make sure it is EMPTY several times. Put the ammo in another room and then practice away. Why take a silly chance for a few moments it takes to unload?
    What if you shot the wall and it came back at you?

Stay armed...play safely...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GM
    Holly cow, you should not even need to ask this question! Of course it is dangerous, and you might end killing someone. Have you ever heard about something called firearm safety? Practicing draw is very good, but not in the way you do it. The ONLY place there you shall practice draw with at hot gun is at the range. If you want to practice at home use snap caps or dry fire, but NEVER with live ammo. Stop practicing with a hot gun and learn the safety rules; and do not even think about if a hollow point should penetrate the wall or not. But yes, it most probably would.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

unload to practice or give up the gun... what your doing is dangerous and just plain stupid
    I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by CarryOrDie View Post
    To answer your question, most likely no. If you've got hollow points in the chamber, not a chance. A FMJ....better chance but not likely.
    I am not sure about your theory. Like NavyLT wrote, the plaster fills the hollow making the round essentially a FMJ after that point. Did you ever hear about hollow points and heavy winter attire?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Everyone else already covered everything well, so I'm just effectively jumping on the bandwagon to help the numbers and all... To answer your initial question...YES! MOST DEFINITELY YES!

Sure 99% of the time your outer brick exterior may well stop that round, but are you absolutely sure you want to chance that 1% and kill some neighbors kid? Think hard on that friend.

If you want to practice loaded...do so where you can guarantee the backstop, ie at a range. Otherwise, practice unloaded(VERIFY VERIFY VERIFY) or don't carry at all.

One other thought... If your firearm isn't too heavily customized perhaps you can find a fully functional airsoft replica with which to practice your draw in the home?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

All of the above plus, modern brick is many times brick veneer, not brick. It is much thinner than brick.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    If you had to ask the question, then, most likely, you think it is. Why not unload the weapon first, then practice, eliminating any doubt in your head. And I doubt a .45 would penetrate a brick wall.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I don't know about where you live but around here the ranges will NOT let you do that on line while other members are shooting. WHY? Because it is dangerous....

A few year ago a state trooper was practicing his quick draw in the barracks, he shot through the barracks window across a state highway through a diner window on the other side of the road. Luckily the diner was closed and no one was hurt but to this day they call him ''Quickdraw McGraw''

A gun is only as dangerous as the handler. Invest in some snap caps, safety training and stay safe.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

If you have to ask if what you are doing is stupid/dangerous, there's a 99.9% chance that it is. You need to treat this training exactly like you were doing dry fire practice. This is the perfect time to review the four rules of gun safety:

1. TREAT ALL FIREARMS AS IF THEY ARE LOADED
    2. NEVER LET THE MUZZLE OF A FIREARM CROSS ANYTHING YOU AREN'T WILLING TO KILL OR DESTROY
    3. KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR WEAPON IS ON TARGET AND YOU ARE READY TO FIRE
    4. BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT

Not to be harsh, but the way you have been practicing has violated at least two of those. Stay safe.

As everyone has said, this is a dangerous practice. I won't elaborate since this was covered well.

I will add that I don't think it is the best way to practice. Since you act the way you practice and I don't plan on drawing unless there is a serious threat, I prefer to have my finger on the trigger as soon as the gun is on target. For practice drawing, this REQUIRES an EMPTY gun that has been checked SEVERAL times. I was actually trained to start taking the slack out of the trigger AFTER the gun is on target and as it is brought into position.
    NRA Life Member

My Dad always used to tell me "If you have to think to you yourself 'Is this a good idea?' it probably isn't."

This is such a case. You shouldn't do that.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

This could be onea those a 45acp round won't penetrate a brick wall,yet when you have a ND it not only penetrates your exterior wall but the neighbours as well.Unload your gun before practiceing,and put ammo in another room,there are stories where people unloaded a gun and practiced dry firing,then loaded the gun and got distracted,without thinking picked the gun back up and dry fired it again only this time there was a big boom
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

To give you an idea of how seriously I take safety when practicing draws (cleaning too), I don't even allow ammunition in the same room. I unload, check it, go to the room where I'm cleaning or practicing, check again, and proceed. When I practice draws, I take it another step further and practice in the basement, which gives me a pretty fool proof backstop in the very unlikely event of an ND (unlikely because I don't keep ammo in the same room or even floor in this case).

YES it's dangerous what you're doing. Close to negligent in my book - though unknowingly I'm sure.

I don't do that or anything else even with an unloaded gun except at the range. I practice whatever it is there. if a semi- automatic it is loaded, unloaded, cleaned there. If it's a carry it goes from belt, holstered, to the safe, loaded and holstered. When I carry it again, holstered gun back on the belt.

A revolver, if it's loaded or not, wheel is open when it's out of the safe. And usually it's at the range revolvers are cleaned too.

My own rule: if you don't touch a gun except at the range or to put it on your belt, holstered if at all possible, you're chance of an ND go way, way down. Don't touch guns except the place designed for that: the range. I realize this is not everyone's way and that's fine, but I'm comfortable with it.

Thumbs up

1. TREAT ALL FIREARMS AS IF THEY ARE LOADED.
    'Nuff said, really.

============

But, I'll tell you what. If you're still of a mind that this activity isn't that dangerous, go to the nearest home where children reside and ask their mother whether she minds your practicing with live rounds on the other side of that wall, there; then, use her response as your best guide. That'll do it.

Good rule of thumb: If there's the least risk of a bullet being fired for other than reasons of loading, unloading or purposeful firing, then you should unload the gun.

BTW, thanks for bringing up the question. I mean it. It's important.

Don't feel bad. Nobody's got all the answers. The nice thing about DefensiveCarry.com is that we can come here to kick around the use of firearms for defensive purposes, learning about all facets of it. Only the schmucks drag someone through the mud for a qustion that's asked. There are a few of them here, and they're fairly well known. Though, it's far better to ask and learn than to risk society's ire and anger on not knowing. And, quite frankly, making one mistake in this game is risking exactly that. Today's society isn't very forgiving of even minor mishaps in this area, and both financial and social destruction is a distinct possibility for someone caught in their crosshairs. Best to avoid all of that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links