Is my practice routine dangerous?

This is a discussion on Is my practice routine dangerous? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ccw9mm has it right. You're doing something bad and have been dogpiled for doing it. However, you had the sense to ask more experienced folks ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is my practice routine dangerous?

ccw9mm has it right.

You're doing something bad and have been dogpiled for doing it. However, you had the sense to ask more experienced folks if it was a good idea.

So, everybody, cut the guy a little slack. Think for a second on how many people don't have the integrity to ask or the sense to even wonder if what they're doing is safe.

So, ep1953; good job on seeking information. Modify your practice and, if at all possible, get some training in safe gun handling and combat pistol techniques.

As has been mentioned, most ranges won't let you practice the techniques you need to master if you're going to carry a concealed weapon. IDPA is one of the best ways to practice these techniques in a safe, live fire environment.

The NRA is a good resource for finding local instructors: NRA.

More information on IDPA: International Defensive Pistol Association. If you have a local IDPA club, they will also be tuned in to local opportunities for training, and will be a good source of information as well.

Joe

2. Remove Ads

Smile

Again, no "dog piling" was intended. What we do here, at DC, is to kick around questions about mindset, procedure, safety, equipment, tactics and overall strategy. As is the case elsewhere, the only stupid question is the one not asked. Kudos for bringing up the question.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    ccw9mm has it right.

You're doing something bad and have been dogpiled for doing it. However, you had the sense to ask more experienced folks if it was a good idea.

So, everybody, cut the guy a little slack. Think for a second on how many people don't have the integrity to ask or the sense to even wonder if what they're doing is safe.

So, ep1953; good job on seeking information. Modify your practice and, if at all possible, get some training in safe gun handling and combat pistol techniques.

As has been mentioned, most ranges won't let you practice the techniques you need to master if you're going to carry a concealed weapon. IDPA is one of the best ways to practice these techniques in a safe, live fire environment.

The NRA is a good resource for finding local instructors: NRA.

More information on IDPA: International Defensive Pistol Association. If you have a local IDPA club, they will also be tuned in to local opportunities for training, and will be a good source of information as well.

Joe
    +1

If I sounded overly critical, I apologize. We're all here to learn

ccw I agree with you. Not every one has had training when it come to things that we would call common sense. You can go to a store and purchase a pistol or any fire arm for that matter and no asks you if you know how to use it. It was a good question and most any one who has written on this post know that we all have made mistakes when if comes to fire arm safety. So we can all be kind and thank God that nothing has happened with making this mistake and just pray that the same mistake will not be made on a day to do basis. It is very easy to get up tight when it comes to safety. Lets be generous and grateful that this person has asked the question and will hopefully no be doing this in the future
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
    Bring Enough GUN!!

That is very dangerous. If you want to practice removing the safety while drawing do it while you have snap caps in it. That way you can practice firing also. Also put away all ammo before practicing.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Snap caps or dry firing never loaded unless at the range
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

However, you had the sense to ask more experienced folks if it was a good idea.
    Exactly, I'm still a relatively new handgunner, and CCWer - about 3 years. In my state county, (Erie in NY State) there is LONG wait for permit applications. So, I used this time, at this and other forums, and people I know, to ask a thousand questions. It was extremely helpful. By the time I got the CCW, I already knew a LOT. Now that's not the same as then learning it in practice. But you can't learn in practice without knowledge of what you need to learn. Also, a lot of off-duty police shoot at my range, so I used them for practical advice and help also. Plus a family member, who's NRA Instructor. Ask a lot, I still do.

Accidents and other misfortunes happen to those who think they know everything, and blindly go on.

Mic
    Short answer, I seriously doubt the brick will penetrate, however there are factors such as grain and projectile type that I don't know.

Now for the real question, "Yes" unsafe as hell, never point a loaded gun at any thing you don't intend to destroy. Draw, aim and safety release drills are things that need to be practiced UNLOADED! Try unloading, clearing and re holstering the gun when you get home in a safe place, then "practice" as you do when you enter the bedroom.

If you ever asked yourself, "is this safe," it's not!
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    I figure that if I ever have a ND while doing this the only thing to be killed will be the lamp.
    Given your routine, I don't think the question is "if" you'll have a ND, the question is "when"?

Draw practice, trigger squeeze practice, sight alignment practice, reholster practice, etc., etc., can all be done with an EMPTY firearm. Prior to this kind of practice, unload and show clear. Then go to a different room (with NO AMMO) and conduct your practice. When you're finished, go back and reload and put it away safely.
    Dan Hammond
    NRA Instructor
    KS CCH Instructor
    US Army (Ret)

If you have to ASK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Took guts to ask the questions. Good on you.

The answer is a definate, "yes, it is dangerous."
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

VIP Member
    as others have said, yes its dangerous

good that you asked
    good that you want to practice

bad the way you're doing it

get some snap caps
    when you're ready to practice, drop mag, check that its unloaded, check again, and then check again racking the slide multiple times checking the chamber

load up some snap caps and you can practice trigger control, malfunction drills, etc in a safe manner

good luck
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

My own opinion, yes I think it is an unsafe practice.

I also practice drawing just about every night but I always do it with an unloaded gun. Better safe than sorry.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Thanks for all the replies especially the ones that were constructive. To the holier-than-thou group, maybe some day I will be perfect also.

For those who were worried about my family getting shot, I live alone so no danger there.

For those who were worried about someone outside my house, that was the entire point of the question. In the event of a discharge, will the .45 ACP hollow point penetrate through an exterior brick wall? It is a full brick, not a veneer. There seems to be some disagreement on that subject from those who answered.

Because of this disagreement and due to the fact that there is another house located about 150 feet from my bedroom wall I have changed my procedure. Now I draw my gun facing a different wall that faces another hill on the other side of the holler I live on. The hill is unoccupied and according to Goggle maps the closest house in that direction is about 3 miles away on the other side of the hill.

I am sure I left a wrong impression with most people with my original question. I don’t practice a “quick draw”. I am in no particular hurry to draw the gun. When I get home the gun has to come out of the holster. I do add the steps of clicking off the safety and aiming at a spot. I do this to always be in the habit of clicking off the safety.

As I stated in the original question I always place my finger fully extended along the frame of the gun. That is, outside the trigger guard and not on the trigger. I’m not really worried about a ND because I am very conscious of keeping my finger off the trigger. However, being an ordinary human (hillbilly at that) it is possible that I could suffer from cranial rectal inversion syndrome some day and have a ND.

A few respondents gave the impression they didn’t think a loaded weapon should be touched. I am curious if they attempt to unload their pistols before removing them from the holster.

Once again, thanks for the replies. I look forward to any additional comments.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    ep1953 I do not have data to share on hollowpoint performance vs a brick obstical but I do know a full metal jacket 230 grain bullet will penetrate a one inch thick concrete cinder block. There is a lot of energy in a slow .45 bullet please do not over estimate your backstop. Its better to set aside time to unload your CCW before practicing. Also just practice a draw is half the equasion. Live fire is the only way to really get a feel on how you can group the first few shots.

be safe and shoot safe

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links