Is my practice routine dangerous? - Page 4

Is my practice routine dangerous?

This is a discussion on Is my practice routine dangerous? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You took it well, posting any question will get responses that are constructive for the most part and then some not so much. In the ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is my practice routine dangerous?

You took it well, posting any question will get responses that are constructive for the most part and then some not so much. In the end you have taken them well and had the guts to ask, that says something about you...

Good luck and stay safe, rk
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member
    ep1953.......

as I said, its good that you want to practice your draw......
    to add to my earlier post........
    when you come home, remove pistol, drop mag, rack slide five times letting the chambered round fall where it may, visually and physically check the chamber (look and stick your pinkie in the chamber to ensure that it is in fact empty) if someone else is available have them check it also
    now you're ready to practice some dry fire, put your mags with live rounds up in the closet, load some snap caps in a mag and practice draws, trigger control, sear set, and clearing a dud/malfunction
    practice practice practicew
    and you are correct, you need to practice flipping the safety off while drawing and keeping that finger indexed on the frame

I'm trying to find (online) the video, or one similar, that we were shown in our police academy on cover vs concealment and how 9mm and 45 rounds busted brick enough that portions of the bullet made their way through the brick
    that being said, if you follow what I said above, you won't have to find out
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

There are several "replica's " out there that are roughly the same size, type, weight, etc. (copy the exact model, etc. as your gun). Get one and use that. It won't shoot. Anyone who sells holsters will know where to get them.

more people have had negligent discharges , or shot themselves, doing quick draw practice than I think anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies especially the ones that were constructive. To the holier-than-thou group, maybe some day I will be perfect also.
    Please don't take the comments here in this way. You asked for people's thoughts on the practice. Most indicated it was dangerous. That's constructive. I can't imagine anyone was intending to be holier-than-though, and certainly nobody thinks he/she is perfect. On the forum, it's better to toughen up the skin a bit, 'cause this is the way it is.

Remember: folks are critiquing the actions, procedures, ideas. Not you.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yes. The first thing you must do if you are going to practice drawing is to make very sure that the gun is unloaded. That there is nothing in the chamber or the magazine. Anything less will sooner or later result in a negligent discharge, and who knows what the outcome will be.

Regards,
    Jerry

I've only read the first page or so, so I apologize if this has been asked and answered.

Is there some reason you cant drop the mag and clear the weapon before your practice? Because I agree with the others....dangerous!

I practice and dry-fire/use snap caps all the time. I *never* have live ammo in the same room when I do so.

Please don't take the comments here in this way. You asked for people's thoughts on the practice. Most indicated it was dangerous. That's constructive. I can't imagine anyone was intending to be holier-than-though, and certainly nobody thinks he/she is perfect. On the forum, it's better to toughen up the skin a bit, 'cause this is the way it is.

Remember: folks are critiquing the actions, procedures, ideas. Not you.
    Good point. And I find the forums here do not engage in nastiness and crazy fights the way others I've been on can.

I also think that some of the comments that may have sounded harsh was people were honestly afraid for you, you know, like yelling "STOP!" when someone's about to have an accident with a car, that kind of thing. In other words, they were bothering to write, and a lot did, because they were very concerned.

Yes, your practice routine is dangerous, even turned so that you are aiming across the hollow.

Food for thought: Taking your weapon off safety should be a conscious act - one you decide to do. Keeping your weapon on safety should not be something you have to remember to do.

Making your weapon unsafe should not be an automatic, thoughtless muscle memory, anytime you unholster your weapon (daily practice can lead to that). There will be times when you need to unholster your weapon and keep the safety on. There could be a time when unholstering your weapon and taking the safety off could put you in grave danger. Don't associate taking the weapon off safety with unholstering.

Instead, let taking your weapon off safety become an automatic part of bringing the weapon to bear on target, before moving your finger to the trigger, having decided you are ready to shoot, if necessary.

If you are unholstering your weapon to take it off, then that's what you should do. Remove it and leave it on safety. Let that be your practice - unholstering safely.

If, after that, you want to practice drawing and taking your weapon off safety, then start by practicing unloading safely, including both visual and physical checks to ensure the chamber is clear. Then, practice to your heart's content.

If you decide to use snap caps, which I encourage, then pick durable snap caps. The cheap, orange plastic ones are easily broken by the extractor, if you use a semi-automatic.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Yes dangerous. Dry fire for practice. As everyone else has said. Must be safe, always.

Yeah, it is dangerous. Most have already said it all, but even if the round didn't penetrate the brick, you risk a ricochet back into your own home.
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -- Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Why even bother asking? Just unload it then practice... its only common sense.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Practicing with a loaded gun inside your home is a bad idea.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by metallic View Post
    If you have to ask if what you are doing is stupid/dangerous, there's a 99.9% chance that it is. You need to treat this training exactly like you were doing dry fire practice. This is the perfect time to review the four rules of gun safety:

1. TREAT ALL FIREARMS AS IF THEY ARE LOADED
    2. NEVER LET THE MUZZLE OF A FIREARM CROSS ANYTHING YOU AREN'T WILLING TO KILL OR DESTROY
    3. KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR WEAPON IS ON TARGET AND YOU ARE READY TO FIRE
    4. BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT

Not to be harsh, but the way you have been practicing has violated at least two of those. Stay safe.
    Which Two? I only count 1 at most.

1.) Treat all firearms as if they are loaded. Check the OP says it's his carry gun, and has a JHP in the chamber. He's treating it like a loaded gun.
    2.) Never point the firearm at anything you're unwilling to destroy. The lamp. He's willing to destroy the lamp. No problem here.
    3.) Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target and you're ready to fire. Check, finger indexed along the frame, not in/near the trigger guard. no worries here.
    4.) Know your target, and what's beyond. THIS is the one that's questionable. An actual brick wall like the front of my house will absolutely stop a .45acp JHP. The OP tells you it's not Drywall + siding in the OP. We know bullets go through drywall like Kershaws go through butter. Bricks, not so much.

Personally Every time my Glock comes out of the holster. Whether it's to go in the safe, a nightstand, whatever. I draw the weapon as if I mean it. I take the time to get a proper sight picture, and then I do what I intended to do with the weapon. Such as unloading it for cleaning / storage / etc.

I don't however use a lamp. I have a 5gallon bucket filled with sand that's a good 12" thick. I know 6" of sand will stop every caliber I have in the house dead in it's tracks.

I'd trust someone who handles their weapon the same way EVERY TIME as if they are going to have to defend themselves more than someone who gingerly pulls it out of the holster with two fingers 365 times a year, but then assumes they'll draw properly when it counts.

The above is my, most likely, very unpopular $.02
    Mindset - Tactics - Skills - Equipment
    http://www.ingunowners.com
    W9ZEB dot Org

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    I figure that if I ever have a ND while doing this the only thing to be killed will be the lamp.
    Hope You never move next door to me.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links