Oops! - Page 2

Oops!

This is a discussion on Oops! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a general rule I do not go outside on New Years between 2330 and 0030. So far so good! Oh and I am not ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oops!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    As a general rule I do not go outside on New Years between 2330 and 0030.

So far so good!

Oh and I am not trying to blame the boy's mother for what happened, but I would not, heck could not, have a little boy like that out after Midnight. Never a good idea to have little ones out and about that time of night, besides, how do you keep them awake?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post

So far so good!

Oh and I am not trying to blame the boy's mother for what happened, but I would not, heck could not, have a little boy like that out after Midnight. Never a good idea to have little ones out and about that time of night, besides, how do you keep them awake?
    They weren't "out and about"; they were sitting in church. Many folks (and their children) attend Watch Night services and pray in the New Year. We did - with both of our adult children and spouses and five grandchildren.

Familiar activity for most church-going families. If the little ones go to sleep in the pew, who cares, as long as they don't snore loudly.

It was/is a tragedy, no doubt. So was my friend getting murdered outside his church in North Little Rock on Christmas Eve.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

My CPL instructor said the local cops make a point to park their patrol cars under overpasses at 11:30 on newyears eve.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post

So far so good!

It came through the roof of the church. It could come through the roof of a house, apt building, etc. Unless you received a divine memo from God – or are clairvoyant - how could you know which building would be safer at 20 minutes past the new year?

The bullet must have been fired at an angle to maintain enough velocity to do this kind of damage. Mythbusters did 2 separate episodes with this one and a bullet coming straight down at terminal velocity does NOT have enough energy to penetrate a body. I believe this could have been someone being stupid and firing anywhere and it angled in through the roof and killed the child. Very sad whatever happened.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    I think they need more parades!

^^funny^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Years ago a woman was killed by a falling round, which was shot over a mountain in deer season. It fell through the roof of a factory in the town where I was living, at the time, in PA.

It went through the metal roof, ricochet off a steam-pipe and still had enough force to kill her.

Just shows that you just never know!!^^^^^^^^^^

"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?" ~ Unknown
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Unlikely that it was a mostly straight up and down shot. Would like to see the forensics on angles and such since the terminal velocity of the bullets alone would be unlikely to pierce the roof and remain lethal unless the roof is made of toilet paper. That doesn't negate the tragedy but it keeps the facts straight since one of two things probably happened.

1. The mighty sky wizard up and armed himself and sent that church a message.

2. Somebody fired from a distance so that the bullet traveled in an arc while maintaining its spin with enough original velocity to remain lethal.

A good forensics team should be able to get a pretty close determination of origin, especially if there were multiple layers to the roof/ceiling.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

As far as knowing your backdrop, When I was stationed in Utah, one of the ski resorts used a recoiless cannon to bring down hazardous snowpack. I recall reading how one shot went OVER the resort boundary and landed in a driveway on the back side to the hill. This was 84-85 or so..

Heh. just Googled it to check my date and found another episode in 2005!

2005 Avalanche News - Howitzer Shot Lands in Back Yard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links