Defensive Carry banner

Glock Mags

3K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  64zebra 
#1 ·
Does it hurt the spring in glock mags by being loaded all the time?

#2 ·
#3 ·
No...

#4 ·
No.....put that notion out of your mind now and go peacefully grasshopper. The only magazine springs I've ever changed in my Glock magazines (maybe 50 of them?), were some that I've bought used.....(3 or 4 needed spring replaced). All of the ones I've bought new have never had any issues (yet), and most of them get used extensively for competition. I have some NDF mags from 12 years ago that still work flawlessly. Some were police trade-ins. I have 2nd and 3rd generation magazines going back as far as ten years and never had any issues.
While I agree that the OP has asked a frequently asked question on this forum, but realizing Glock magazines are a polymer shell over thin metal might seem to give some folks a notion that they are somewhat fragile or weak somehow. If treated well, I would say your Glock magazines will last you a very long time, and the springs will as well. I figure you may need to change out a follower or two long before there's a need to change out a spring. If you ask this same question about a Glock magazine spring because you are having issues, then IMO, look at the magazine follower first before deciding you NEED an aftermarket Wolff extra-power spring.
Here's an excellent article to read. No...it won't end the questions, but it should ease your mind. Maybe it should be stuck in the site archives as a reference.
Magazine spring madness: 'creep' to your 'elastic limit' to un-earth the urban legend of 'spring-set' | American Handgunner | Find Articles at BNET

#7 ·
I asked mine, they said it didn't hurt. They said they actually enjoyed it.
:rofl:

ok, no, it doesn't hurt them
check the link in the post above, search on this forum and you'll find several discussions on this topic, in short.....mag springs "wear out" by the action of loading/unloading, not being loaded all the time

#8 ·
No, but they get PO when they're not used on a regular basis.:tongue:

I used to think it was good to let um rest after a few months myself :dunno: heck I'm no metallurgist. The folks here clued me in and no more worries.

GBK

#10 ·
Short answer, no.
Longer answer(this applies to all mag, not brand specific), the act of uncompressing and recompressing the spring is what causes the springs to wear out over time(lots of time), so in all actuality shooting and reloading the mags to shoot again, will wear them out. This can take several years, or may never happen, depend on the quality of the metal in the spring.
From my own experience with a Ruger MK II after over 30,000 rounds through the gun I never had a problem with the springs in the two mags I had.
YMMV

#11 ·
Short answer, no.
The day YOU have to worry about a Glock magazine spring is the day I want you to remember to PM me and I will send you what you need free or rebuild yours here. That includes a follower BTW. I'd never change out a Glock magazine spring without a new follower. No cost to you other than shipping it to me.

#12 ·
I would suggest six mags for each firearm you carry. Three are for the range that get used only at the range no mag unloading (remove JHP) and reload before shooting and three for Sunday goto meeting that never get unloaded. That way if you scratch up the bottom of a couple of the mags at the range you won't cry. The ones for CCW that never get unloaded will retain spring strenght pretty much past your lifetime. I've heard of old 1911 mags from the WWII era that were found loaded and they work just fine (assuming not rusted). I have shot a WWII 1911 with WWII ammo original mags (I think) that didn't have one single misfire.

#13 ·
No, I carry Glock 17 on duty at work and the mag's are all fully loaded, every 6 months the old ones are used for qualifacation and new ammo but the mags are loaded 24/7/365 and have never had any problems with feed in 5 years.

#14 ·
See? Another one. One of the few I've seen in this thread concerning Glock magazines specifically and experience. What actually 'lumps' Glock magazines in with all the rest? Just wondering. Don't mean nothing by it, but the thread was based on Glock magazines. First hand accounts always go over better with me. Sorry, I don't know what got into me.

#15 ·
I don't want to contradict anybody but I was always told the springs have a "memory" and if left fully loaded for long periods of time, they will remember that compressed state and will be weak when you finally do use it. Kinda like an old car with sagging springs. Just what I heard.

#16 ·
Sort of like rechargeable NiCad batteries? The first time they should be totally drained before re-charged? How much does metal "remember" actually? Does it remember yesterday? Does it recollect to the times of it's childhood? When it was first born from the fire and formed?

#23 ·
Glock mags

Never had an issue with my Glock mags. I've had three loaded up for a year in my kit bag and didn't notice any weakness in them and they functioned just fine. The only mags I did have problems with were the Government M-16 mags that are about 30 years old. Replaced the springs and checked the lips and some were fine the others were trashed for the P-Mags.

#24 ·
have more time to post now......

I have my G30 original 10 round mag loaded 24-7/365 except when shooting it at the range
I shoot it at least once a month.....usually 300 rounds, I use the original 10 round mag as well as some other 13 round G21 mags as spares. So they get some loading/unloading and shooting.
When I'm done shooting I clean 'em up and load the 200 gr Gold Dots back in them.
I've had this G30 in 2005 and have no issues with the mags after using them as stated above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.