Druggist's lawyer sour at leak of report on youth

This is a discussion on Druggist's lawyer sour at leak of report on youth within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- A lawyer for an Oklahoma City pharmacist charged with murder in the death of a teenage would-be robber says he isn't ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Druggist's lawyer sour at leak of report on youth

Druggist's lawyer sour at leak of report on youth

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- A lawyer for an Oklahoma City pharmacist charged with murder in the death of a teenage would-be robber says he isn't pleased that a psychologist's report has been leaked. Lawyer Irven Box says the report portrays the dead youth's companion in the robbery attempt as a victim instead of a criminal.

Box is the lawyer for pharmacist Jerome Ersland, who faces a first-degree murder charge accusing him of using excessive force when he fatally shot 16-year-old Antwun "Speedy" Parker on May 19. The 58-year-old pharmacist contends he acted in self-defense when he shot at Parker six times.

The Oklahoman newspaper published an article Sunday saying that 15-year-old Jevontai Ingram has a low IQ and told a psychologist he was feeling lost before the crime that left his accomplice dead.

District Attorney David Prater said he didn't know who leaked the report, or why. But he said it wouldn't change his strategy for the case.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

2. Remove Ads

The first shot was justified the others were not.The suspect was no longer a threat and the pharmacist pretty much executed him. The pharmacist should be charged in my opinion. He went over board and should be accountable for his bad decision.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Don't know all the facts/whole story, but when the adrenalin's pumping and under stress, six shots dosn't sound like much. Me Thinks there's more to the story than's being reported.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Don't know all the facts/whole story, but when the adrenalin's pumping and under stress, six shots dosn't sound like much. Me Thinks there's more to the story than's being reported.
    NewsOK

When the pharmacist comes back into the store a minute later and retrieves another gun from a drawer behind the counter and then shoots the guy five more times while he is on the ground.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Yep, that's NOT good for the pharmacist.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMyRight2 View Post
    When the pharmacist comes back into the store a minute later and retrieves another gun from a drawer behind the counter and then shoots the guy five more times while he is on the ground.
    The activity is off-screen. What is not shown is whether the criminal on the ground was getting off the ground, continuing to show a strong willingness/ability to attack, preparing to deploy a weapon, or whatever. I have not seen any corroborated details reported as to the facts about that last criminal that was shot.

Of course, how "lost" or low-IQ or lacking in social graces the criminals were is irrelevant. They all willingly and actively engaged in a violent felony in which innocents were targeted and people died.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Evidenced by the video that the Pharmacist went out and then came back in both times with his back turned to the guy on the floor shows me that the dude was no longer a danger and then proceeds to the back again, retrieves or reloads another gun, then comes back out and walks right up to the gun lying on the floor without hesitation shows me all I need to be shown and obviously shows the prosecutors all they needed to see also, a execution took place.

A dang stupid move to a good shoot, he defended himself and then just took it to far.

As far as the other remarks, that he's lonely without his friend, he's lucky he didn't join his friend and what kind of crap is that anyways. A bunch of horsecrap.
    Last edited by Guardian; January 4th, 2010 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Wording
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

It has been said on this forum many times that you fight as you train.

Maybe the Pharmacists had told himself that if anyone tries to rob the store or himself he would just kill them.

Question: Were the employee in the store his family members?

If someone pointed a gun in my wife or daughter's face it ups the whole event in my eyes.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Sympathetic defendant.

I'd take it to trial.

Bad guys who expect their intended victims to react with the restraint of trained professionals should only rob cops.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Mic
    6 times is a bit much, but I think there is more to the story.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

That dont look good for him, the guy was clearly not a threat, if he was why approach to what looked like a point blank range?

That was an execution plain and simple, can understand the guy being enraged, and the death probably being no big loss to society....but there are rules, and our continued freedoms depend on those rules being followed ESPECIALLY when being filmed.

The pharmacist should have claimed temporary insanity. The other BG should be charged with murder.

That pharmacist is going down . . . as he should.

pax
    A few links for the curious:

Here's the initial news report: NewsOK ("Man Has No Regrets Defending Pharmacy") Pay attention to what he says in that interview, and then watch the videos below with his words in mind. (This is what he said before he was charged.)

Here's the raw surveillance camera footage: NewsOK

Here's the affadavit of probable cause: http://s3.amazonaws.com/content.news...armdoc0001.pdf

Here's a short, edited version of an interview with the prosecuting DA, which includes a few statements from Ersland's defense attorney: NewsOK

Here's the extended interview with the DA, uncut. It is hard to hear in spots, and it is WELL worth the 20 minutes it takes to view: Video Page 2009 - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

And here's an article about this DA's view of the 2nd Amendment: NewsOK (The money quote: "I do not want the charging of Jerome Ersland with first-degree murder to have a chilling effect on any person legitimately in a position to defend themselves from an assailant,” ... the decision should not cause anyone to hesitate to use appropriate force if faced by the "imminent threat of serious injury or death from another person.”)

Interestingly, at the bail hearing, the DA (prosecutor) strongly objected to the judge's order forbidding the defendant to own firearms until after the case was resolved. See NewsOK for that whole story.

This link reports on the O'Reilly interview which happened after Erslund was charged with murder.

There's also a good page here with ongoing local coverage of the situation.

There's a link to the best in-depth analysis article I've yet seen: here.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/content.news...utopsy0001.pdf (Antwun Parker's autopsy report which shows that he was flat on his back and not moving at the time the fatal shots were fired)

http://s3.amazonaws.com/content.news...letter0001.pdf (Jerome Ersland's letter to the OSBI protesting the revocation of his carry permit)

http://s3.amazonaws.com/content.news...dinterview.doc (report from interviewing detective immediately after the shooting)

NewsOK (August 2 news story outlining the different accounts Ersland has given since the shooting)

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links