Wasp Spray???

This is a discussion on Wasp Spray??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I cop told me it was more effective than mace or pepper spray when used on dogs. He said it will make the baddest mutt ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wasp Spray???

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I cop told me it was more effective than mace or pepper spray when used on dogs. He said it will make the baddest mutt turn and run. Legal risk? Of course. But for those who don't or won't carry a gun, it's an alternative.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    strange... the pepper spray I have experience with sprays a stream pretty accurate to about 8-10 feet and the can isn't very big. I would imagine you can get better cans then that.

you also don't have to hit their eyes... just getting within 5 feet of the point of impact will cause minor respiratory irritation and eyes to start burning. Most times people tell you to hit them in the chest which will cause severe eye, nose, and throat reactions causing them to gasp and cough. If you hit their face its absolutely debilitating causing temporary breathing problems and temporary blindness. Some people react to pepper spray more then others but its a pretty safe bet you would have enough time to run if you hit them with regular pepper spray.

I would rather have pepper spray then a stun gun. I would rather have a pistol then a knife... its more likely them backing down to deadly force then non lethal alternatives.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    Neither is a 2X4 intended for self defense but guess what.....if it's handy............self defense is self DEFENSE.
    Agreed, but you probably don't carry a 2x4 regularly. And if you did it would show planning, and some bleeding heart jury would throw the book at you for beating that perp into the ground like a fence post.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    It wouldn't be my first choice but... when I worked for the Phone Company I had occasion to resort to using a can of wasp spray on an aggressive dog that surprised me and it turned him right around!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Funny this topic came up.....when I started my auto locksmith buisness I didn't yet have a pistol permit. The advice I got from friends of the badge was to carry a can of commercial lock lube on my belt. If something happened spray it in there face. It's something I would need handy when unlocking a vehicle if a lock was frozen. Someone tries to physically assault me well hey....I was in the gravest extreme and feared for my life.

I would use Wasp Spray only if I could not use a Firearm, Pepper Spray, or Mace or any derivation thereof.

As an example, in MA it is hard (impossible) to get a permit, and OC is also illegal, so Wasp Spray could be a good defensive tool. :)

Joeface, thanks for the ref link to the snopes.com article -- sure generated some additional thought (and heat) on the subject.

Fortunately, in Virginia folks are not too keen on defending perps who assault and break in to homes. Plus, I expect the 2010 VA Assembly (and the new Gov) to enact the Commonwealth's version of Florida's Castle Doctrine.

JD
    Second Amendment Democrat
    Vietnam Veteran
    Dist. Life Member - NRA

(and a HAPPY and HEALTHY NEW YEAR to ALL!)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    Neither is a 2X4 intended for self defense but guess what.....if it's handy............self defense is self DEFENSE.
    Seems like a NO BRAINER to me.

Oh my, I'm in the back yard planting flowers and some thug is walking up my drive looking very menacing, and demanding I hand him over my car keys and wallet;;; oh heres a louisville slugger just inside my garage door, but wait ,I should'nt smack him over the head with it , because thats not what its intended for

Gimme a break!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lacrosse50 View Post
    True, but at least you were using the appropriate tool for the job. I'd fight that fight, maybe even hope to set a precedent. But defending yourself for using a pesticide as a self-defense tool is a bit of a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by lacrosse50 View Post
    Agreed, but you probably don't carry a 2x4 regularly. And if you did it would show planning, and some bleeding heart jury would throw the book at you for beating that perp into the ground like a fence post.

You two, see above^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

G = Guns | PG = Plenty of Guns | PG-13 = More than 12 guns
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Do they have badges and sashes for wasp spray carriers?

I have had several self inflicted ND of wasp spray in the face. It would not be much of a deterrent to me. My wife though, she was completely incapacitated with laughter.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Is it legal to carry wasp spray concealed? And does anybody make a good holster for it?

I work for a major telcom company and they provide us with "dog spray" that's good for 5-10 ft and "wasp spray" that will easily hit 25-30 ft, but only lasts 20 seconds max at full spray. I don't even bother with the "dog spray" but have 4-5 cans of the other at all times. Only problem is that it contains petroleum and in the rain becomes VERY slippery which could be a problem if cornered.
    Mykel

more later...

VIP Member

+1 Sevew

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I have had several self inflicted ND of wasp spray in the face. It would not be much of a deterrent to me. My wife though, she was completely incapacitated with laughter.
    That's my experience. I'd been wondering why so many thought it was a good sd tool.

Quote Originally Posted by booyah View Post
    Not in my state :) lets hear it for castle doctrine!

I not sure if that covers bug spray......

I use the foam kind of wasp and hornet spray around the farm, the foam sets up pretty fast. Is this the type of spray we are talking about?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links