CC in a Bank?

This is a discussion on CC in a Bank? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have heard from many people that it is against the law to CC in a bank, I have even seen no weapons signs at ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: CC in a Bank?

CC in a Bank?

I have heard from many people that it is against the law to CC in a bank, I have even seen no weapons signs at one of the banks I frequent. However as I research the topic there is no specific mention of banks in the Revised Code of Washington (RCW 9.41-300), but I know this is not an all inclusive list. Businesses have the right to restrict carry in their establishment and are required to post, but I have not found any definite “NO” in banks.

Just wondering if any one in Washington state has any input, or what the law says in your state.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Have you checked into the Federal laws on where firearme are NOT allowed? Banks fall under Federal jurisdiction.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Have you checked into the Federal laws on where firearme are NOT allowed? Banks fall under Federal jurisdiction.
    I'm not sure if this is correct. Banks are usually chartered by the state in which the home office resides. While the FDIC provides insurance, and the FBI investigates robberies, I believe it's up to the individual state and/or bank to determine if carrying is allowed.

Here in NY, the only places that are no carry zones, as spelled out in state law, are federal offices, (Post Office, Social Security,etc), courts, and schools. Our banks here are not posted, and therefore able to carry in.

I would double-check state law, or ask an attorney.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Huh? Are you sure. The last I knew federal jurisdiction fell to federal properties. These include, but are not necessarily limited to, federal buildings, federal installations such as military posts, post offices, most military recruiting offices, etc.

Banks, which follow a good many federal and state regulations are not federal property as I know it.

In Kansas in order for a bank to fall into the "prohibited places" category they must be properly posted. Not so for post offices and the like.
    Dan Hammond
    NRA Instructor
    KS CCH Instructor
    US Army (Ret)

It is not illegal on a federal level to carry in a bank. I could not find anything about banks in http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/washington.pdf in the Washington state area so I would say unless they are posted you are good to go. I carry here in MN in my banks all the time.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

It’s up to your states law.

In Florida it’s “ok”.
    Just make sure your concealed stays concealed

I've yet to see any such statute toward any states that have been relevant to where I live or travel with any frequency, and thus carry.

Many banks have their own policies against firearms being brought on to their premises. So does 7-11 and Whole Foods.
    Store based policies are not 'law'. Further how much teeth/weight they might have as related to state law varys greatly state to state. States like MA give those statements pretty much no weight at all. Akin to the 'No Solicitor' signs you see posted on peoples homes.

This is a common item that i too hear of and from what I've seen it's largely been by assumption, and urban legend.
    Akin to it's not lawful to carry into a bar or it's not lawful to open carry or it's not lawful to carry concealed (!) or it's not lawful to swim doggy style on a Sunday.

Laws vary state to state across this land of the somewhat free and home to the functionally extinct 'brave'.

- Janq carries in to banks in MA and VA, lawfully
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Banks are privately owned or publicly owned business. Unless the government owns or holds shares (and I'm not going down that road) they not federal property.

They are insured by the FDIC which in itself is not a government agency.

Credit unions may be a different story.

ETA: Also search, this subject has been around before on DC.
    Last edited by rottkeeper; January 5th, 2010 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Add last line.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

carrying in a bank depends on state laws. they're not federal property, which is a common misconception. in PA, it's perfectly legal to CC or OC in a bank.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

OK in GA. Signs don't have legal weight, so we avoid OC in banks that are posted. They can ask you to leave is about it. Conceal until your heart is content, however.

Retail banks are NOT federally prohibited. Regional Federal Reserve banks may be another story but I've never seen it in US Code.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

VIP Member
    Its ok in SC.

RPB
    No law against it in Texas, unless they post a sign forbidding it which is compliant with section 30.06 of the Texas Penal Code.
    That was actually the frst place I carried.

I'm not a lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    Its ok in SC.
    Yes that's true as long as it's not a Federally owned bank (gubment owned)
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    As far as I know, in Berea KY, it is fine. No banks here have the no-gun sign posted anywhere. The only place you CAN NOT carry here is the post office and government buildings. (city hall police station etc.) which is understood anyway.

Best!

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by RPB View Post
    It's legal in Texas, unless they post a sign forbidding it which is compliant with section 30.06 of the Texas Penal Code. That was actually the frst place I carried. I'm not a lawyer.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I carry in my banks everytime I go in. Legal in Ks as long as its not posted.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links