FL: Man w/CCW brings gun into Courthouse Facing Charges

This is a discussion on FL: Man w/CCW brings gun into Courthouse Facing Charges within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Man, 80, accused of bringing handgun into courthouse - Bay News 9 I guess he didn't read the statutes like he was required. I suspect ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FL: Man w/CCW brings gun into Courthouse Facing Charges

FL: Man w/CCW brings gun into Courthouse Facing Charges

Man, 80, accused of bringing handgun into courthouse - Bay News 9

I guess he didn't read the statutes like he was required. I suspect when the dust settles they'll likely not charge but the article say he's facing a misdemeanor.

HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- An 80-year-old man was arrested Monday after deputies said he brought a gun into a Tampa courthouse.

According to reports, guards detained Donald A. Koranek as he moved through security at the Edgecomb Court Complex in downtown Tampa. A screener noticed he had a semi-automatic handgun strapped to his belt when he removed his jacket.

Koranek told the screener that he had a concealed weapons permit, the report said.

Earlier, guards said Koranek had stepped from the line after he was told that he could not bring a pocket knife into the building. He returned to the courthouse after putting the pocket knife in his car.

Koranek is facing misdemeanor charges. His case has been referred to the Hillsborough State Attorney's Office.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I'm guessing his thought process went something like this:

"Sir, you can't bring that pocket knife in here..."
    "Oh well, guess I'll make do with the gun..."

Just goes to show ya, they can't test for common sense when applying for a license...

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post

Just goes to show ya, they can't test for common sense when applying for a license...
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

Yeah, I think there may be a tad bit of senility coming into play here.

I once entered a non-prohibited place that did use metal detectors. They made me check my pocket knife and I walked on in with my 1911 and spare mag.

In CO to be off-limits they must have permanent metal detectors in place (they did) AND screen everyone who enters (they don't screen employees) AND provide safe storage for your weapon (they don't).

It really made me shake my head. After finding my pocket knife they never made me walk back through or wanded me.

I would have to take the light rail back to the car, so I just figured I'd take my chances walking in. I asked if she wanted me to go back through the metal detectors (I would have taken it to the car then) but she said to come on in, so I did. My wife said she felt like Ferris Bueller, rubbing the rabbit's foot as I came through. I went to a different screener from her. I didn't want her face giving me away.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Gee, and my little old belt buckle sets off the TSA alarm every time. Yet Cowboy Bob with the Champion Rodeo Rider mondo belt buckle walks right thru. Go figure.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The screeners are only there to make the gen pop FEEL GOOD.

The metal detectors are set off by my belt buckle, pocket change, keys, etc. So I place them into the doggie dish with my glasses, cell phone, wallet and checkbook and they run the dish through the x-ray. Half the time the x-ray guy wants me to remove something (usually the checkbook) so that they can run it again to be sure that there isn't any contraband in all the metal.

After all that, my BOOTS still set off the detector. My Rolex doesn't, and yes, it's genuine SS.

But my pen (which can be used as a stabbing weapon) is OK. So is my briefcase (club), and my cane (club/staff) or the cord on my windbreaker (garrote). There are any number of things I can LEGALLY bring through a metal detector which can be used as a terror weapon IF I so choose (which I don't). This is because the one thing that they cannot prohibit me from bringing through the detector is myself. And so long as a human can pass through they cannot stop or defend against violence because a human can ALWAYS devise some type of weapon that cannot be detected or which will legally pass through the screening process.

The one thing I've noticed in all the situations where they ban weapons there seems to be a common theme. "They" back a guy against the wall and into a corner and then tell him that if he stays there he'll be punished. At that point the guy has little or nothing to lose so he'll fight if pressed too hard. So, given that our "system" seems to do this at whim, what do they expect.

That being said, what did the guy in Fla. expect would happen? He KNEW that it was a prohibited place.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Sad, but every CHL holder must know the laws, and especially to most obvious ones. I hope his instructor is questioned by the dept that issues licenses.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Sad, but every CHL holder must know the laws, and especially to most obvious ones. I hope his instructor is questioned by the dept that issues licenses.

Regards,
    Jerry
    In Florida there is no CCW instruction per se. We can qualify several ways and then we must acknowledge on the application that we are familiar with fs 790. Some people just don't take knowing the relevant statutes seriously enough especially on something so serious as carrying a weapon.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rolyat63 View Post
    In Florida there is no CCW instruction per se. We can qualify several ways and then we must acknowledge on the application that we are familiar with fs 790. Some people just don't take knowing the relevant statutes seriously enough especially on something so serious as carrying a weapon.
    You are right. It can be costly.

Regards,
    Jerry

That's what I was thinking. I don't want to see people loose their permit, but if you know you can't carry a knife and think that a gun must be ok, then your reasoning process isn't working correctly.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MountainPacker View Post
    I once entered a non-prohibited place that did use metal detectors. They made me check my pocket knife and I walked on in with my 1911 and spare mag.

In CO to be off-limits they must have permanent metal detectors in place (they did) AND screen everyone who enters (they don't screen employees) AND provide safe storage for your weapon (they don't).

It really made me shake my head. After finding my pocket knife they never made me walk back through or wanded me.

I would have to take the light rail back to the car, so I just figured I'd take my chances walking in. I asked if she wanted me to go back through the metal detectors (I would have taken it to the car then) but she said to come on in, so I did. My wife said she felt like Ferris Bueller, rubbing the rabbit's foot as I came through. I went to a different screener from her. I didn't want her face giving me away.
    I assume we can carry on the Light Rail and RTD busses?

Thats right and you can carry at DIA. Not through to the secure area. If there is no metal dector or screener you are good to go. Fed buildings excepted.
    Semper Fi

LOL maybe he just did it to be a PITA. I used to work with a guy like that. He always had a gun or bow in his SUV. One morning on my way to work I saw him proned out next to his SUV surrounded by police. After he made it to work an hour late we aked him what happened. "They pulled me over and I had my .44 with me. After I pulled over I helled my hands out the window and yelled "I HAVE A WEAPON!"
    Yes he was dropped on his head as a child.

As a surveyor I was in and out of court houses quite often looking up deeds and plats. Only Jackson county had a metal detector, and everything set it off. I got to where I left everything in the vehicle and the hooks on my boots even set it off. One day I was wearing a sleeveless shirt and commented that "theres nothing up my sleeve" which illicited laughter from the whole room.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Back in the days when CCL was may issue and left up to the sheriff, instead of shall issue by the State it was legal to carry everywhere, including courthouse, LEO’s departments, etc.

I guess the old guy has not kept up with the 20 year old changes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links