Another Anti-Question.

Another Anti-Question.

This is a discussion on Another Anti-Question. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a job interview today in Philadelphia (The birthplace of freedom and democracy?), about the 4th form in the packet that I had to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Anti-Question.

Another Anti-Question.

I had a job interview today in Philadelphia (The birthplace of freedom and democracy?), about the 4th form in the packet that I had to fill out was their weapons policy (zero tolerance even with permit).

It did not however say anything about private vehicles but forbid carry in the workplace.

The way I see it is:
    1) It said nothing of the property, it stated workplace.
    2) My vehicle can't be searched without a warrant.
    3) What they don't know (in my car) won't hurt them.

Your Opinions?

Note-I don't have the job yet but maybe. Though I don't care for their policy, if one needs a job.........?
    It is a 2 hour commute each way, lots of ops for road rage in gridlock conditions and I've experienced that before, a guy was actually hitting an old pu truck I had w/ a baseball bat while driving down the road.

Well if it doesn't list parking lot or your car then your good to go ...

Our contract list personal or company car specifically .. course i went in on my off day today and you bet ya i had a 38 on.. not one clock should be good my boss i have now is very pro gun the contract is from corporate

IMHO (non-attorney, TG), it says "workplace" and if it does not specifically state "parking lots and adjoining property", I would construe that as you see fit. Recognize they will not define workplace this narrowly, and would likely include the parking area. This could result in termination. You might review the employment statutes and regs, as well as case law to see if there is any guidance in Penn.

I think you've analyzed the risks correctly, though, contingent on further review of the laws and regs.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Assistant Administrator
    I would like to interpret taking ''workplace'' in the most literal and specific sense - without grey. Meaning off premises OK even in parking lot.

It would seem tho prudent to dig a bit deeper - maybe in such a way you don't simply cause a non-useful rewording!!! Subtle detective work!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

If it says no weapons on the premisis, that does not include the parking lot. Only within the treshold. Even if it included the parking lot I'd still carry and leave it in my car. Better jobless than six feet under.

Lead Moderator
    Don't ask, don't tell is my theory. If I were to keep my CCW in the truck while at work ( and it was against policy), I wouldn't mention it to anyone.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I agree with Rocky....if the question is asked for clarification's sake, then corporate counsel will only "tighten-up" their anti-gun policy to include company parking lots and/or adjacent property.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

about your car

most jobs i've held in PA (i live in scranton) have the same rule. however, "workplace", in most cases, includes the parking lot. just make sure no one knows about it. most jobs i've held (aside from warehouse jobs) won't even allow a knife onto the premises, let alone pep. spray or firearms. don't feell too bad. in scranton, i can be arrested and/or fined for carrying something like a swiss army knife or a leatherman. carrying of bladed tools is strictly prohibited in lackawanna county.

Some times "WE" forget to keep our mouth shut. Is the JOB better than your life??? Sometimes it is better to get the job and do what you need to do to keep your self alive.

frankmakol

VIP Member
    Since you asked for opinions, here's mine:

I'd interpret that as the building. Leave the gun in the car, especially with the 2 hour commute. I'm sure you are smart enough not to mention it, so how would they find out? Just let someone else drive to lunch.

As long as it's not criminal, what's the worst that would happen? Get fired? Like the saying goes... "You were looking for a job when you came here..." After all, if it turns out to be your dream job and you somehow learn they mean the parking lot, too, you could always quit carrying it to work.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I have the same situation, a 2 hour commute and a work policy that says no firearms in the workplace. I cannot drive that long in traffic with all of the road ragers around and not feel that I can safely defend myself. Get the DAC Sport Safe and mount it in your trunk. Luckily my back seat folds forward and is locking allowing me to as I'm getting my briefcase out to put my carry gun in the safe. If you don't have a folding rear seat get yourself a center of mass locking gun holder and put the gun in there first then carry it to your trunk and put it in the DAC Safe. Remember that leaving a loaded weapon in your car is dangerous too if someone breaks in, thus the reason for the safe. At least even if they break in they cant get the gun. It works really good. And just as with CCW anywhere don't tell anyone you have a gun. Not even your closest coworker. I have attached some links to see these items:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/DAC-SportSafe-Gu...QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...SI_PR4_PCN_BIX
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

100% don't ask, don't tell for me. I carried at work for years without anyone knowing. No job is worth your life.

If it syas "workplace" then I would think that you are fine to have your pistol in your car. But if it says "premises" then that would include the parking lot and all of the area that the company owns. So technically you could not keep it in the car. But then again what they don't know wont hurt them as long as you don't advertise that you are carrying.
    Crookcatchr

Theres no such thing as owning to many guns.

I have a question relating to the topic. In PA state laws are supreme and local laws can not be more restrictive. How is it a company can then be more restrictive than the state. Example, I have a friend who's work policy states no weapons, but there is absolutely nothing stopping customers from having weapons in his place of business.

As for the original question I'd say keep it in your car and keep your mouth shut about it.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by 500Mag
    I have a question relating to the topic. In PA state laws are supreme and local laws can not be more restrictive. How is it a company can then be more restrictive than the state. Example, I have a friend who's work policy states no weapons, but there is absolutely nothing stopping customers from having weapons in his place of business.

As for the original question I'd say keep it in your car and keep your mouth shut about it.
    Becuse he works there and customers dont same as my place of work i cant carry but if i go in as a customer off the clock i can

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links