Dang, I messed up my chance to buy something! (LONG)

This is a discussion on Dang, I messed up my chance to buy something! (LONG) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I answer the door how I am, which has almost always included a gun on my hip or IWB. You get me, how you get ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dang, I messed up my chance to buy something! (LONG)

I answer the door how I am, which has almost always included a gun on my hip or IWB. You get me, how you get me. If that bothers you, don't knock on my door. IT doesn't bother folks who live here.

The only time I've had anyone stutter and hesitate when I answered my door with my gun on my hip, was when it was a new LEO in our town wanting to ask if the dog he found running around out there was mine. Nope, my dog is right here , inside, where he should be. I think the local LEO's 'set him up' .

The poor guy later told me, I didn't realize so many law enforcement people live in this town.

This town is a small town that is full of Sheriff Officers, LEO's for the 'city' nearby, FBI , State Bureau of Invest, and Hwy Patrolmen. We always joke that 1/2 the population carries guns, have arrest authority, and how no one could be stupid enough to pull anything out here.

2. Remove Ads

I answered a knock at my door last night with my j-frame in my hand. But my hand was inside the pocket of the sweat pants I was wearing at the time.

I don't show off my guns to friends, why would I show them off to a complete stranger at my door.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Sorry, I don't mean to offend but I think your actions (although admittedly funny) were in poor taste. Nothing was accomplished except intimidation. Now others (more than just the guy) know you have guns and there's likely to be stories that I wouldn't want around the neighborhood. You could have taken the opportunity to explain CCW since you dedecided to make it a subject.

Sorry but I think it was in poor taste.
    Gideon

Not offended but if you knock on my door then im not going to make PREPERATIONS for anyone. I wasn't trying to intimidate anyone. i was relaxing and was not going to scramble to the other end of my house to get a COVER SHIRT i was in my jeans and t shirt. or else im not going to UNARM myself for anybody i don't know knocking at my door... i don't care if they are the pope. If i don't know you and you are knocking on my door there is a 200% chance i will have a weapon. just so happens im not going to go out of my way to make people feel better.....
    "I would rather be Judged by 12, Than to be Carried by 6"

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum13 View Post
    Not offended but if you knock on my door then im not going to make PREPERATIONS for anyone. I wasn't trying to intimidate anyone. i was relaxing and was not going to scramble to the other end of my house to get a COVER SHIRT i was in my jeans and t shirt. or else im not going to UNARM myself for anybody i don't know knocking at my door... i don't care if they are the pope. If i don't know you and you are knocking on my door there is a 200% chance i will have a weapon. just so happens im not going to go out of my way to make people feel better.....
    Not wanting to offend either, but it seems that you may have just created another "anti".

I think it was Massad Ayoob who opined along the lines of 'the armed man must go out of his way to be the nicest, most modest, most courteous and considerate guy in town'. When those of us that go about armed meet that standard we go a long way toward winning over those that have their doubts.

I too am pretty much always armed in the house (as well as outside the house), in my normal apparel that includes IWB rig and cover shirt. I guess I would only ask that you consider that you are an ambassador of all armed people when you go about armed and think about that when you answer the door in the future.

Cheers.
    Dan Hammond
    NRA Instructor
    KS CCH Instructor
    US Army (Ret)

Sounds like from your first post

"I find this kinda funny, it's the first time i have been able to do this so i had a ball!!"

that you enjoy frieghtening someone at the door by showing your gun...

Hope that's not the case....

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

I am not sure about the OP but it seems he has not been carrying too long. ( I may be wrong but that is what it seems like). Many on here have carried for many years and it is no big deal to them. But the OP is obviously excited at having the ability to protect himself and his family. I don't think him answering the door OC is any different than standing at a cash register at the local stop-n-rob OCing where it is legal. So I think we should cut the guy a break. Maybe having a ball is a bit much but he did say that he has not had an encounter like this before. I am sure the "excitement" will wear off eventually.

JMO.
    Woman With A Gun

Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession. - George Washington

Had a ball??

In my opinion this was not funny at all! Had you scared a criminal that just hit a crack pipe and then tried to rob you this might be funny. People that "have a ball" scaring young people with firearms make a bad name for the rest of us. Sorry, just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    He may wait for you to leave one day and think there may be good stuff, like other guns to steal.
    I was thinking the same thing. Or else tell his friends and one of them will get that idea. At home I try to keep my guns out of others thoughts.

Since the OP was at home, he could of been practicing CC for real while waiting on his permit. If not concealed, then holding the gun behind the door out of view. No reason to give people ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    So your intent is for anyone at your door to see that you are armed?? And if the gun is in the small of your back... how does the person see it... unless you back up to the door......

In any event I've carried guns most of my life. They are not new to me and I don't feel a "rush" by carrying a firearm. They are there if and when I need them... They are not there to freighten the UPS delivery man.....
    Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

I put the gun in my belt in the small of my back so the person at the door will not see it. I don't open the outer glass storm door until I know what they want. The only way they would see my gun would be if they attempted to push their way in.

I had a similar confrontation with a tile guy working on my house in TN, he was working around in house for 2 hours before he noticed the Glock on my hip. He was real polite after that (and did a fine repair job too).

Sheep are clueless!!!!

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I find this kinda funny, it's the first time i have been able to do this so i had a ball!!

Well i get home today and was watching the tube and LO and BEHOLD there is a knock at my door, i wasn't expecting anyone as the wife was doing homework with the kiddos so i peek out the window and see this mid 20's kid standing at my front door with a bag and piece of paper. Well since i still have 30 days left to recieve my CWP as i always do as soon as i get home i put on my Pistol OWB. And usually wear it until bedtime. (Trying to get use to wearing before the big day arrives).
    Anyhow i look at my wife and asked "should i answer the door with my Weapon in plain view?" LOL she says nahhhh but i couldn't resist!! so i swing the door open and asked if i could i help him.

He said hello sir i hate to bother you but we was out trying to sell thisssss cc cc cc cccleaner uhhh ahem sir are you a police officer? i had to hold back laughing but i let him go through his deal which was VERY short and the poor guy couldn't even hardly keep his eyes off my weapon!! i was dying laughing inside.. Anyhow when i told him i wasn't interested he didn't even try to throw out that DEAL OF A LIFETIME!! he just said "yessirr i didn't mean to bother you" and BTW that's a nice piece you have there! i said thanks and then as he was walking off he said Don't hurt nobody with that! i said no worries the only way someone is gonna get hurt by this gun is if they try something STUPID.. he was trying to agree as he seemed like he was trying to get outta my yard As fast as possible!!

Anyway sorry for the long post but i had to share what happened just about a hour ago... TWAS FUN!!! LOL
    I hope you use the next 30 days doing alot of thinking about your mindset and your actions. "Had a ball", you're making my head hurt.

I carry a gun OWB much of the time, so if I answer my own door with it on and open, no big deal. I certianly do not think that makes me a magnet for someone coming back to assault or rob me.Maybe it would have the opposite effect if anything. Give the OP a break for excersising his right as the head of his household for goodness sake.
    I'm of the opinion that it is a lot better to have it and not need it than need it and it's locked away deep inside the house where it's virtually worthless for fast access.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    I carry a gun OWB much of the time, so if I answer my own door with it on and open, no big deal. I certianly do not think that makes me a magnet for someone coming back to assault or rob me.Maybe it would have the opposite effect if anything. Give the OP a break for excersising his right as the head of his household for goodness sake.
    I'm of the opinion that it is a lot better to have it and not need it than need it and it's locked away deep inside the house where it's virtually worthless for fast access.
    Point taken; I think what rubs some wrong here, is the level of amusement that the OP enjoyed at the discomfort of his non-threatening visitor. It smacks of a 'bully' attitude, as well as a false sense of security.

The way I see it....it's the OP's house....it's the OP's rules. If he chooses to answer the door with his OWB (i.e. open carrying--which is legal in his state)...what is the big deal? If this guy at his door decides to come back later to steal his guns (which is unlikely given the guy's response), that will his (the guy's) poor choice.

I will say (to the OP)--if you are in your home, you can carry however you want (OC or CC)--you dont' need a permit to CC in your home. It's your castle.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

This reminds me of the time I lived with my parents when I first moved to Vegas in 1985. I lived with them until I found an apartment of my own. My Mom was not happy at hearing that I had been hired as an ARMED security officer. Mom is VERY anti-gun! She believes that the military & police are the only people should have guns.

When I brought my .38 revolver into the house for the first time my Mom couldn't keep her eyes off it. She wasn't quite angry at me but insisted I keep it under lock & key. She did not want that gun in HER house! Period! She had to leave the room as she was getting upset at me & my gun.

The way she kept staring at it would have made you think that it was something that was evil or something. I found an apartment of my own two weeks later. Mom was thrilled that "IT" was out of her house! My gun was either that "thing" or "it". LOL
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links