Dang, I messed up my chance to buy something! (LONG)

This is a discussion on Dang, I messed up my chance to buy something! (LONG) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ldsnet I had a similar confrontation with a tile guy working on my house in TN, he was working around in house ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dang, I messed up my chance to buy something! (LONG)

Quote Originally Posted by ldsnet View Post
    I had a similar confrontation with a tile guy working on my house in TN, he was working around in house for 2 hours before he noticed the Glock on my hip. He was real polite after that (and did a fine repair job too).

Sheep are clueless!!!!
    The workman saw your gun and that caused a "confrontation?" How was that? I take it after seeing your gun he was freightened of you. I hope that's not the case.

What did he do to make you think he was a "sheep"...... and clueless. For all you know he could have several handguns and an AK-47 in his truck.

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Point taken; I think what rubs some wrong here, is the level of amusement that the OP enjoyed at the discomfort of his non-threatening visitor. It smacks of a 'bully' attitude, as well as a false sense of security.
    It seems wrong to enjoy someone else's discomfort when seeing a firearm.... especially when the person obviously is not a threat..

But that's just me.....

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    It seems wrong to enjoy someone else's discomfort when seeing a firearm.... especially when the person obviously is not a threat..

But that's just me.....
    +1000.

I know it's easy to get excited and a little too giddy early on in the game... but the OP needs to think about the reasons WHY he is carrying, and modify his actions to fit in with that purpose.

If one of those reasons is to intimidate or impress others... UGH.
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS DAK 9mm (EDC)
    MR Micro Desert Eagle .380 acp (BUG)
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)
    Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader 12ga (HD)
    WASR 10/63 AK-47 7.62x39 (SHTF)

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    I really don't want strangers or others to know I keep myself armed. As far as I know, only my wife and sons have ever seen my pistols.(Outside of the gun shop owners.) The observant crook will see the lights, security system sensors, and noisy dog. That is fair warning for them not to come back with robbing in their heart.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Thumbs down Not so smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum13 View Post
    I find this kinda funny, it's the first time i have been able to do this so i had a ball!!

Anyhow i look at my wife and asked "should i answer the door with my Weapon in plain view?" LOL she says nahhhh but i couldn't resist!! so i swing the door open and asked if i could i help him.

TWAS FUN!!! LOL

I don't think it was so funny.
    1. It sounds like you were showing off.
    2. You intentionally frightened what was probably an innocent person.
    3. You've fostered one more "anti-gun" person.
    4. Now he knows, as well as his buddies who he is sure to tell, where a gun can be had.

Things like this we don't need.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Point taken; I think what rubs some wrong here, is the level of amusement that the OP enjoyed at the discomfort of his non-threatening visitor. It smacks of a 'bully' attitude, as well as a false sense of security.
    That's exactly my point. The O.P. can have all manner of weapons at his disposal I don't mind. But his mindset leaves alot to be desired. "had a ball", it's gonna take a while to get that out of my head.

What makes you guys think that this would cause "another anti"? You are giving the gun as much magic-power as the left does. The simple sight of a gun will not turn a neutral person into an anti-gun person.

If anything, this incident is more likely to push them toward a more accepting attitude. The sales-guy knocked on a person's door and attempted to make a sale. While the sales-guy didn't get the sale, the transaction sounded like it went relatively well. I'm sure he has had doors slammed in his face, been screamed at, etc. so perhaps he will associate an armed man with a relatively polite man. Not an easy mark for a sale, but polite none-the-less.

As for the sales-guy knowing the OP has guns at home, if his intent is an easy house to rob, a guy that is not an easy mark for a sale and is comfortable with a gun strapped to his hip is probably not the easiest guy to rob. Why risk his house when there are 5 other houses on that block that would be much simpler. Chances are they have a gun too, but don't know how to use it.

If you were going to car-jack someone, would you choose one with an NRA sticker?

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    He may wait for you to leave one day and think there may be good stuff, like other guns to steal.
    then again he just might not come back due to the fact he might get shot..........trying.
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Most of the people that go door to door selling cleaning products in my area are from halfway houses fresh out of jail trying to "better themselves". Older gentleman down the street was a victim when two young African American women demonstrated there cleaning products. One asked to use the bathroom while the other kept him occupied. He lost most of his late wife's jewelry and a substantial amount of cash in his wallet. They "cleaned" him out so to speak

They were caught but he has never gotten his property back.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Very poor taste. We carry to protect ourselves and our families, not to show off or act cool. Actions like these give the CCW community a bad name and only embolden the anti-gun nuts.

I don't find this the least bit funny.

The only actions that everyone is upset about are what he typed on this board and his attitude in private. If his original post is accurate he did not do anything to scare the person at the door other than have the gun on his hip. Which is his right and if the kid was scared then that is too bad that he (the kid) was not raised to see guns differently. Are the OP's comments about it being funny in poor taste - probably. But as far as the exchange between him and the salesperson confrontational or scary - I would say no. So that will have no negative bearing on that kid's view of guns. Or at least it shouldn't. The homeowner didn't go crazy and chase off a salesperson with a gun so maybe the kid will realize that people who own guns are not crazy. At least not all of them

I do not correlate this exchange between the OP and the saleskid as a negative one for the DC/armed community. There are many things people say on this board that when read by an "anti" would be taken as "those crazy gun nuts" - including many members sig lines.

JMHO.
    Woman With A Gun

Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession. - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ehjp8000 View Post
    Actions like these give the CCW community a bad name...
    This was actually an OC situation, unrelated to CC; maybe it should have been written in the OC subforum so all the implicitly anti-OC comments could have been avoided. If one is accustomed to OCing in public, then of course he or she will answer the door OCing as usual.

[I did read post #1, particularly "answer the door with my Weapon in plain view". He may be waiting on a CC permit, but it's still an OC situation.]

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    This was actually an OC situation, unrelated to CC; maybe it should have been written in the OC subforum so all the implicitly anti-OC comments could have been avoided. If one is accustomed to OCing in public, then of course he or she will answer the door OCing as usual.
    Read the O.P. He is waiting for his permit. He comes home at night and puts it on to get used to it.

I think there is much ado about nothing here...1-it's the OP's house; 2-he can carry any which way he wants in his house (permit or not); 3-he did NOTHING threatening (nor was he showing off); 4-the other guy had fear of an inanimate object; 5-there is nothing anyone can do to affect how someone else reacts; 6-this is not a bigger issue between "gun people" and "non-gun people"....this was between two individuals, one of whom, shared their experience here.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I think there is much ado about nothing here...1-it's the OP's house; 2-he can carry any which way he wants in his house (permit or not); 3-he did NOTHING threatening (nor was he showing off); 4-the other guy had fear of an inanimate object; 5-there is nothing anyone can do to affect how someone else reacts; 6-this is not a bigger issue between "gun people" and "non-gun people"....this was between two individuals, one of whom, shared their experience here.

Yea maybe my use of WORDS weren't the BEST to suit SOME people. I just found it entertaining, Sorry for those whom i seem to have offended.. i answered MY door. MY way. Day Or Night.

I wasn't trying to be a bully, show off, or intimidate ANYONE. i simply answered my door...

I SURE am glad i didn't mention in my OP that i was foaming at the mouth and chewing on bullets.....
    "I would rather be Judged by 12, Than to be Carried by 6"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links