Some logic behind Dr. office no carry - Page 3

Some logic behind Dr. office no carry

This is a discussion on Some logic behind Dr. office no carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CommonMan101 I bet you grin when you see it. I know I would. - 'Awww aint that the cutest little sign there. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some logic behind Dr. office no carry

Quote Originally Posted by CommonMan101 View Post
    I bet you grin when you see it.

I know I would. - 'Awww aint that the cutest little sign there. Got any with unicorns farting rainbows on it?'
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerbyron View Post
    I have yet to come across a Dr.s office that does not have a gunbuster out front.
    I don't remember ever seeing such a sign at any doctor's office, and I have lived in many cities and states over the years.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by scmed View Post
    I'm a family doc in south carolina. Here in SC you are not allowed to CC in a doctors office (without the consent of the owner of the practice) or in a hospital no matter if the gunbuster is on the door or not. Not sure what the law says in other states. Of course I never mind when I find one of my patients breaking the law. In fact I actually diagnosed a case of Kel-Tec induced sciatica a couple weeks back on a guy who carried his Kel-Tec .380 in his right back pocket of his jeans so much it was pushing on the sciatic nerve causing pain. I told him he needed to switch the gun to the other cheek every now and then!
    Is there a code for this diagnosis.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by farmerbyron View Post
    I have yet to come across a Dr.s office that does not have a gunbuster out front. It has always bothered me a bit but what can you do, you need medical attention. A couple days ago I went to the Dr. and got prescribed Cipro. I have never had an adverse reaction to any drug I have ever taken but this one I experienced many of the side effects. Anxiousness, paranoia, stiff joints, dizziness, the list goes on. I would in no way carry while under the influence of that stuff cause I did not feel my self. It made me think about how many people may be prescribed this stuff and not thinking about how it is actually affecting them. Even more so in a Dr.s office where sick people congregate. I guess I also just wanted to give a heads up if you get prescribed Cipro to be aware of its side effects.
    I was thinking some more about these comments and the risk we all have of some kind of reaction to things we come into contact with whether it's environmental, medical etc...

We all take calculated risks daily and in most case it'sso common place we don't even consider it to be a risk. Adverse reactions to medications happen and so do adverse reaction to the environment but I would not chnage what normally do unless I expect that adverse reaction and even then it would depend on the situation. Case-in-point, one day you may not be allergic to a bee sting and then the next you are and you find out while you are driving day the round in your auto, gun in tow and you get a bee/wasp sting and you go into anaphalactic shock. Does this we should never drive? Never leave the house, nope we take calculated risk.

Now if you know you have an allergy you take precautions such as tell the doc me and cipro don't get along, or you carry a shot of adrenaline or bee sting kit. As humans our allergies can/do change periodically so you never know. So, it's my opinion if you normally carry and then you had this one adverse reaction I would let change my security posture I'd just recalculate my calculated risk taking. e.g. I wouldn't be "under the influence" of cipro again.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

None of my doctors prohibit guns, and I carry most every time I visit. Course, one is an avid hunter and the other retired military.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Quote Originally Posted by scmed View Post
    I'm a family doc in south carolina. Here in SC you are not allowed to CC in a doctors office (without the consent of the owner of the practice) or in a hospital no matter if the gunbuster is on the door or not. Not sure what the law says in other states. Of course I never mind when I find one of my patients breaking the law. In fact I actually diagnosed a case of Kel-Tec induced sciatica a couple weeks back on a guy who carried his Kel-Tec .380 in his right back pocket of his jeans so much it was pushing on the sciatic nerve causing pain. I told him he needed to switch the gun to the other cheek every now and then!
    Good call. Did he have an outline of it on is back pocket like a can of skoal?
    Reminds me of the truck driver probs of having the wallet in the same back pocket all the time. Forgot what it was called.

I see it all the time in guys who have a big thick wallet but this was my first case due to a kel-tec. He did in fact have significant wear on his back pocket where the kel-tec usually sat. It was even starting to make a whole. I guess he carried all the time.

I sit here reading this and laughing, my doctor is from Columbia, I can just imagine his face when he see's me with my Walther. "Nice pistol, now take it off so I can examine you" :-D
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

I had a bad cold and congestion in my chest and went to the DR.
    Talked to the doc took some chest x-rays then was told to drop em so I could get a shot in each hip. I paused told the nurse don't be alarmed
    pulled my .45 out of my crossbreed with two fingers and set it on the exam table. The only comment made was, the nurse telling me her son would think I'm cool. I commented back to teach him the rules about gun safety if he's that interested in guns.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    A good doctor will explain the possible side effects of any medication they prescribe. It is up to the patient and their common sense to wait until they are home, before taking a new medication while carrying.
    A few months back I had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic, and the doc put me on Prednisone. No way I'd take that stuff an carry at the same time. Two days through the treatment, I couldn't handle the side effects, and quit taking it. I'd rather deal with some burning, itching rash than the awful effects of Prednisone.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

My Primary Care Physician told me that a lot of his patients are carry when they are in his office, and he does not have a problem with it. He believes in the right to bear arms!

My Doctor owns more guns than I do. Also has a CHP.
    I carry a bible and a gun. Your Point?

Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links