MA Permit Process for Non-Residents

This is a discussion on MA Permit Process for Non-Residents within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Adkjoe Not sure but I have a question for you since you live in Maine. I wanted to get a non-res for ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MA Permit Process for Non-Residents

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    Not sure but I have a question for you since you live in Maine. I wanted to get a non-res for Maine, I already have NH, and PA but it says you need to submit proof of handgun knowledge. What does that entail for a Maine Concealed carry? What did you have to do to prove "handgun knowledge"?
    I took a course and got other states permits. If I remember right, I just sent it a copy of the certificate and other permits I had at the time. Give the folks a call at 207-624-7210 and they would be able to direct you best. Here is the link for the application and state laws. Take care and Good Luck!

State Police: Licenses & Permits: Weapons Permits & Professional Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Thanks, I filled it out a couple days ago but I don't know where to take a class since Vermont doesn't require anything let a alone a firearms coarse. I have a hunting license and have owned firearms my whole life but have never taken a course besides hunters education. what type of coarse did you take, do you remember the name? I know other states like Florida require a coarse so I would like to kill more than one bird when I take a class any suggestions?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Thanks, I filled it out a couple days ago but I don't know where to take a class since Vermont doesn't require anything let a alone a firearms coarse. I have a hunting license and have owned firearms my whole life but have never taken a course besides hunters education. what type of coarse did you take, do you remember the name? I know other states like Florida require a coarse so I would like to kill more than one bird when I take a class any suggestions?
    I was wondering on that myself. I called the Maine State Police and they said that either you have to have a basic hand gun course (within the last 5 years), or if you were pervious military gun training that will fill the "Handgun Knowledge" requirement. I took a class when I was living in IL about 1-2 years ago. Perhaps a class in NH or MA would fill the requirements for ME and MA. I think that it is funny that I have used guns for 25+ years and have to re-train in MA, even though I can carry in 35 states. O well! Good Luck!

Yep. ^^

MA does not recognize out of state BHE certs nor NRA type handgun use courses that are not instructed by a certified MA instructor as toward any of their arms permit (FID) or license (LTC A or B).

I'd run into the same issue when I first moved here as from VA.
    I had a current resident CHP from VA and at that time many different course certificates including an NRA 'First Shots/Basic Pistol' cert as from a course taught at the NRA HdQ with as much actually stated on the paper certificate (!). I too had been handling and carrying guns for years prior.

No dice.

The only out I'd had though was that I had 11 yrs. prior possessed a MA LTC 'Sporting & Recreation' that had long ago expired. I had never thrown away nor lost that permit. My local PD by that changed my paper work from being a new application to that of a "renewal". Seriously. I couldn't believe it!

I'd spent close to $300 on a MA LTC-001 course at Smith & Wesson, which was well worth every penny IMHO!, and is about average for same type of _MA state police certified instructor_ specific course here in MA.

Meanwhile every other state I've applied to as a non-resident has accepted either my out of state certificates plural and/or my out of state permits plural toward their own applications.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Maineglock, when you submitted your birth certificate for your CCP did you send them a photocopy of the original
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    INS=Immigration and Naturalization Service. You would only have such documentation if you were a legal alien or naturalized citizen.

Maineglock, when you submitted your birth certificate for your CCP did you send them a photocopy of the original
    I sent a photocopy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links