The attack of the gun belt

This is a discussion on The attack of the gun belt within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Help, I've been attacked by my gun belt. I have had allergies to most metals for as long as I can remember. I've been carrying ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar

Help, I've been attacked by my gun belt.
    I have had allergies to most metals for as long as I can remember.
    I've been carrying daily for the last year and only now have I had a problem with the metal allergy. In the past couple days the very small portion of the buckle that touches my skin, above the waistband of my pants now has a red raw itchy oozing spot.
    For now during the colder weather I can easily wear an undershirt tucked in to prevent skin contact with that small area. Come warmer weather this will turn into a problem.
    Any suggestion of how to prevent the skin contact with the buckle?
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    I wear two shirts, even in the summer, usually a wife beater type t-shirt under a button up shirt or another t-shirt.

My belt has no metal. It is the flyer model of the Wilderness Tactical belt. The buckle is made of hard plastic so I don't have to remove it to go thru security. This belt may take care of your problems. Good luck.
    Bosun
    Semper Paratus
    "Never choose a life at sea--it holds you like a prison"

Two words. Cotton Undershirt.

It may not look good, depending on how visible the buckle is, what you're wearing but you could try and put some vinly tape (electrical tape) on the problem area of the buckle? You can even find other colors besides black. Just an idea...

You might try to paint the inside portion of the buckle with clear acrylic lacquer. That will seal the metal from leaching into your skin. Typically, it's the salt in your sweat that "corrodes" the metal in the buckle, and allows it to leach into the skin. If it sounds like I speak from experience, then you would be correct. I have to sand (200 grit sand paper or emery cloth) and repaint about 1 every two months in the summer.

Just some food for thought.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosun View Post
    My belt has no metal. It is the flyer model of the Wilderness Tactical belt. The buckle is made of hard plastic so I don't have to remove it to go thru security. This belt may take care of your problems. Good luck.
    Thank you Bosun! I was hoping somebody would know of a belt with a non-metal buckle.
    I can wear a tucked in undershirt now for the colder weather, but come summer, two layers will just be too warm.
    I used to paint the backside of my watch with clear nail polish to prevent skin contact, but wears off after a few days and has to be re-applied.
    I will be looking into the Wilderness Belts.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    dunno if your buckle is removable or not but if so get some clear shrink tube (or color of your choice) of the right size, apply, and apply heat to shrink it to fit nice and tight. no muss no fuss and even if someone notices...it won't look bad.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Spray lacquer on the buckle.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Mine is a Native Alaskan made fosilized Walrus Ivory Carved (vs scrimshaw) eagles head. Its tuff, very decorative and eye catching (as in as disraction from any potential printing). Oh and I just like it.

Here is one link. I actually bought mine in Anchorage but there is many available online.

Alaskan Made Belt Buckles
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

I have heard of this issue from other people. From what I understand that the sweat chemicals react to the metal and cause the reaction. I got a email from a friend of mine that travels alot (flying). There is something out there called "Beep-Free" buckles. The buckle itself is made from a non metallic material. If you have a belt that the buckle can be changed on this might be a solution....

Beep Free® Belts

I found their website...Hope that helps.
    "Rhino"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Ditto on the non-metallic buckles.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Leather covered buckle might help. You could get some leather lacing and half hitch it around the buckle to cover it up. I it doesn't work for you just remove leather and try something else. Buy a gold buckle.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Morning Rurgergirl,
    Perhaps you wouldn't know it by my collection, but I don't really care for belt buckles. I plan on purchasing a Beltman 'no buckle' belt. As a die-hard minimalist I prefer the slimmer/cleaner appearance of his Velcro option.

Gun Belts by The Belt Man | tel. (919) 387-1997 | NO-BUCKLE BELTS

Regards,
    Dan O.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Put tape on the back of the buckle?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links