Georgia Working On Concealed Weapons Law - Page 2

Georgia Working On Concealed Weapons Law

This is a discussion on Georgia Working On Concealed Weapons Law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JoJoGunn Well, for one thing, the article did not say anything about reciprocity. Does this mean they might be changing and will ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Georgia Working On Concealed Weapons Law

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Well, for one thing, the article did not say anything about reciprocity. Does this mean they might be changing and will recognize more states? It may be that this is just good for the citizens of Georgia for now.

Georgia has no reciprocity with my home state of West Virginia. I skated around that via a New Hampshire Non-Resident Permit when we visited the wife's relatives in Claxton.

I'm sure our Attorney General would love to enter into reciprocity with GA. He is one of those who believes in it and is trying to get more states on board.
    Our CCW laws in WV need to be worked out so we can get GA and other states.
    GA should expand where one can carry. Bars typically mean restaurants that serve alcohol. Why should someone disarm to go to Applebees?
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

I hope this passes, I would love to be able to carry on my campus. Though I never really feel endangered there, school shootings happen and I would love to be able to defend myself if the need arose.

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    Our CCW laws in WV need to be worked out so we can get GA and other states.
    GA should expand where one can carry. Bars typically mean restaurants that serve alcohol. Why should someone disarm to go to Applebees?

ummm....................its 100% legal to carry in Applebees in GA you just can't consume alcohol.....

and unlike Florida you can actually sit at the bar in Applebees, LongHorn etc(as long as you dont drink)
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by HKR View Post
    Legislation does not determine reciprocity in Ga, at least not directly. Ga basically recognizes the permit from any state that recognizes ours.
    Yup, that would be the Attorney General Thurbert E. Baker.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

The nastier natives in downtown Atlanta, who roam away from home, do not worry about legally carrying and concealing their fun guns, or about fighting nice polite moderate tolerant surrounding suburbanites...like my sister and her husband in Acworth, who refuse to buy or hide or use a handgun inside their nice big house next to that golf course, of course. Not that they know or care, but they were a lot safer when I was armed and staying with them down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Well your AG won't recognize our permits and offer reciprocity because Ga. doesn't require training like Ohio does.
    thats the same problem we have here in SC recognizing GA. Our law requires any state we accept to require training. Ga does not so we cannot, by our law, accept it.

They, by law, cannot accept ours because we don't accept Theirs.

Crazy ain't it?

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    thats the same problem we have here in SC recognizing GA. Our law requires any state we accept to require training. Ga does not so we cannot, by our law, accept it.

They, by law, cannot accept ours because we don't accept Theirs.

Crazy ain't it?
    It would be nice if SC would offer non-resident licenses for this purpose. It could be a revenue stream for them by requiring non-residents to pay a SC fee and also attend and pay for training in SC.

Unfortunately the law says that Non Resident licenses can only be offered to those that own property. Hard to change that one because we are busy trying to change some more important things, at least to us. Your version of it has merit though. Perhaps make so the applicant has to be licensed already in their own state. I would call it a "Neighbors License" or some such. I like the idea of it.

Two years back we had a bill that we lost control of that would have fixed this. Unfortunately some caved and compromised. We had a version that simply said "we will take yours if you take ours" and it was to be taken out of the hands of SLED to determine "same conditions of issue". There was a last minute compromise that essentially gutted it. It then said SLED must accept those that are same conditions and SLED was to go out and determine who did and list them. It however did not set an time table and SLED continues to drag along even doing that. We more of less lost that one because some among us were willing to compromise and the compromise was a bad one.

All Georgia forum members reading this thread should join GeorgiaCarry.org, and help us repeal the confusing and antiquated "Public Gathering Law", and enact other needed concealed carry reforms. Membership is only $15 a year. You can join at most gun shows around the state, we have tables at just about every show.

Also, call or send letters to your state representatives, politely asking them to support H.B. 615. (E-mails are worthless, most reps delete them.) This is extremely important, and all help is appreciated.

Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news

Many thanks.

I'm going to follow 2Adefender's advice and join GeorgiaCarry.org.

I wish CCW's were treated like drivers' licenses. Obtain one in the state you live in and it's valid everywhere...
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" Clemenza

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links