My First Concealed Carry "Issue" - Page 2

My First Concealed Carry "Issue"

This is a discussion on My First Concealed Carry "Issue" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by NC Bullseye One thing that draws much more attention than a sidearm is someone rushing to conceal one that's showing as if ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41

Thread: My First Concealed Carry "Issue"

  1. #16
    VIP Member Array Stevew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    3,513
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    One thing that draws much more attention than a sidearm is someone rushing to conceal one that's showing as if trying to hide it while doing the bobble head scan looking for anyone who may have seen it.

    It's kind of like when you drop a gun accidentally, your first reaction is to grab it. We all know that you have to learn to let it go. Same for realizing your not concealed. Act like it's the most normal thing in the world and re-cover leisurely. A smile and nod to anyone that sees it will go far.

    Think of how not to spook the sheep.
    Well stated.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato


  2. #17
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    22,415
    VA CHP is not tied to your vehicle tags, it is linked to your drivers license. The fact that the trooper followed you then went around is probably nothing more than coincidence. Since you were just south of Richmond I'd guess you were in the Chester/Petersburg area. OC is not unusual in that area, if someone freaked it was probably someone like you, who was just passing through.

  3. #18
    Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Posts
    1,455
    Quote Originally Posted by KimBobTex View Post
    not likely ... I bet the ladies called smokey to report a man with a guna at the gas station with plates & vehicle info. During the 2 mile tail, he ran your plates, saw your CCW status in good order with no wants or warrants & went on to more important matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    One thing that draws much more attention than a sidearm is someone rushing to conceal one that's showing as if trying to hide it while doing the bobble head scan looking for anyone who may have seen it.

    It's kind of like when you drop a gun accidentally, your first reaction is to grab it. We all know that you have to learn to let it go. Same for realizing your not concealed. Act like it's the most normal thing in the world and re-cover leisurely. A smile and nod to anyone that sees it will go far.

    Think of how not to spook the sheep.
    I agree with both of these statements. They probably called, and it was probably because you tried to hide it quickly. It is amazing how much you can do or "get away with" if you just act calm and like you are just going about your business and have a purpose. Not just with guns either, life in general.
    Walk softly ...

  4. #19
    VIP Member Array varob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,469
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    VA CHP is not tied to your vehicle tags, it is linked to your drivers license. The fact that the trooper followed you then went around is probably nothing more than coincidence. Since you were just south of Richmond I'd guess you were in the Chester/Petersburg area. OC is not unusual in that area, if someone freaked it was probably someone like you, who was just passing through.
    Yep, a lot of snow birds heading south on I-95. Folks from NY and NJ.

    Probably not use to seeing regular people carrying.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

  5. #20
    VIP Member Array BugDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Under a Volkswagen somewhere in Florida
    Posts
    9,452
    I OC on occasion. If you are well dressed and confident in your movements, people do not seem to get concerned. If you are dressed more casually and are rushing to conceal while looking around, people get the impression you are up to something. Since I have to do the Virginia Tuck when we eat out at a place that serves alcohol, I think nothing of unconcealing as we enter and re-concealing as we leave. I am confident in my rights and the law and I act as if it isn't any big deal...others tend to react accordingly. Just my observations.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

  6. #21
    Member Array Stranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    VA CHP is not tied to your vehicle tags, it is linked to your drivers license. The fact that the trooper followed you then went around is probably nothing more than coincidence. Since you were just south of Richmond I'd guess you were in the Chester/Petersburg area. OC is not unusual in that area, if someone freaked it was probably someone like you, who was just passing through.
    It may not be tied to your tags but it is tied to your person. When they run the tag it's nothing but a click to expand the info on the person the vehicle is registered to and therefore see the CHP status. The databases are all linked at some point. I have see this in action a few years back...This is also considering that your driving a vehicle that is registered to you.

  7. #22
    Member Array gglockster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    150
    When I read archer51 post I had the same question as stranger. I was specifically told by my Virginia firearms instructor that when the Virginia State police run the license plates a flag pops up if you have a permit to carry a concealed handgun.

    Open carry is legal in Virginia. IMHO, I think you're being a little bit too concerned. I've found the further I go away from Northern Virginia the less concerned people seem to be about Open Carry. Only real lesson here, is practice your concealed carry more.

  8. #23
    VIP Member Array BugDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Under a Volkswagen somewhere in Florida
    Posts
    9,452
    Quote Originally Posted by gglockster View Post
    Open carry is legal in Virginia...the further I go away from Northern Virginia the less concerned people seem to be about Open Carry.
    So VERY true!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

  9. #24
    VIP Member Array Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,545
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    ...As I glanced around to see if anyone noticed, a woman gassing up her car at another pump was looking at me with VERY large eyes. She quietly and quickly got in her car....
    That probably would have been a good time for you to call 911 and say;
    "Hello. My name is your name. This is not an emergency, I am at Bob's gas station on 1st street. I have a CC permit and my weapon was just seen by an elderly woman who looked very alarmed at the sight of it. I am going to be leaving here in 5 minuets heading south on I-00 in my blue Ford Focus. I can give you my permit number, lic plate, or any information that you need.

    Kind of a preemptive call in case the person who obviously noticed your carry and seemed alarmed. This will save the LEO a trip if the 911 call center can defuse the issue. They get a call about a man with a gun as "X" address, and another call from the licensed person with a gun at the same address.
    Sticks

    Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

  10. #25
    Ex Member Array MadMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    That probably would have been a good time for you to call 911 and say;
    "Hello. My name is your name. This is not an emergency, I am at Bob's gas station on 1st street. I have a CC permit and my weapon was just seen by an elderly woman who looked very alarmed at the sight of it. I am going to be leaving here in 5 minuets heading south on I-00 in my blue Ford Focus. I can give you my permit number, lic plate, or any information that you need.

    Kind of a preemptive call in case the person who obviously noticed your carry and seemed alarmed. This will save the LEO a trip if the 911 call center can defuse the issue. They get a call about a man with a gun as "X" address, and another call from the licensed person with a gun at the same address.

  11. #26
    Ex Member Array Treo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,098
    Maybe, maybe not, but seriously--- OCers need to realize that the practice alarms folks, especially in areas of the country where OC is not commonly practiced.
    Then maybe we need to start practicing it alittle more commonly

  12. #27
    Senior Member Array Avenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    nowhere, usa
    Posts
    713
    This is just "carry paranoia" and we all at some point get it. I had a guy ask me the other day while I was pumping gas what my gun was. I forgot to put on my coat and I was totally open carrying. I was stunned for a second and said its a XDm40 and he was totally cool giving me compliments on my firearm. Most people who notice your piece probably dont think twice about it, brush it off as you being LE or something. I wouldnt get too concerned about letting people see your armed, just dont let it happen again!!

  13. #28
    VIP Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Maybe, maybe not, but seriously--- OCers need to realize that the practice alarms folks, especially in areas of the country where OC is not commonly practiced.

    I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but it is the way it is.

    If the law in my state changed to allow OC, I'd expect that some folks would be wide eyed the first few times they saw someone carrying like that.

    At least the trooper didn't pull you over.
    Agree.
    Why is it a surprise when OCers see that it alarms some others?
    I agree, that is the way it is.

    If I OCd I would expect to get stares at times, and maybe questioned by LE at other times.

    Regards,
    Jery

  14. #29
    VIP Member Array Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,545
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Sarcasm comic insert
    No, I am quite serious.

    What would you prefer. A 45 second talk with a 911 operator, or a potential 45 minute roadside stop with multiple cruisers checking up on a "Man with a gun" call?
    Sticks

    Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

  15. #30
    Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ky.
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    No, I am quite serious.

    What would you prefer. A 45 second talk with a 911 operator, or a potential 45 minute roadside stop with multiple cruisers checking up on a "Man with a gun" call?
    So who is 911 going to believe? you or the first call?

    Kinda like the guy who robs a bank then calls 911 and reports that the robber is headed north while he is headed south.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Student Debate at school "Pro Concealed Carry Side" Help with ideas
    By ccroom in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: October 6th, 2010, 02:05 PM
  2. Getting lazy on the "concealed" part of concealed carry?
    By maximumrob in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: August 29th, 2010, 11:28 PM
  3. "Issue" with pocket carry
    By P J 234 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: October 20th, 2009, 09:30 PM
  4. My question promoting fair concealed carry issue in "Ask CA Gov re: budget crisis"
    By cyberdogg in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 5th, 2009, 04:40 PM
  5. "Issue isn't gun rights" -- "right for churches to set their own rules"
    By DaveH in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: February 15th, 2009, 12:36 PM