My First Concealed Carry "Issue" - Page 3

My First Concealed Carry "Issue"

This is a discussion on My First Concealed Carry "Issue" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's a weird thing but I read these kinds of stories on here and several other gun forums and I don't understand it. Open carry ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My First Concealed Carry "Issue"

It's a weird thing but I read these kinds of stories on here and several other gun forums and I don't understand it. Open carry is legal in VA. And not at all uncommon from the reports I have heard. Open carry is legal here in Tennessee also and I do OC a lot and I never have people react the way the OP describes in his first post.

Why would anyone freak out or get frightened by the mere sight of a gun in a holster on someone's belt? But, there is no explaining irrational fears that people have I guess.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    No, I am quite serious.

What would you prefer. A 45 second talk with a 911 operator, or a potential 45 minute roadside stop with multiple cruisers checking up on a "Man with a gun" call?
    I don't think a butt-covering call is a proper use of 911.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I don't think a butt-covering call is a proper use of 911.
    Well said. They might not have done anything, and the cop riding you might have been a complete coincidence. It happens.

You don't realize how busy the life of a 9-11 operator is. Don't busy it up further with "cover your butt calls." There's a reason it's called an emergency line.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    It's a weird thing but I read these kinds of stories on here and several other gun forums and I don't understand it. Open carry is legal in VA. And not at all uncommon from the reports I have heard. Open carry is legal here in Tennessee also and I do OC a lot and I never have people react the way the OP describes in his first post.

Why would anyone freak out or get frightened by the mere sight of a gun in a holster on someone's belt? But, there is no explaining irrational fears that people have I guess.
    Just a note so you don't accidentally mislead someone.

Open carry is legal in Tennessee IF you have a HCP! A person without a HCP will be charged with carrying with the intent to go armed. It's BS I know but that is the law.

Quote Originally Posted by silo View Post
    Well said. They might not have done anything, and the cop riding you might have been a complete coincidence. It happens.

You don't realize how busy the life of a 9-11 operator is. Don't busy it up further with "cover your butt calls." There's a reason it's called an emergency line.
    I can see your point but what about 2 or 3 officers rushing to the scene of a man with a gun? Any time they are responding to a call I think they are at increased risk of a traffic accident.

As for myself, I keep the non emergency dispatch number for the local police in my cell phone. I have used it a few times to report things that didn't rise to the level of an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    I can see your point but what about 2 or 3 officers rushing to the scene of a man with a gun? Any time they are responding to a call I think they may be at increased risk of a traffic accident.
    If someone reports you, they are going to physically respond regardless of what you call and tell them. That's procedure. They're not going to take your word for it over the phone. For all they know, you stole someone's driver's license and CCW permit. They're going to respond, they're going to try to track you down. Calling them isn't going to help.

As for myself, I keep the non emergency dispatch number for the local police in my cell phone. I have used it a few times to report things that didn't rise to the level of an emergency.
    I do the same thing.

If you're really intent on calling them and trying to explain yourself, I'd call the non-emergency number and ask to speak to an officer. You'll usually get patched through, and then that officer might be the one to respond and corroborate the information you gave him.

But I wouldn't call at all.

I can see your point but what about 2 or 3 officers rushing to the scene of a man with a gun? Any time they are responding to a call I think they are at increased risk of a traffic accident.

I was driving through the area, so would not have any reason to have the local gendarme's non-emergency number. I was not worried because I wasn't doing anything illegal. Could I have been inconvenienced? Possibly. But in an OC-friendly state like VA, the woman could just have easily made a "man with a rubber duck" call to 911.

The family and I were on the way to a BBQ on Saturday and I made a stop at the grocery store first. I got out of my truck and realized my sweatshirt had ridden up a little high. I pulled it down but the guy parked directly across from me must have gotten a glimpse of my Kahr.

Needless to say we crossed paths a couple of times in the store and he'd stare me down until I passed by.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    No, not at all. Lady at the pump probaby dialed 911 as quickly as possible to report a "man with a gun".

The Trooper was probably just as angry at having to "tail" you, but it was his duty to at least check you out, just in case you were waving said firearm wildly about. I can almost hear his grumbling.

It is amazing how just the sight of a firearm can bring sheer terror into the flock of sheep.
    Yeah, it really angers me to see the reaction of the naive sheeple out there when they see a firearm. Poor little idiots. Their only hope is to learn the truth one day, but they would not believe it even when presented with undeniable proof because they have been conditioned well over the last 3 generations or so. So sad, their feeble little minds are so vulnerable to input by the machine.

I often stop to gas up at stations on US 1 or Us 460 in my area, while open carrying and have never had any issues. At this time of year, my gun is usually concealed by my winter jacket. Of course, these stations are in Dinwiddie county, and rural areas are more used to seeing guns than around Richmond.

No coincidence, he probably ran your plates at least, and observed you and your driving for those 2 miles. When you have been doing it a while, your "gut" tells you if the guy you are following is a bad guy or not, by his driving and other factors.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links