My First Concealed Carry "Issue"

This is a discussion on My First Concealed Carry "Issue" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I were driving south on I-95 & I-85 last night and stopped for gas just south of Richmond, VA around 10:30 pm. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My First Concealed Carry "Issue"

My First Concealed Carry "Issue"

My wife and I were driving south on I-95 & I-85 last night and stopped for gas just south of Richmond, VA around 10:30 pm. We had a five-hour drive from NoVA to our destination, so I had removed my overcoat for the trip. My P226 was riding in a yaqui slide holster on my belt - shirt untucked over the gun.

We pulled into a busy, and well-lit gas station. My wife had her snubbie in her coat pocket and walked into the station to get something to drink. I got out to fuel the truck and as I was opening the back door to get my overcoat, I touched at my Roscoe and realized my shirt had ridden up over the gun, leaving it exposed. I quickly pulled it over the gun.

As I glanced around to see if anyone noticed, a woman gassing up her car at another pump was looking at me with VERY large eyes. She quietly and quickly got in her car. I put on the coat, and finished pumping the gas. I went in to use the bathroom when my wife came out, and we left and got back on the interstate headed south.

Just as we were leaving, I noticed the car with the woman who may have seen my piece had another middle-aged female who was riding with her finish pumping the gas.

Soon after I was rolling south, a VA state trooper was on my tail for about two miles. He then pulled around me and got off the next exit.

Coincidence?

2. Remove Ads

Isn't open carry legal in VA? Anyway, it could be coincidence. I wouldn't think twice about it.

VIP Member
    Maybe, maybe not, but seriously--- OCers need to realize that the practice alarms folks, especially in areas of the country where OC is not commonly practiced.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but it is the way it is.

If the law in my state changed to allow OC, I'd expect that some folks would be wide eyed the first few times they saw someone carrying like that.

At least the trooper didn't pull you over.

not likely ... I bet the ladies called smokey to report a man with a guna at the gas station with plates & vehicle info. During the 2 mile tail, he ran your plates, saw your CCW status in good order with no wants or warrants & went on to more important matters.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Coincidence?
    No, not at all. Lady at the pump probaby dialed 911 as quickly as possible to report a "man with a gun".

The Trooper was probably just as angry at having to "tail" you, but it was his duty to at least check you out, just in case you were waving said firearm wildly about. I can almost hear his grumbling.

It is amazing how just the sight of a firearm can bring sheer terror into the flock of sheep.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by KimBobTex View Post
    not likely ... I bet the ladies called smokey to report a man with a guna at the gas station with plates & vehicle info. During the 2 mile tail, he ran your plates, saw your CCW status in good order with no wants or warrants & went on to more important matters.
    Agreed, most likely explanation.

One thing that draws much more attention than a sidearm is someone rushing to conceal one that's showing as if trying to hide it while doing the bobble head scan looking for anyone who may have seen it.

It's kind of like when you drop a gun accidentally, your first reaction is to grab it. We all know that you have to learn to let it go. Same for realizing your not concealed. Act like it's the most normal thing in the world and re-cover leisurely. A smile and nod to anyone that sees it will go far.

Think of how not to spook the sheep.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant48 View Post
    Agreed, most likely explanation.
    +1 on the most likely explanation...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

It is possible that she freaked and called the cops.. Being from VA and OC'ed often (mainly when I go somewhere where CC is off limits and forced to OC then forget to re-conceal), I have never had anyone call the cops on me.. Well, If they did, I was never stopped or noticed a cop following me.. I think your quick attempt to re-conceal your firearm might have been what set the lady off.. I have found that if you are confident about what you are doing, people just move along..

VA is an OC state and a lot of people do it here.. You usually get more bug eyes or strange looks from the larger cities.. Generally most of the LEOs in VA know the laws and won't bother you if they notice you carry.. I have passed several LEOs while walking around OC'ing and I will get stopped to ask about my firearm and where I practice at.. General gun-guy to gun-guy questions..

OCing might make some people nervous, poorly done CC and suspicious looks to make sure no one saw the gun will rightfully make most people a bit nervous.

Maybe? At least here in OR & WA the CC permit is tied to the drivers license - not the vehicle tag.

I'd agree with running tags and seeing it wasn't stolen and saw you do nothing else suspicious and went on with life. Respond out of duty to double check a report, but not worry too much since a gun isn't a big deal and you obviously didn't rob the place.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    It is amazing how just the sight of a firearm can bring sheer terror into the flock of sheep.
    People instantly think BG w/ gun. Seriously ??...... the media has totally warped America.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by LethalStang View Post
    the media has totally warped America.
    Sadly, I believe you are correct.

There is no OC in Texas and I really wish there was.

There may be time and place where I could use more that I can CC.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by tsaphah View Post
    Maybe? At least here in OR & WA the CC permit is tied to the drivers license - not the vehicle tag.
    When tags are run, it shows the registered owner. From there, pulling up that person's DL info, warrants, criminal history, and CHL status is just a click or two away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links