Hearing Protection

Hearing Protection

This is a discussion on Hearing Protection within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many here actually understand how important adequate hearing protection is, What? What did you say? Hearing protection is extremely important and shoud not be ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hearing Protection

VIP Member

Hearing Protection

How many here actually understand how important adequate hearing protection is, What? What did you say?

Hearing protection is extremely important and shoud not be taken lightly as a shooter.

Only one round going off without proper protection can lead to permanent hearing loss.

Nerve loss can not be helped by hearing aids. You will loose hearing clarity that your can not regain.

When shooting, take care to protect yourself to the maximum extent possible.

I use combat ear screws NRR 22-24 in combination with a good quality muff of at least NRR 26.

If you use the cheap $13.00 muffs rented at a range, your ears can easily be permanently damaged with just one round going off to close to you.

That is a fact. Once you loose your hearing, It is gone forever.

Protect yourself with the best possible hearing protection available if you want to continue to be able to hear clearly, What?
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Huh? I couldn't hear you...

sorry, I couldn't resist...
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    What did he say?

He he, I use Peltor electronic muffs!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    What did he say?

He he, I use Peltor electronic muffs!
    Same here. I love them! Definitely worth the expense to know our hearing is well-protected.

Plus, they come in pink now!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I use this combo. Do you think its good enough. 4$ ear plugs with 10$ muffs. Both off ebay.
    Attached Images

VIP Member

Hearing Protection

Guys,

It may seem frivolous for me to even mention hearing loss it but it is SO important that I want to drive the importance of hearing safety precautions home as often as possible.

It may seem like a funny joke but it is not. Once you loose hearing it is gone.

When you can't hear, you are effectively disabled. You will not be able to hear in the woods and you will not be able to hear a TV program clearly.

Well, maybe being partly deaf has some benefits. You don't have to listen to what you don't want to because you can't

Please always wear proper hearing protection when shooting.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Sig....
    Couldn't agree more!!!
    As a former broadcaster (~30 years...) I'm beginning to notice my hearing "going south"; the high frequencies (^~8KHz) just aren't there the way they used to be.....some of this is just the male of the species getting older.....but SOME is due to carelessness in my youth (pre-teen) while shooting off fireworks.....
    Remember..... hearing is like "fast money"....once it's gone.....it's gone for good!! Like the bullet out the muzzle.... there's NO bringing it back!!
    Wear that ear (AND EYE!!!) protection.....and STAY SAFE!!

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Only one round going off without proper protection can lead to permanent hearing loss.
    I can attest to that thanks to a buddy firing his rifle behind my left shoulder. He was about seven to ten feet away from me when he decided to fire a round off and didn't tell the rest of us. I was the closest got the worst of it from the percussion. I guess it could've been my fault too, but we were taking a break and I wasn't the only one caught off guard. As a result I have a loss of about 20% in that ear. Could've been worse I guess, but still sux to lose anything due to negligence with a firearm.

Goes without saying but, Keep your ears on and when shooting with others communicate constantly.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I do agree that hearing protection is very important while out at the range. I also suggest everyone shoot without it at least once to fully grasp what the sound will be like if the time arrives.
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

Yup, I never used protection when I was a kid out shooting the 12 gauge and rifles in the yard and now I am paying for it, I can't hear ****.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

My hearing was damaged in Vietnam, from cannon fire of our tanks. Every hearing test since then shows a steady, even decline to the point that I am now about 70% deaf. That plus continuous ringing of the ears, is not easy to live with.
    GOOD ADVISE !!~

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Too late. Too many years around jet engines in the A.F. Constant LOUD ringing now.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    26 db muffs with ear plugs so i can take the muffs off when i fire my rifle....i hate them tapping on the stock...drives me crazy...its the noise cancelling ability that counts...dont fall into the i have to spend a fortune to get good protection game...

as an automotive technician for 16 years and still in the business as a manager i was exposed to enough loud noises for enoough years to lose a good protion of my hearing and develop mild tinitus...it does suck and was preventable...i started wearing hearing protection at work way too late and to this day am one of very few who did and currently do...

On a serious note, due to very severe ear infections in both ears (and I'm sure dozens of rock concerts and 4 years in the machine room of a furniture mill didn't help), I now have constant tinnitus (high pitched ringing) in the ears. Sometimes it changes key and/or volume for some reason. I notice it much more when it is very quiet, but it is 24/7 and can drive you crazy. I always wear ear plugs while shooting, but perhaps that isn't enough.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    On a serious note, due to very severe ear infections in both ears (and I'm sure dozens of rock concerts and 4 years in the machine room of a furniture mill didn't help), I now have constant tinnitus (high pitched ringing) in the ears. Sometimes it changes key and/or volume for some reason. I notice it much more when it is very quiet, but it is 24/7 and can drive you crazy. I always wear ear plugs while shooting, but perhaps that isn't enough.
    Amen to that! Sounds exactly like me. Pinggggggg-ringgggggg!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links