Getting old - Page 2

Getting old

This is a discussion on Getting old within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; An alternative sight setup: XS Sight Systems The big front dot is easy to see. Just cover the target with it and squeeze....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting old

An alternative sight setup:
    XS Sight Systems
    The big front dot is easy to see. Just cover the target with it and squeeze.

Last time I went to the eye doctor, I told him to fit me with progressive lenses with the focus at the center of the lens about 3-1/2 ft from my eyes (distance to front sight). Works great! At the bottom of the lens, I see close up, in the middle, the front sight and at the top, the target. BTW, I'll be 68 next month.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Not to hi-jack the forum, but my dad (59) had the same problem the last time he was at the range. He soon realized the targets get much clearer if you take the protective film off the safety glasses before you try shooting with them.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Point Shooting was mentioned and I 2nd that.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I had LASIK eye surgery, exchanging my near sighteness for being able to see better, without glasses, at a distance...but then having to use cheap reading glasses at close range. Now, I try to CCW shoot quick with both eyes open, hopin' to hit a target, while trying to resist the left-eye-squitting way that I was trained. My gun sights are likewise blurry at the end of my hand! Still, my guns and I are good enough...maybe.

Add another vote for laser sight (CT)... focusing on the target instead of the front sight works well for lasik patients.

66. I've gone out of warranty too! Smile at them until they get so close you can't miss! Nobody expects old guys to be fair!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Here ya go,,,, I made something so you old farts could see the x
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    66. I've gone out of warranty too! Smile at them until they get so close you can't miss! Nobody expects old guys to be fair!
    As they say: "Age and treachery always beats youth and skill"

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Point shooting eliminates the need for eyes in their sixth decade to rely on the sights...
    +1 for point shooting. I have no idea what the odds are, but I'm thinking the majority of gun fights start out with point shooting while the combatants are either seeking cover, or trying to flee.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I can still see the RED DOT , better than the sites

If you want a real "target-practice", as opposed to Self-Defense practice when you're attempting larger area for hits, shorter SD distances etc., you could try contacts, or progressive bi-focals. SInce I don't routinely wear glasses when I CCW, I don't want them when practicing SD, so after 50' or so, target is blurred but I'm just interested in a 6" circle when aiming and i can see on the target where that is and that's enough for me. The rest is point shooting anyway for most SD distances, and shooting from the hip etc., so it's a moot point for me if it's crystal clear.

All that said, I still enjoy pretty good vision so I don't really feel greatly handicapped. Yours may be a real trial for you.We're lucky though. One fellow who regularly goes to my range is wheel-chair bound, but he knows how to work around it, and his guns and practice are a great comfort to him so he's happy with what he can do, doesn't focus on what he can't. And he's a very good shooter - and is there often. Admirable man - and too young to be in a wheel chair. So relatively speaking, we don't have it so bad.

Good luck. I don't like growing older either. Let's start a class-action suit against Nature.

I get a kick out of all these young bucks with good eyes suggesting different ways to hit a target. Their time is coming. I'm 61 and I have to use tri-focal lenses. As a result, I've had to stop competition shooting because you simply cannot focus on the front sight quick enough for speed shooting. So, now at the range putting holes in paper I have to use the top lense to get the front sight in clear focus. Or, as suggested a laser sight would help. Getting old sucks in many ways.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

When I visited the Eye Doc, I told him I needed to see my front sight and out to 25 yards clearly. He asked me to bring in a gun. He set up a target at the farthest point in his building and I held my gun up. He proceeded to flip lenses in front on my eyes until I could see the front sight clear and the target clear. These are now my shooting glasses. I can't read with them but I can pass the driving test with them. My scores have gone up. On carry / home defense J-frames, I use CT's. Just in case I don't have my glasses.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Be 59 in a few months. I don't bother past the 7 yd. line for any handgun practice and work at 10' down to nose touching with point shooting. Decott makes shooting glasses with an adjustable nose bridge and an inverted bifocal set to the distance you want to bring the front sight into sharp focus. The target can be a blur as long as you can see the front sight you can put them in the X. With these I can hold the X ring if I am testing loads during slow fire.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links