Spent the day with a bunch of great white hunters

This is a discussion on Spent the day with a bunch of great white hunters within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A buddy of mine invited me to a gathering way outside the city yesterday. It was a bunch of guys doing some shooting on a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

A buddy of mine invited me to a gathering way outside the city yesterday. It was a bunch of guys doing some shooting on a farm. They set up a t.v. in the barn, fired up a few propane heaters, and put some pots of chili on. While we were waiting for the game to start, they had the shooting outside.

While none of that is unusual, I had a few conversations and observations that were interesting.

I think it was about 10 degrees, but no wind, so it wasn't bad. Besides, everyone dressed for the weather. About 50% had camo hunting gear on of some type. Mayby 10% were wearing hunter-orange clothing articles. The rest were wearing either carharts, jeans, or a combo. I was the only one in a military surplus parka.

The great white hunters
    As I looked around the barn, once everyone had gathered inside, I was amazed at what I saw: maybe 70 guys, 90%+ hunters, all dressed in their individual ways for hunting. These guys were self-controlled, calm, respectful to each other... I didn't hear a cross word or an angry word the entire day (about 6 hours).

As I observed them speaking to each other, I was and am amazed at their demeanors. Hard to put into words, but I'll just put it this way: they reminded me of what I've read about the Continental army... I'd guess most every one of these guys was deadly with a rifle, and would be willing to use one if the need arose.

If the federalies ever wake this sleeping giant, or decide to kick this sleeping bear in the nose, I think perhaps the ducks in Washington may, just may, be given a history lesson.

Oh, and to explain my title--not trying to make this a racial issue, but I was struck by the racial composition:
    70 whites (approx.)
    2 African Americans
    1 Latino (that I could tell)
    0 Asians
    All males

The demeanor of the gents, to a man, gives me hope in America.

I would not want to face these men armed, especially at greater-than-pistol distances.

Big guy with the carbine
    At one point before the game, I was standing outside around a fire. This big guy next to me (one of the few non-hunters) out of the blue says, "I just got a 9mm carbine." After I extolled the virtue of having a rifle and pistol of the same caliber, he says, "It's in my truck. Wanna see it?"

So he opens his truck, pulls the carbine out, and hands it to me. I tried not to let him see me drooling... not sure if I succeeded. He had another rifle case next to the carbine, as well as a bunch of other stuff that looked interesting, but we only looked at the carbine. I was rather surprised and honored that this total stranger would be so open to me about his new weapon.

Guy in front of me
    Just before kickoff, once most were inside, the guy sitting in front of me strikes up a conversation with me. I know him a little from the past, but I had never discussed guns or defense with him at all. Well, he brings up the topic and says he and his wife are starting to think they need to be armed in their house. I can tell he's given it a lot of thought, and while he doesn't like the thought that it is necessary, he nontheless has concluded it IS necessary.

Welllllllllllll, that gave me an opportunity to volunteer my pistol services to him and his wife. I volunteered to share what I've learned over the last few years, either at my house or his, either with his wife present or not, all depended on him. Any time, any place, any day of the week at his choosing.

He wants me to come to his house so his wife can be in on it. She's on board with him thankfully... I made sure he had my contact info, and I can just about guarantee we'll be getting together soon. I'm already preparing what to bring. In addition to a good supply of pistols and holsters, I'll print out the 4 safety rules... May even provide them a list of websites depending on their specific interests. I will refer them to DC if they are the least bit interested.

Guy beside me
    Another guy I've known a bit from the past sits down beside me. This guy truly is a "great white hunter". He's probably taken 50 deer in his life, not to mention boar and other stuff.

But he's now looking for a handgun. He's concerned, extremely concerned, about where this country is heading. He also says his wife is interested in a pistol. He mentions a specific pistol he'd heard about. Soooooo, I tell him to see me before he leaves for the day.

After the event was over, we sit in his truck, and I pull out the exact pistol he had mentioned. I unload it, check it, and hand it to him to fondle. He likes it a lot. I offer my services to assist him and his wife in the selection and use of pistols. I may be getting a call from him soon also.

My gear I took
    I misunderstood the event schedule for the day. I thought there would be pistol shooting. The buddy I rode with has been shooting with me before, but he wants to shoot again. He's still trying to get the money to buy a pistol, plus dealing with his Christian wife who falsely IMO doesn't think Christians should have guns.

So I took a good selection for him to shoot. My mistake: it was only shotgun shooting. Anyway, I had several pistols on me, 1) because I don't feel comfortable leaving them in an unguarded vehicle, and 2) good thing, because his van rear door wouldn't shut. It was held closed by a bungee cord. I'm not knocking it or criticizing, just saying how it was.

I'll go ahead and mention the following although it has high potential to be misunderstood, that is, my motives for doing it and mentioning it. Some will think I'm nuts, others that I'm bragging or showing off. Neither, I hope--just stating what was. I concealed 7 guns on me:
    • 4 9mm's
    • 1 .380
    • 1 .45
    • 1 .357
    I wanted to give him a good cross-section to shoot. Didn't shoot any, but it isn't hard to conceal so many with the right holsters and a large overcoat.

Observations and Conclusions
    There is hope in the heartland. Some hope in the cities as people I know are arming up, people who a few years ago wanted nothing to do with pistols either on them or in their homes.

These men I observed would make a formidable army given leadership and direction. I would not want to be facing their guns. Most of them are proficient at rifles. Several had deer parts in their vehicles... not sure why, maybe coming home from a hunt, or transporting antlers somewhere...

My point is, and the greatest impact the entire day had on me, is that there is a sleeping giant in this country--men who are entirely capable and willing to defend their families against all threats. (Not slighting the ladies here, just that this was a men's-only event.)

Gazing around at the men inside that barn, observing them in their many conversations, their demeanors and interactions... these men are entirely capable of whatever they set their minds to do.

If anything happens in this country to where men find it necessary to take up arms, due to enemies either foreign or domestic, my goal is to be behind their scopes rather than in front of them.

These men are capable.

It would be a grave mistake to think they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    There is hope in the heartland. Some hope in the cities as people I know are arming up, people who a few years ago wanted nothing to do with pistols either on them or in their homes.

These men I observed would make a formidable army given leadership and direction. I would not want to be facing their guns. Most of them are proficient at rifles. Several had deer parts in their vehicles... not sure why, maybe coming home from a hunt, or transporting antlers somewhere... .

My point is, and the greatest impact the entire day had on me, is that there is a sleeping giant in this country--men who are entirely capable and willing to defend their families against all threats. (Not slighting the ladies here, just that this was a men's-only event.)

Gazing around at the men inside that barn, observing them in their many conversations, their demeanors and interactions... these men are entirely capable of whatever they set their minds to do.

If anything happens in this country to where men find it necessary to take up arms, due to enemies either foreign or domestic, my goal is to be behind their scopes rather than in front of them.

These men are capable.

It would be a grave mistake to think they are not.
    Away from the bigger metro area's where, it seems, most of the liberal 'gun grabber, the goverment will take care of us' attitudes reside, are the heart and soul of our (still) Great Nation.

Grady, your post has welled my heartwith pride. Glad to hear and read such an objective report.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Great post grady. As usual well thought out and to the point.

I agree with your observation. There is a sleeping giant out there. One that the bureaucrats don't want to wake. Once roused it will be like the bear coming out of hibernation. Angry, hungry and something no one in their right mind wants to cross paths with.

Great post Grady.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    The vision of Grady with seven guns in his smart carry....

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    the vision of grady with seven guns in his smart carry....
    lololol!!!!!!!!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

As always, a good read from Grady...

There is hope.

bosco

One thing I have come to learn over the years is how much an event like shooting can bring people together,over the years I have shot with people that owning firearms in their countries is Illegal and when they get to shoot mine almost pee themselves from excitement.I had two friends I ride with,and In South Texas a White Man is a minority,took their CHL class yesterday after being around me for about a year and learning that I always carry concealed,I have taken several people to the gun range and taught them to shoot and helped them select Firearms for protection.People are waking up and they realise that the Gubment can't protect them.Won't be too long when we ride and at least 1/2 the riders will be legally armed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member

Grady's COOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Away from the bigger metro area's where, it seems, most of the liberal 'gun grabber, the goverment will take care of us' attitudes reside, are the heart and soul of our (still) Great Nation.

Grady, your post has welled my heartwith pride. Glad to hear and read such an objective report.
    ^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Great post grady. As usual well thought out and to the point.

I agree with your observation. There is a sleeping giant out there. One that the bureaucrats don't want to wake. Once roused it will be like the bear coming out of hibernation. Angry, hungry and something no one in their right mind wants to cross paths with.

^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    The vision of Grady with seven guns in his smart carry....

+1^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    YOU got Pictures??

Grady, You truly sound like a great Ambassador for Concealed/open carry/ Self-defense Job well done!!!

Thanks my Man!!!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Great Post!

Brings back memories.

A few years ago, I took a city guy to a couple similar events and subsequently to a hunt on the club property/lease as a guest.

Although he was a hunter, his experience was more solo-State-game-land based. However, his reaction paralleled yours.

The only additional observation (and it floored him) was how democratic the organization/operation was.

Our club included a range from a former Governor to farmhands and laborers (with two sheriffs and other currently serving pols, some well know businessmen, big farm owners, small farm owners, shop owners, and others from all stratas thrown in); from the very rich to fairly poor. Yet, we all worked together with respect. Although the club treasure was one of the money-men (a banker) the current president was a small farmer (who knew the land we hunted far better than most members). The board & people in charge of various events was a mix. BTW -- the dues structure was a flexible $ and/or hours of work deal. If you worked (and there was a lot of work to be done) it was very reasonable. Otherwise, it was rather dear.

My friend had trouble believing that these men could pull together for a common purpose w/o letting socio-economic differences get in the way.

I not sure I am as optimistic as you, as we, as a nation, become more urbanized/suburbanized and the heartland becomes less defining of our nature.

But I sure hope you are right about the future.

I know you are right about the heartland.
    Last edited by DaveH; January 10th, 2010 at 12:22 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Nice confidence building (in the USA) post...any of them have pistol permits? Did that come up in conversations?

Last edited by RETSUPT99; January 10th, 2010 at 01:02 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Nice post and a great reminder of who/what this nation is composed. It does, indeed, give one hope.
    NRA Life member
    USCCA member
    A muscle not exercised will eventually atrophy.
    A right not exercised will eventually be taken away!

Good post Grady,
    I got a little misty there......

I believe in the sleeping giant concept as well.

I have to.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Great post, Grady. Yep, you'll find that those who are legally armed are polite folks. We treat others as we would like to be treated, not as the government wants to treat us.
    oldogy, who is always polite
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That's what it's all about! God bless the real America.

But how did you stand upright with 7 CWs on you?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links