Took my chl class today

Took my chl class today

This is a discussion on Took my chl class today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took my class today for my utah chl. I live in texas but we have a place here that gives the chl class for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Took my chl class today

I took my class today for my utah chl. I live in texas but we have a place here that gives the chl class for utah it's in florence, tx. It's perfectly legal I did my homework. I recommend it to it's only 4 hours and cheaper than the texas permit also. One thing the instructor said though is that they just changed the law in texas and that it's not against the law any longer to not notify the leo that you are carrying. He also said that since it is a utah chl it does not show up when they run your plates. Is this all true? Ofcourse he said he shows it anyway. But as far as I'm concerned if I'm not breaking the law I'm not going to let them know or show it. I live close to williamson county and they are bad. I don't need them throwing a bag of cocaine in my car because they like my gun

after I did my Utah it took just about 6 months to get the permit after I sent in the info..but that was yrs ago...Mn took exactlly 30 days if I recall...both are up for renewal nxt yr again.
    OD 19.........G26 and a few more .
    Gun Controll Means Using Both Hands..

i've heard utahs taking 6 to 7 weeks lately. I've got a couple friends that just got there texas chl's and it took a little longer

I recommend PA's..there is no class you just go to the courthouse/sheriffs office fill out the forms and 2 weeks later with no record you get your CC permit :) .

NY's on the other hand SUX no class to get it but you are gonna wait 6 months on a good day..it took me 6 months to get mine when I was in NY and I was on a Police Department at the time....

Quote Originally Posted by HALLOWEEN Z View Post
    One thing the instructor said though is that they just changed the law in texas and that it's not against the law any longer to not notify the leo that you are carrying.
    Sort of. I believe that the law still says that you're supposed to notify, but the penalties for failure to notify have been removed.

He also said that since it is a utah chl it does not show up when they run your plates.
    This is probably true.

What Grant said is correct:

It is still required by law (in Texas) that you notify the officer, however the immediate penalty for failure to notify has been removed. I am unsure as to whether or not a higher authority than the officer (a judge, for instance) could still revoke your license.

When I first started CCW one of the things I considered was what I would do in a traffic stop situation. Since we don't have to inform here I decided I wouldn't say anything unless ordered out of the vehicle, at which point I would say something like: "To avoid any surprises I think I should let you know I'm carrying." So far the situation hasn't come up.

VIP Member
    Since anyone who can legally own a handgun can carry it in their vehicle, in Tx, LEO's will consider there to be a gun in every vehicle he stops... If he knows you have a CHL, it should ease his mind a little...

Remember, your CHL only means you had a clear record when your application was approved...

Personally, I will notify if I ever get stopped...but I'm a retired LEO...

BTW, the requirement for CHL holders to inform has not been removed. They only removed the penalty for failing to notify..
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

The reason they removed the penalty was because you can have a concealed weapon in your vehicle without a ptc and not have to inform. I don't why they just didn't make the law the same for permit holders rather than removing the penalty.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkychuck View Post
    I don't why they just didn't make the law the same for permit holders rather than removing the penalty.
    That would be too logical... During the next legislative session, it will probably get fixed... They're too busy spending our money to pay attention to details...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I understand the strange way he worded it in class now. I personally am really annoyed at the fear of guns in this country. It's like were all brainwashed from tv including some officers. Someone asked in class if it's ok to carry loaded...I'm not kidding

Someone asked in class if it's ok to carry loaded...I'm not kidding
    Yeah, had that same question asked in my class. I actually had to turn around to match the person with the question. Then I

The instructor handled the question perfectly...and with a good tone to boot.

VIP Member
    a person's Texas CHL status coming up on the computer when a tag is run is hit and miss with local departments, your Utah permit won't show up at all when checking Texas records

Williamson county LEOs bad?
    a few years ago I got pulled over for doing about 10 or 11 over 11:45pm, deputy came to my window, introduced himself & asked for ID, I kept hands on wheel and said I have a CHL and a pistol on my hip and one in the console.....he tapped the door and said have a good night and walked away, I never got my wallet out

as others have said, it is still required to notify but they made this situation wishy washy by saying there is no immediate penalty for not informing...but if you get the right judge you could be penalized
    this was a compromise to get at least something done about the problem, mainly that some people were getting arrested/having to go to court since they were carrying a handgun in their car before they had a CHL in hand (which is legal) but the DPS computer return showed they had one.....just hadn't made its way to the person's home yet
    this truly needs to be fixed in the next session, as well as the screwed up knife laws

Since anyone who can legally own a handgun can carry it in their vehicle, in Tx, LEO's will consider there to be a gun in every vehicle he stops... If he knows you have a CHL, it should ease his mind a little...
    TX-JB hit this one on the head

also, I too heard all kinds of off-the-wall questions in my class, and I now hear them as a LEO, in fact I just heard one a few days ago at Gander Mountain where the guy at the gun counter was giving incorrect info to a couple there looking at some guns, he told them that its state law that you have to show your CHL to an officer when you get stopped whether you have your gun or not I wish these people would read the law before they spew this garbage from their pieholes, ok rant off

good luck with the license app
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I have been stopped once while carrying and it was a pleasant experience, was only given a warning. TX DPS said after I handed my DL and CHL "do you you have it with you?" I said yes and told him where then he said "just don't reach for it" then he wrote me a warning and I was on my way.

In most places in Texas if you don't exhibit any other characteristics of a bad guy and your plates run clean, I think you are given more leniency for having a CHL.

If or when I ever get caught opps I mean pulled over I more then likely will give the Sheriff,HP or LEO both ID's just to make things easier even though I don't need to inform at the time unless asked.
    OD 19.........G26 and a few more .
    Gun Controll Means Using Both Hands..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links