A very comfortable feeling

This is a discussion on A very comfortable feeling within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A family errand required my wife and I to travel into a very "iffy" neighborhood tonight, well after dark. How bad a street? A friend ...

Thread: A very comfortable feeling

A very comfortable feeling

A family errand required my wife and I to travel into a very "iffy" neighborhood tonight, well after dark. How bad a street? A friend and former co-worker was killed in a botched robbery attempt there several years ago and the killers were never caught. The bulk of my trusty .45 tucked neatly into the back of my belt and the CWP in my wallet made this the most comfortable ride ever. It was a good feeling, knowing that I had the capability and resolve to defend my wife and myself if needed. While I'm happy to report that nothing happened, just having my firearm at hand was enough.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

2. Remove Ads

Glad it was an uneventful errand, but I'd be staying out of places like that...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good on ya! While I would always recommend places where you feel you need a gun (If you think you need a gun, don't go there!) it sometimes can't be avoided.

I do find that carrying helps me to remain more alert and aware of my surroundings. That by itself is a good thing.

I'm glad all went well.

Cheers!
    Dan Hammond
    NRA Instructor
    KS CCH Instructor
    US Army (Ret)

Certainly good to have in an iffy area but you never know what will pop up regardless of how "nice" the neighborhood is.

Logically, criminals (if they had any smarts) would target nice neighborhoods if their intention is to obtain things of value. The key word here is "logically", which the lack of logic is why many become criminals to begin with. You never know when or where the evil may rear its ugly head.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Keep the SA (Self Awareness) on high alert and you'll mostly be fine all of the time.... but like restupt99 said try and avoid the places like this entirely if possible... good SA is preventing a BG from ever getting the chance... and he doesn't have the chance if your not even there!!!!
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Sometimes you just cant avoid the bad area.

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredonce View Post
    The bulk of my trusty .45 tucked neatly into the back of my belt
    That sure is a comforting feeling... unless your Mexican carrying
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Thanks for the support guys; it's one of those former nice residential communities that's slowly sliding down the tubes. My son's GF's mom (keeping up? ) still lives there and my wife was going to go by herself until I heard the address. SA's always set to "High" in that area; while there are still many nice, respectable people living there, the more sinister types are moving in. Shame...
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Glad you know you survived that errand...Now that we know you perhaps cannot avoid going there sometime in the future again, just take care, OK?
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

Understanding things like this cannot be avoided sometimes, glad to hear it worked out. Wonder if the son's GF's mom "totes" being that she's in the neighborhood.

I made a very similar comment to my wife the other day. We were in Lowe's getting some things and there was a group of very rough looking men near the checkout.

When we got out and into the truck, I told her that I felt a lot more comfortable carrying a weapon then not having one. I explained to her that it did not make me more aggressive, to the contrary, I thought it made me more polite but I just felt less on edge and intimidated when around a group like we had just encountered.

By the way, she carries also.

Now if I could just get the danger concept across to my 18 year old daughter it would be wonderful. She wanted to go to an area of town that I would not go to unarmed IN THE DAYTIME and would not go at all at night.
    Steven
    The "news media" has ceased being the watch dog of the people and has become the apologist for an irresponsible government.

cj
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Logically, criminals (if they had any smarts) would target nice neighborhoods if their intention is to obtain things of value. The key word here is "logically", which the lack of logic is why many become criminals to begin with.
    I always have wondered why they tend to hit the convenience stores in their local neighborhoods where they might get a a hundred dollars where a better neighborhood's would have much more. Lack of transportation?

Reminds me of a couple quotes:
    "We covet what we see" (so they see a little money locally and want it).

And more importantly, "It's not good to poop in your own sandbox when you've still got to play there".

Keep that SA up!

Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    I always have wondered why they tend to hit the convenience stores in their local neighborhoods where they might get a a hundred dollars where a better neighborhood's would have much more. Lack of transportation?

Reminds me of a couple quotes:
    "We covet what we see" (so they see a little money locally and want it).

And more importantly, "It's not good to poop in your own sandbox when you've still got to play there".

Keep that SA up!
    I think it's because if they walk around in a good neighborhood, they stand out like a sore thumb and the cops will get called before they even break the law. They have great disguises on their own turf.

Kev

In some cases most all neighborhoods have their "iffy" times. Due mostly to the bad people being comfortable with the 'hood they occupy. Seldom do criminals actually target an unfamiliar neighborhood until they know it well. If they don't live in it, chances are they know someone who does.

We had several home invasions and when the finally caught the kid, he was not from our area. He was visiting a friend who lived there and plying his trade from the friends appartment.

It's the random, opportunity-at-the-moment crime that is hard to see coming. Hard to aviod the really bad areas all the time though. That's why we carry when we do have to be there.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Links