Carry at work?

Carry at work?

This is a discussion on Carry at work? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently decided to start carrying to work. I do probably 90% or my driving to and from work during the average week. Part of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry at work?

Carry at work?

I recently decided to start carrying to work. I do probably 90% or my driving to and from work during the average week. Part of the reason I started carrying was the purchase of my new car, It's a $60,000 plus car and I would think I'm more likely to get car jacked than the guy driving a Honda or whatever. I also work in a not so savory part of town and I drive to work at 5:45 in the morning. My works parking lot is fenced in and the only thing that worries me is someone breaking into my car to steal it. I need to get a car case for my gun and was wondering what kind of good ones are out there. My other worry is someone finding out I have it in my car, because It is company policy to not carry weapons on the property. I tell you this though my drive to work felt a whole lot safer this morning when I brought it to work for the first time.
    When SHTF I don't call 911, I call 1911
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
    Kimber ultra carry II stainless steel
    HK uspc

If you spend $60K plus on a car and all it does is cause you to worry about being car jacked or having it stolen by all means, sell it and get a Gremlin. Your happiness level will increase dramatically. If you carry to work where there is a policy against carry on premise then you have already decided that the job is disposable so look for one that has no policies on carry to work.

Life is too darn short to sweat the small stuff.

I don't spend all my time worrying about getting car jacked. I'm just stating the fact that 90% of the time I leave the house it is to go to work. So what is the point of carrying only 10% of the time when I am not going to work.
    When SHTF I don't call 911, I call 1911
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
    Kimber ultra carry II stainless steel
    HK uspc

The two places I go most, work and school, don't allow me to carry. Worst part is, my school is located in Downtown Denver, my wife and I take buses to get there and have to walk through some sketchy areas to get to campus. So in actuality, I don't get to carry that often. But I practice with my karambit daily!
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    Ruger LCP with CT laser grip
    Emerson Combat Karambit
    Ol' .22LR

VIP Member
    Depending on what kind of vehicle you have, there are several options for securing your gun in your vehicle. Check out the COM safes, they are small but great for securing your gun. There are several console type safes if you have an SUV...

COM Safes
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

So if someone does find out you have it in your car (you did just reveal that on a public forum) can you still afford that nice new car without a job?

Have you considered buying a cheap car just to drive to work?

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Depending on what kind of vehicle you have, there are several options for securing your gun in your vehicle. Check out the COM safes, they are small but great for securing your gun. There are several console type safes if you have an SUV...

COM Safes
    +1...
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have a Gun Vault micro safe which I've grown quite fond of, I can open it in less than two seconds. Its very small, will hold my XD 45 and one, maybe two extra mags. External size is small enough it be fit easily into laptop bag. It can be secured with screws, or with just a cable or both.

Only problem is it says in big letters on it "Gun Vault". What a bunch of morons.

I carry to work every day, and secure my 1911 in a COM safe that goes inside my locked glove box. I attached the cable of the COM to the firewall of the car, so even if they get past the alarm and the the glove box lock, they still have to get through the cable.

Your company may have a policy against weapons, but they have no authority to search your vehicle unless you have signed something that says they do. I now park on public property at work, so there is no question.

Just don't talk about it at the office.

CP Lincoln

Just curious, what kind of car did you buy?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I have one of the Center of Mass safes in my truck. It won't stop someone determined to get it out or someone with tools, but it'll do fine against a smash-and-grab, especially if you mount it somewhere secure and get a thicker steel tether cable.

My job also requires me to drive into the not so great areas, and every few months they send out another notice that there was a shooting or carjacking nearby. Of course, the "advice" in the notices is always "stay in a well-lit area, don't resist if attacked, dial 911 and the police will save you". Needless to say, I'm far more comfortable driving in and back with my USP on my hip, and I've gotten to where I can disarm or re-arm pretty quickly once in the parking lot.

Louisiana recently passed a law forbidding employers from prohibiting their employees from keeping guns in their cars. Unfortunately, my company is big enough that they feel they can ignore that law until forced to comply in court, and nobody wants to be a test case. So, I've been parking on the curb to avoid the possibility of unpleasentness, even though their policy is technically illegal.

My advice is to carry the gun on your hip during your drive (no safe in the world will be fast or easy enough to access when you need it), and keep your mouth shut at work. If possible, park off-site - that way if/when you are outed, you won't have actually broken any policies.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Your company probably does have the right to search your vehicle if you park on their property. Carrying to and from work seems to be a risky choice for you since your employer forbids it. I have to travel through downtown Detroit when I go to our corporate office, so I understand your thoughts. The owner of the company gave me a waiver since our company policies are clear that no one can carry while on company property or anytime in a company vehicle. He told me that I am the only one with keys to my company vehicle, so I just need to be discrete and not carry within the office complex.

But I can tell you this, it would be bad judgement to drive a $60+K vehicle through or aound Detroit and not expect some "attention". You might rethink you ride.
    Guns: Glock 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30 & 36
    Rides: 2006 GTO with my turbo system and tune (635 RWHP); 2009 H-D Street Glide with many mods

Administrator
    First, the value of a car has very little to do with the probability of getting jacked. Typically, they are looking for a ride or they want a common car because parts are needed. Aftermarket items like flashy, tacky over sized rims or annoying stereo will increase the chase of a car jack greatly too. Certain vehicles in stock form will draw attention to a potential car jacker, especially if you vehicle has been featured in a recent rap video. I.E. an Escalade.
    Point is, there are plenty of other things you can do to avoid getting jacked.

If I were in your situation, I'd carry a J frame or something similar in a cheap paddle holster to and from work. That way, its easy to slip on discreetly and into a COM safe when you arrive at work. Same thing in reverse.
    "Just blame Sixto"

"concealed means..."

My employer also prohibits carrying any kind of firearm on the premesis. I could leave it in my car, but what's the point? The greatest danger is going to and from the car and beside that, I take public transportation and don't have my car. My solution? a Rossi .38spl tucked into my briefcase that stays locked in a cabinet during the day, and not a word to anyone about it.
    5 rounds of .38 with me beats the .45 in my dresser at home.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    First, the value of a car has very little to do with the probability of getting jacked. Typically, they are looking for a ride or they want a common car because parts are needed. Aftermarket items like flashy, tacky over sized rims or annoying stereo will increase the chase of a car jack greatly too. Certain vehicles in stock form will draw attention to a potential car jacker, especially if you vehicle has been featured in a recent rap video. I.E. an Escalade.
    Point is, there are plenty of other things you can do to avoid getting jacked.

If I were in your situation, I'd carry a J frame or something similar in a cheap paddle holster to and from work. That way, its easy to slip on discreetly and into a COM safe when you arrive at work. Same thing in reverse.
    Absolutely right! The reality is that nice expensive cars are not usually the target of a carjack, or really even car theft. The people that do steal high end cars are part of high end operations and they generally don't carjack.

I used to work in insurance, and most of the least stolen cars were things like Porsche, and other exotics. The least stolen American cars were the Dodge Viper and Corvette ZR1.

Now granted the lower numbers of these cars would directly relate to the number of thefts. But still, it is harder for BGs to pawn real expensive and more rare cars.

The most targeted are middle of the road cars like a Nissan Maxima for example. Something with good value in parts, and good value in the sense that they will stay on the road for a while.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links