Question for those in VA

Question for those in VA

This is a discussion on Question for those in VA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a CCDW holder in KY and will be spending an extended amount of time in VA this year. I know that VA and ...

Thread: Question for those in VA

Question for those in VA

I am a CCDW holder in KY and will be spending an extended amount of time in VA this year. I know that VA and KY have a reciprocal agreement that recognizes each other's permit, but does that come with any restrictions, other than the differences of where/when between the two states?

Quote Originally Posted by Scout86 View Post
    I am a CCDW holder in KY and will be spending an extended amount of time in VA this year. I know that VA and KY have a reciprocal agreement that recognizes each other's permit, but does that come with any restrictions, other than the differences of where/when between the two states?
    OC is ok as well as CC wih a permit. No CC in an establishment that serves alcohol. OC is ok.

No duty to inform an LEO you are carrying. Check out Handgunlaw.us for more info

like swinokur said check out that website. It'll tell you everything. I don't know if they mean anything in Kentucky but signs don't hold any legal weight as long as you leave if they ask you to. Otherwise they can get you for trespassing.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Mic
    Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Check out Handgunlaw.us for more info
    best advise out there
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

VIP Member
    Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL)

Places Where Carrying Concealed is Prohibited

NOTE: In most, but not all, locations where concealed carry is prohibited, open carry is also prohibited.

Federal Property (concealed carry with CHP and hunting exempted in National Forests) (18USC § 930)

General Assembly Building & property (open or concealed carry OK for CHP holders only) (JRC Rule)

State Parks (concealed carry w/CHP legal but open carry prohibited)

Virginia Commonwealth University (8VAC90-10-50)

Courthouses (§18.2-283.1)

Detention Facilities (§15.2-915)

K-12 school property (unless unloaded in a closed container). CHP holders may possess a loaded concealed handgun while in a vehicle. (§18.2-308.1)

K-12 school buses. (§18.2-308.1)

Property used exclusively for K-12 school-sponsored functions (§18.2-308.1)

Air carrier airport terminal buildings (§18.2-287.01)

Places of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held "without good and sufficient reason" (§18.2-283)

Restaurants & clubs serving on-premises alcohol (concealed carry prohibited, open carry NOT prohibited; owners & employees exempted) (§18.2-308.J3)

Private property when prohibited by owner (§18.2-308.O)
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

The long time one stop shop for said information is the NRA - Institute for Legislative Action website.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/VASL.pdf

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

The VA State Police website mentions a 'non-resident concealed handgun permit'. Is this required if someone has a permit from a state with a reciprocal agreement?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    The long time one stop shop for said information is the NRA - Institute for Legislative Action website.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/VASL.pdf

- Janq
    Albeit I look there often (as a starting place), I know that to them "carry" means CC and they tend to ignore OC. For example:

It is unlawful to carry a concealed handgun onto the
    premises of any restaurant or club for which a license to sell
    or serve alcoholic beverages on premises has been granted
    by the Alcohol Beverage Control Board.
    Is correct -- however, it has no "BTW you can OC."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

A good point Dave, and item of relevant note.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Scout86 View Post
    The VA State Police website mentions a 'non-resident concealed handgun permit'. Is this required if someone has a permit from a state with a reciprocal agreement?
    No, not required.. You only need a non-resident if you have a permit from a state with no reciprocity with VA.. Or you want the (lack there of) reciprocity that a VA permit brings..

Just remember that, even though VA is an open carry state and honors your KY permit for the purposes of CC, it doesn't matter what the laws are in KY. While you are in VA, the only laws that matter are VA's. Learn them well. If you are going to carry, here, you need to be certain of the laws, here, regarding carry and use of deadly force.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom357 View Post
    Just remember that, even though VA is an open carry state and honors your KY permit for the purposes of CC, it doesn't matter what the laws are in KY. While you are in VA, the only laws that matter are VA's. Learn them well. If you are going to carry, here, you need to be certain of the laws, here, regarding carry and use of deadly force.
    Great advice. Got it. Thanks.

Sponsored Links