CCW Permit for Missouri (Florida)?

This is a discussion on CCW Permit for Missouri (Florida)? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One good reason to get the Missouri permit if you are a Missouri resident has to do with the numbers of holders when we are ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CCW Permit for Missouri (Florida)?

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    One good reason to get the Missouri permit if you are a Missouri resident has to do with the numbers of holders when we are lobbying the Legislature. We can't count you if you have an OOS permit because there is no way to track that. However, if you have a Missouri permit that shows up in the numbers we can take to the legislature.

Since the end of May '09 we have gain over 40,000 new Missouri permit holders. We are no over 90,000 and moving in rapidly on 100,000. Legislators understand such numbers.

If you want a Missouri and a OOS, that is fine. But you really help our state cause if you have a Missouri one. And has been mentioned, the Missouri permit is recognized in 35 other states. There are several state that will not recognize a permit that is issued to someone who does not live in the issuing state. Something to keep in mind as well.
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Pete14 View Post
    I am getting ready to get my CCW for Missouri and the instructor suggested over the phone that I should get a Florida Permit instead of a Missouri permit because it is about the same price but is a 5yr license instead of a 3 year. He did not go into details but he said that is what he did and has suggested it to others.

Does anyone have any experience or heard anything about this?
    I am from MO and had my FL and MO permit at the same time. I have since let my FL permit expire. I dont go to Wyoming so it really does me no good.

Though with the FL permit all you need is hunters education. Its what I used to get mine.

The main problem with going with an non residentOOS permit is that many states will only recognize your home state. Many wont recognize an non resident OOS permit.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    One good reason to get the Missouri permit if you are a Missouri resident has to do with the numbers of holders when we are lobbying the Legislature. We can't count you if you have an OOS permit because there is no way to track that. However, if you have a Missouri permit that shows up in the numbers we can take to the legislature.

Since the end of May '09 we have gain over 40,000 new Missouri permit holders. We are no over 90,000 and moving in rapidly on 100,000. Legislators understand such numbers.

If you want a Missouri and a OOS, that is fine. But you really help our state cause if you have a Missouri one. And has been mentioned, the Missouri permit is recognized in 35 other states. There are several state that will not recognize a permit that is issued to someone who does not live in the issuing state. Something to keep in mind as well.
    OK...you have just convinced me...I'm going to apply asap. Thanks for this info. It will not hurt to get another one.
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

when did that go into effect for Missouri holders?

Quote Originally Posted by tradermike69 View Post

ok i guess i had a brain fart..... when did what go into effect?
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by tradermike69 View Post
    what did what go into effect for Missouri holders? -- this one?
    I don't know why you'd want a FL CWL in MO, but it is good for seven years now for residents.
    My husband got his only late last year after a lot of pushing and prodding and he got only 3 years...can someone please explain the above? Thanks...

Oh btw, we have been a resident of St. Louis, MO for over 25 years now...
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

All good points, if you get a Fl permit you may not have to take a class and the permit won't show up with your DL info if you get pulled over - MO is a non disclosure state. However, either way one thing to think about is getting Kevin Jamison's dvd about carry - he is the MO lawyer to go to regarding SD and the law. I can recommend a few instr if you need some names. MO RS 571 is a really good source of info.

I live in Kansas and just sibmitted my CCH permit for both Kansas and Florida.

Check out the site/link below (given to me by our instructor in the CCW/CCH class).

Handgunlaw.us

I just like knowing that I have many more states "available" to me. Some states recognize your home state/residency and others will recognize your non-resident permit.

Remember... your permits may allow you to carry in another state.... but it is subject to change (for the better or worse) at any time... so I just figured I would be prepared for all circumstances of carrying a concealed weapon.
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

Some states do no recognize non-resident permits, only resident permits. I got a Utah permit when I turned 21 but the day I turned 23 I went and applied for my MO permit.

Donít worry about saving a few bucks, you will get more states of reciprocity with a MO permit and you will be supporting the MO CCW system that everyone put their blood, sweat and tears in to.

Get a MO permit.

I paid for mine (MO permit) and was fingerprinted Dec 15, had it issued on the 23rd. Nothing wrong with MO permit. Quick, easy, and is accepted almost everywhere ccw is legal. Only advantages to other states are if you're 18 you can get a FL permit and the renewal time in mo is 3 years instead of 5.

+1 for the guy above me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete14 View Post
    I am getting ready to get my CCW for Missouri and the instructor suggested over the phone that I should get a Florida Permit instead of a Missouri permit because it is about the same price but is a 5yr license instead of a 3 year. He did not go into details but he said that is what he did and has suggested it to others.

Does anyone have any experience or heard anything about this?
    Get a license from your home state, your state of residence. Some states will not honor a license unless it is your home state. A Florida license is nice to have, but I think your instructor is wrong in this case.
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

Quote Originally Posted by justben View Post
    I paid for mine (MO permit) and was fingerprinted Dec 15, had it issued on the 23rd. Nothing wrong with MO permit. Quick, easy, and is accepted almost everywhere ccw is legal.
    this depends in what county in missouri you are in... Jackson 45 days, and they will more in likely make you wait that long.
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    ...and the permit won't show up with your DL info if you get pulled over - MO is a non disclosure state.
    Which is why I'd have a Fla. Permit if I wasn't required (for my job) to have a MO one...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Macklin View Post
    Get a license from your home state, your state of residence. Some states will not honor a license unless it is your home state. A Florida license is nice to have, but I think your instructor is wrong in this case.
    Missouri recognizes ANY valid permit from any state.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links