CCW Permit for Missouri (Florida)?

This is a discussion on CCW Permit for Missouri (Florida)? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am getting ready to get my CCW for Missouri and the instructor suggested over the phone that I should get a Florida Permit instead ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW Permit for Missouri (Florida)?

CCW Permit for Missouri (Florida)?

I am getting ready to get my CCW for Missouri and the instructor suggested over the phone that I should get a Florida Permit instead of a Missouri permit because it is about the same price but is a 5yr license instead of a 3 year. He did not go into details but he said that is what he did and has suggested it to others.

Does anyone have any experience or heard anything about this?

2. Remove Ads

The Florida CCW application packets were a HOT thing here in Michigan back in the 90's. I picked one up when I did gun shows here, but never used it because my county's DA suddenly started to interpret the state's constitution correctly. Made it nearly impossible to not get a 24/7 carry permit as opposed to the usual bank/business or target permit. Check your state's rules regarding out of state permit holding and/or reciprocity though. If I remember correctly the reason to get the Florida license was due to the fact that they didn't turn many down and then once you were approved it made it easier to get one in Michigan or your home state. However there are rules regarding residency can be based on time spent in that state...like you must live here at least 6 months and 1 day annually or something similar. Check out the law were you reside and take it from there. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Munch; January 13th, 2010 at 04:05 PM.

Florida does not cover as many states, right now I beleive MO covers more than any other states permit. Plus being a MO resident, I have heard that there is legislation beiing introduced that will make it a 6 year permit so you can renew with your DL...

Handgunlaw.us
    Racism isn't born, folks, it's taught. I have a two-year-old son. You know what he hates? Naps! End of list. ---- Dennis Leary

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail... but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... that was fun!"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by BukWild View Post
    Florida does not cover as many states, right now I beleive MO covers more than any other states permit. Plus being a MO resident, I have heard that there is legislation beiing introduced that will make it a 6 year permit so you can renew with your DL...

Handgunlaw.us
    I don't know why you'd want a FL CWL in MO, but it is good for seven years now for residents.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Pete14 View Post
    get a Florida Permit instead of a Missouri permit because it is about the same price but is a 5yr license instead of a 3 year.
    Florida's "Concealed Weapon or Firearm License" is valid for 7 years.

Florida's CWFL site: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Grant48 View Post
    Florida's "Concealed Weapon or Firearm License" is valid for 7 years.

Florida's CWFL site: Concealed Weapons or Firearm Program - Division of Licensing, FDACS
    Florida accepts non-resident permit. It even issues permit to people who are legal residents of the US. The fee is $117 for 7 years while the MO one cost my husband less than $100, I think about $85 for three years. He just got his CCW here in MO while I got mine from Florida. I got the Florida one because I had researched it first before I got mine. I think it is more cost effective. It covers 40 states...if I am not wrong and it covers also those places where we go for our fly-ins.

Btw, if you apply in person, you'd probably get it within a week. By mail, it will be 3 weeks at least.

Hope this helps.
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

Thanks for your input.

BTW: Did anyone notice the name of the commisioner of FL was "Charles Bronson".

Thanks for your input.

Yes. I did. And my first response was..."Is he still alive???"
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by wkientz1 View Post
    Yes. I did. And my first response was..."Is he still alive???"
    LOL, no relation.

If you never travel outside of your home state, then I guess you could consider cost as a criteria. But if you do travel, then I would never let cost determine what state's license I received. I consider the Missouri license to be one of the best available. Makes me wish I lived 8 miles further east so I'd be a Missouri resident. The only thing you gain with the Florida license over Missouri is Wyoming but you lose New Hampshire, South Carolina, Washington, Colorado, Minnesota, Michigan and Nevada. Not a good trade as far as I'm concerned.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    The only thing you gain with the Florida license over Missouri is Wyoming but you lose New Hampshire, South Carolina, Washington, Colorado, Minnesota, Michigan and Nevada. Not a good trade as far as I'm concerned.
    Easy answer to that... get both. Nothing says you can have only one.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Florida accepts training from more sources. If you go that route, you need to take it upon yourself to study state and local law concerning firearms use.

there was some that got the fla because it covered more states at one time but missouri now covers 35 states, with Neb being one of the last to recognize Missouri.
    personally i would have the Missouri before the Fla... but this is JMHO.
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Some states will not recognize a FL. permit if you are not a FL. resident. I think you get more states if you are a FL resident.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant48 View Post
    Easy answer to that... get both. Nothing says you can have only one.
    Agreed, somewhat. In the OP's particular case, considering how good the Missouri license is, I'd probably go for a NH non-resident license if he ever wanted to travel to Wyoming (the only state that Florida or New Hampshire would add to a Missouri license). The advantage to the NH license is that there's no testing requirement, no fingerprints, etc. Just fill out the paperwork (available online) and mail with $$$ and a copy of your current home state license. Really easy.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    Some states will not recognize a FL. permit if you are not a FL. resident. I think you get more states if you are a FL resident.
    Granted. If you were a Florida resident you'd have Wyoming, New Hampshire, Colorado and Michigan but you still wouldn't have Washington, Minnesota and Nevada. Of course, if the OP lived in Florida, the whole discussion would be moot because Missouri doesn't issue non-resident licenses so he wouldn't be trying to decide between the two.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links