nearly drew/sprayed bum today, LEO saw and intervened

This is a discussion on nearly drew/sprayed bum today, LEO saw and intervened within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow man that's intense. Glad it turned out okay for you. I'm sure your wife is happy too. LoL. If you're ever going to be ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: nearly drew/sprayed bum today, LEO saw and intervened

Wow man that's intense. Glad it turned out okay for you. I'm sure your wife is happy too. LoL. If you're ever going to be back up here in Colorado give me a shout. Sux we never got to go shooting.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Well done pcon!

Pepper spray isn't effective on everyone, but IS effective on the majority. It's a great intermediate tool between verbal and physical force.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Thanks everyone. I'm still in shock that it happened. You always read about it happening, but it's so different when it's happening to you.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

You did what you could to avoid and ignore (the latter as a tactic to avoid), you were being measured in your response. Exactly right.

I worked with the homeless in New York - and perhaps this man was. We were taught to pass out the food (we worked on a food van) and not get involved one way or the other with those we were serving. Meaning, don't get to know anyone that is friendly too well (we went to the same series of stops each time we took the food van out and often saw some of the same people). On the other hand, unless someone was being quite agressive to ignore any negative comments directed at you, or among the homeless themselves.

Ranks of all sorts of populations were homeless: the disposed from New York's sky-high real estate, the young and drifting, the old who slipped out of any safety nets and whose family's were gone - and a fair number who were -or had become - mentally ill. Also addicts and alcoholics. None I ever was around were violent. But sometimes, it is possible, and since you don't know you tried to take the same course of action we used: to avoid and ignore. In this case, it didn't work, and you had a potentially aggressive man to deal with. He is still alive and people have been alerted - hopefully he will get the care - if that is needed - that he should. You are still OK. The cop is OK.

It worked out well.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I'm pretty sure you'd be hit with at minimum, a brandishing charge, in this scenario. There was no deadly force threatened.

There was still the option to make a real effort to leave the scene too.

I think he handled it well too tho.
    Anybody that continues to advance after being warned is a threat,anybody within 21 feet can close and get to you before most people can draw,In Tx I have no duty to retreat,the bad guy does
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member
    Oh boy, I thought you somehow sprayed - well - your butt!

That can happen, I got my leg good one time when a sprayer in the pocket leaked.

Glad it all worked out and the right bum got sprayed.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    WTG Pcon! Excellent reaction to everything, you handled it...well, TEXTBOOK! :) Great job! Glad you're ok.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

VIP Member
    Glad the cop was handy and witnessed the whole thing. It could have gotten pretty ugly.

VIP Member
    Pcon posted:" I nodded and kept walking. He stops and says "come here man", so I said "no, no thanks" and kept walking. "

When someone not in uniform or not obviously someone with authority says, "come here," it is time to git.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Pcon posted:" I nodded and kept walking. He stops and says "come here man", so I said "no, no thanks" and kept walking. "

When someone not in uniform or not obviously someone with authority says, "come here," it is time to git.
    That was kind of my thought process too. There's no way I'm stopping for a dirty looking guy just because he says I should.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

I'm glad your ok! I'm glad the LEO was there before you really had to let this guy have it. Sounds like you did a great job!
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

You played that very well...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Anybody that continues to advance after being warned is a threat,anybody within 21 feet can close and get to you before most people can draw,In Tx I have no duty to retreat,the bad guy does
    I dont necessarily disagree. Except that if he's unarmed, as it 'seemed' so far in that scenario, then you may end up having to explain it to a jury. You will have to make sure that they understand that you perceived a deadly threat.

And there's certainly no guarantee there, altho I'd say TX is pretty friendly that way.

As a woman, this is certainly something that I have to consider....even if he's not armed but he advances in a certain manner. How will I prove his 'intentions?' That's why retreat is a good option when there is no firearm (or even knife) in view.

This holds for brandishing and 'threat of deadly force' charges too. It's not worth it IMO. If I can get away, I will.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I love stories like this.....when some two-bit thug thinks hes gonna' get a quick "score" on a sheep and the tables get turned on him.....

good job

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I dont necessarily disagree. Except that if he's unarmed, as it 'seemed' so far in that scenario, then you may end up having to explain it to a jury. You will have to make sure that they understand that you perceived a deadly threat.

And there's certainly no guarantee there, altho I'd say TX is pretty friendly that way.
    Actually there is a guarantee. He would never see a courtroom. In Texas you can draw your weapon as a threat of force, and it's not considered a threat of deadly force...

This holds for brandishing and 'threat of deadly force' charges too. It's not worth it IMO. If I can get away, I will.
    There is no brandishing charge in Texas. I guess it's best to run if you have to, but it's not required in TX.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links