Do you practice point shooting - Page 4

Do you practice point shooting

This is a discussion on Do you practice point shooting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Cold Warrior Not enough, with my useful CCW guns that hurt my trigger finger and hands, i.e., Ruger LCP; Smith Model 60; ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Not enough, with my useful CCW guns that hurt my trigger finger and hands, i.e., Ruger LCP; Smith Model 60; and Kel-Tec P-11. Naturally, I prefer shooting my bigger heavier more accurate fun guns at more distant paper targets, while taking the time to aim with my right eye [and squint my left one] along the barrel of my longer guns. I have to make myself shoot a box of bullets through my smaller more useful ones!
    I know what cha mean. My LCP can be a pretty punishing trip to the range, but since I put the Pachmayr grip on it, it's been better, but it's still got quite a kick to it. Definitely not a range gun that's for sure.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Mostly point shooting and with a bent arm from retention.

VIP Member
    I practice point shooting all I can. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of places to practice it...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

yes

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    I practice anything and everything that will help me win and keep me alive. This includes point shooting.

Josh

most definitely
    hey it's FUN!

I certainly hope all of you that jumped on the "Point Shooting" bandwagon aren't the same folks who tell me that having a pistol griped shotty is stupid, because I NEED to aim using the sights.

I happen to enjoy practice on shooting "from the hip" with my Mossberg Cruiser, and a nice compact shotty for H/D is good.

So I guess we agree, point shooting with a shotgun is worthwhile.

Point shooting

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Always! You play how you practice, and if you never practice your point shooting you'll have no proficiency in it when you need it. Take a couple of mags MINIMUM every time you head to the range and practice firing without sights and under duress. To make it better, do 25 jumping jacks first and then pick up and fire your weapon (if the range allows) to simulate the stress of the moment.
    I agree fully..very practical and useful advice...the jacks are a functional way to raise heart rate etc...i use similar methods when working with others...push-ups, burpees, striking/kicking and sprint runs or all of the above are also realistic ways to practice...thanks for the insight!
    ארדוף אויבי ואשיגם ולא-אשוב עד-כלותם
    תהילים יח/לח

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I certainly hope all of you that jumped on the "Point Shooting" bandwagon aren't the same folks who tell me that having a pistol griped shotty is stupid, because I NEED to aim using the sights.

I happen to enjoy practice on shooting "from the hip" with my Mossberg Cruiser, and a nice compact shotty for H/D is good.

Point shooting and shooting from the hip are not the same thing.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Pick up the book "Bulleyes Don't Shoot Back" and you will see point shooting in a whole new light

I both Practice it and teach it in my carry classes.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Most of us late-middle-aged men and our friends were trained to take our time and squint our eyes and aim at targets at long range; taking too much time for CCW and defensive shooting. Bad/good/old habits hard to break. During our last CCW class, our instructors had to tell us and then yell at us: "Shoot! Shoot! Shoot! Don't aim! He'll kill you!"

You know, it is weird that it never occured to me to think of practicing at the range the way you are most likely to fire your CCW. I think everyone is so focused on having nice tight groupings (dont want to look worse than the guy standing next to you).

Noob question, since this is point shooting, while you are holding the gun level and shooting, at what level is the gun? Chest high, chin eye, eye level?

Thanks guys, this is interesting stuff.

We don't want to waste bullets, and we want to hit dead center. I have heard the word that CCW instructors really have a hard time trying to retrain professional target shooters, who use scopes on their revolvers, and who usually take a long time to shoot each round downrange. One of my routines is to lay my gun down on the tray, pointed downrange with my finger off the trigger, closing my eyes and looking away for a few seconds. Then, open them quick and bring up the gun and do a quick double-tap. And then do it again. The first two double-tap bullets may be the most important because they could be your first and last chance. This exercise may sort of simulate being sleepy and surprised at night...although you are really ready and expecting it, etc. I always read and talk with gun people to learn and hear about their or new practice routines. I "think" that I am holding my gun straight out, between chest and eye level, and TRYING and hopin' to shoot down the sights with both eyes open, while resisting my squinting.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post

point shooting with a shotgun can be worthwhile, and effective, given the correct range
    I can point shoot with my pistol grip/full stock mossberg and shoot it traditionally with the sights and buttstock on shoulder; but if it only had the pistol grip alone my options are limited hence the reason I won't recommend the pistol grip only
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links