Do you practice point shooting - Page 5

Do you practice point shooting

This is a discussion on Do you practice point shooting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by davidw "point shooting" or some variation of is always about 95% of my hour or so at the range. I practice from ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
    "point shooting" or some variation of is always about 95% of my hour or so at the range. I practice from about 5 to 7 feet from the target, then about 12 or 15 feet and then about 21 feet. That is most of my range time. Before I change targets I'll stick a shoot n see on it and shoot 10 rounds while using the sights.
    Exactly same routine with snubbies. I practice everyday at home in garage range with S&W 317 (.22 LR) and weekly with 642 and 640 at range. The only time I shoot beyond 21 feet is with 686 or Glock 23 at range.

At least once a week I shoot 20-25 rounds at 8" target at 10 feet as fast as I can in strings of five (panic shoot!) I can usually hold all shots within 4" circle. May not be benchrest perfect but it would blow the center of a BGs chest out! I really feel that a real SD shootout would mimic the "panic shoot", close and fast.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

The range I frequent doesn't allow drawing from a holster or rapid fire. I have only started practicing point shooting but am limited to double taps. I would go to another range, however the customer service at mine is excellent. Not so much at others in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Most of us late-middle-aged men and our friends were trained to take our time and squint our eyes and aim at targets at long range; taking too much time for CCW and defensive shooting. Bad/good/old habits hard to break.
    Yeah, that's me too. When I qualified for CCW, I hit the sheet of paper, but had to change my glasses so I could see the sights and did well. I stood and held my arm out the same way I was taught, like the old posters - except no round brimmed hat. My instructor said he hasn't seen anybody shoot in that style in many years. Said I did pretty good also, especially when I told him I hadn't shot the Commander for several years. Now I'm starting over and will learn the CAR system or something close to it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links