Do you practice point shooting

This is a discussion on Do you practice point shooting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of my christmas gifts from my dad was 500 rounds of 9mm so I finally got out to the range for the first time ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you practice point shooting

Do you practice point shooting

One of my christmas gifts from my dad was 500 rounds of 9mm so I finally got out to the range for the first time this year. I usually spend the majority of my time shooting my CCW as it's the one I want to be most proficent with. My carry piece is a S&W 908 which I love. To quote my dad "The thing is a tack driver". After firing off about 150 rounds I realized something. I have never point shot. Ever. None of my guns.

Seeing as how most defensive shootings don't involve the sights (or so I have heard) I figured it may be something that I want to actually do from time to time. So I loaded up a fresh mag and practiced some double taps not using the sights. I also fired a couple mags rapid fire. Honestly, I really suprised myself. My double taps were center mass (I pulled them about 3 inches right of the X) with only about a 2 inch deviation and my rapid fire mags were all with in a 8 inch group at 30 feet. Thats not sharpshooter status or anything but I didn't consider it to be to shabby either.

Is point shooting something that most of you practice?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

I practice it just about everytime I go out but I have a Crimson Trace laser on my S&WM&P357Sig which makes it fairly easy @ 30 feet. I have read that most armed confrontations occur at 7yds. or less.

I practice point firing at close range because according to the FBI 80% of gun fights happen at three yards or much less.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Point shooting is always a part of my range day.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

CC
    I personally don't use my sights until I get out about 10-15 yards. Under that I practice point shooting. If I am going for nice tight groups with less than 10 yards I will use them.

I use point shooting at almost every IDPA match. Not the whole time of course, but it is something you have to do if you want to get your speed up.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

i always "point shoot" when involved with range time. i use my full size 1911 valor and colt compact. i have a idpa full size metal target with swinging 8" com cutout that i use at 10+yards and cardboard idpa full size targets from point blank to 10yards. set up works great and i get immediate feedback.

point shoot is all i do with my duty and off duty guns. other shooting is with match pistols that are not used for work. if you carry it you should practce point shooting.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Yes! I attended a class last Fall...was very surprised at how effectively one can learn to completely ignore the sights.
    It's all you're going to need in a WW parking lot incident. Night sights allow you to do the same thing in low/no light situations.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

"point shooting" or some variation of is always about 95% of my hour or so at the range. I practice from about 5 to 7 feet from the target, then about 12 or 15 feet and then about 21 feet. That is most of my range time. Before I change targets I'll stick a shoot n see on it and shoot 10 rounds while using the sights.

Ever since I took Brownie's "Handgun Quick Kill" class, it's virtually all I do. I am totally amazed at the accuracy one can obtain with practice and confidence.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Do you practice point shooting?
    Sure. Any time I'm shooting at ten yards or less at the range.

So I have a noob question.

From my understanding (may be wrong) I know "point shooting" is shooting before you have aimed down the sights.

What position do most practice this from? Do you practice at the hip, as soon as you have cleared leather? Do you "point shoot" while you are transitioning from draw to normal firing position? Do you shoot while in a normal firing position, but you do it so quickly you haven't found the front sight yet?

Any more info would be great. From my research, all I could gather was something along the lines of "point shooting is a method of shooting a firearm that relies on a shooter's instinctive reactions and kinematics to quickly engage close targets." This isn't very helpful on fine details and execution, so anyone that could elaborate would be great.
    Glock 26 w/ CTAC IWB

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far" - Theodore Roosevelt

When I point shoot it depends on range of target,for bad breath distances I drawand fire one handed from the waist,at further distances I draw and achieve a 2 handed hold at chest height,you can also practice at home with an unloaded gun and full length mirror
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

What are sights?

No seriously, I practice point shooting all the time. Its the only way to shoot when in close range. I use my sights beyond anything over 10yds.

Quote Originally Posted by nova83tx View Post
    So I have a noob question.

From my understanding (may be wrong) I know "point shooting" is shooting before you have aimed down the sights.

What position do most practice this from? Do you practice at the hip, as soon as you have cleared leather? Do you "point shoot" while you are transitioning from draw to normal firing position? Do you shoot while in a normal firing position, but you do it so quickly you haven't found the front sight yet?

Any more info would be great. From my research, all I could gather was something along the lines of "point shooting is a method of shooting a firearm that relies on a shooter's instinctive reactions and kinematics to quickly engage close targets." This isn't very helpful on fine details and execution, so anyone that could elaborate would be great.
    I teach a variation of point shooting at my range, I know there are instructors and ranges out there that is the only thing they teach or specialize in it. I (due to liability reasons) form a special after hours class for point shooting. I do turn and shoot, from the holster at the hip, weak hand, one hand reload, unknown distance, and basic room clearing all without the use of sights. Every instructor has their own way. Basically point shooting is firing your gun as if you were "pointing" at your target with your index finger. In fact, thats how I tell my students to practice. Turn and point your index finger at an object and say "bang," believe it or not, it really helps.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links