CCW Class for Pregnant Wife - Page 2

CCW Class for Pregnant Wife

This is a discussion on CCW Class for Pregnant Wife within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by pax I would not use an indoor range if it's at all avoidable. Air filters are rarely all that good, and even ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 26 of 26

Thread: CCW Class for Pregnant Wife

  1. #16
    Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    englewood, fl
    Posts
    1,751
    Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    I would not use an indoor range if it's at all avoidable. Air filters are rarely all that good, and even with good air filtering, there's still lead on every exposed surface in the building.

    Take that same suppressed .22 outdoors to get her qualified. And have her avoid the range after that until after the baby is born, because once she's got her permit there's no longer any urgency to live fire work, and good reason to avoid it until the risk is lower.

    Either way, have her shower and change clothes as soon as possible after shooting.

    And always, with little kids in the house: change your shoes before you enter the house after you've been to the range, esp if you regularly use an indoor range. Tracking lead onto the carpet where the kids crawl is avoidable, but few people remember to avoid it.

    pax
    there may be concerns after she delivers also if she is nursing...i would go for the outdoor range after delivery personally...


  2. #17
    VIP Member Array NC Bullseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NC Foothills
    Posts
    2,686
    I'm also an NC instructor and I have to ask, is there a compelling reason that she can't wait until after the birth to get a CHP? Is there any reason NOT to be safe rather than sorry later?

    While it may be just fine to shoot while pregnant is it worth the risk of finding out down the line that if you had just waited your child would have been fine?

    Having to shoot in a real self defense situation is one thing, but to shoot just to qualify is totally different.

    I'd say wait the few months. Is the child's health worth the risk? Will the friend NOT give her the class later?

  3. #18
    Member Array smed1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    23
    Thanks all for the replies.

    There is no hurry for her to take the class. She could take it with my instructor friend anytime. It is absolutely better being safe than sorry.

    If 50 people replied saying that lead exposure in a well-ventilated indoor range is hands-down not an issue, then we might rethink it. But given the overall response, I think we'll go with our instinct which was to wait.

    The only trouble with waiting is that then we'll have 3 kids to try to schedule her taking the class around, and she plans to nurse for 1 year, so it just becomes more of a hassle to get it done and pushes it back quite a bit. Regardless, it's better to never have to worry about any potential negative effects, so we'll just wait, like many here have said. Outdoor range after birth sounds like the way to go.

    She will probably be in the 'rarely carry' category anyway, but she wants to take the course and I'm going to be fully supportive of that.


    Thanks again folks!

  4. #19
    Senior Moderator
    Array limatunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,246
    Quote Originally Posted by smed1869 View Post
    Thanks all for the replies.

    There is no hurry for her to take the class. She could take it with my instructor friend anytime. It is absolutely better being safe than sorry.

    If 50 people replied saying that lead exposure in a well-ventilated indoor range is hands-down not an issue, then we might rethink it. But given the overall response, I think we'll go with our instinct which was to wait.

    The only trouble with waiting is that then we'll have 3 kids to try to schedule her taking the class around, and she plans to nurse for 1 year, so it just becomes more of a hassle to get it done and pushes it back quite a bit. Regardless, it's better to never have to worry about any potential negative effects, so we'll just wait, like many here have said. Outdoor range after birth sounds like the way to go.

    She will probably be in the 'rarely carry' category anyway, but she wants to take the course and I'm going to be fully supportive of that.


    Thanks again folks!
    Wise choice!

    I shot ONCE while I was pregnant but it was early in the pregnancy I didn't know it at the time. After I found out it was dry-fire practice only from then on out.

    It's just one of those things you don't want to risk.

  5. #20
    Member Array r0rtiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fontana, CA
    Posts
    65

    Is it absolutely necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    I'm also an NC instructor and I have to ask, is there a compelling reason that she can't wait until after the birth to get a CHP? Is there any reason NOT to be safe rather than sorry later?

    While it may be just fine to shoot while pregnant is it worth the risk of finding out down the line that if you had just waited your child would have been fine?

    Having to shoot in a real self defense situation is one thing, but to shoot just to qualify is totally different.

    I'd say wait the few months. Is the child's health worth the risk? Will the friend NOT give her the class later?
    +1
    My wife and I had our second child about three months ago. As such we havenít been to the range together for some time now. I cannot imagine there being any risk given all of the precautions that you are taking, but as a father I would never want to be guilty of knowingly putting my loved ones in a situation where the was even a remote chance of being injured unless it was absolutely necessary. Is the CCW absolutely necessary? I would wait until after she is done breastfeeding the baby.

    Just my opinion.

  6. #21
    Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,226
    Question: Can you qualify with a .22? I was told (in Texas at least) that a .380 was the smallest caliber.

    And congrats on the baby!!

  7. #22
    VIP Member
    Array oneshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    +42.893612,-082.710236 , Mi.
    Posts
    8,566
    I would think ONE day of shooting 50-75 rounds?? would be negligable, as to the effects of lead exposure. JMHO


    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

    M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

  8. #23
    Member Array smed1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    23
    I believe there is no caliber minimum to qualify in for the CHL in NC.

  9. #24
    VIP Member Array SIGguy229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kommie-fornia-stan
    Posts
    7,094
    I would work on safety and mindset...that way you don't need to worry about lead exposure or noise. Afterall, we all know carrying a weapon is not a talisman for safety and security. Mindset--a defensive one and one that forces you to think about pulling the trigger on another human being...is something that takes time....and should start early.

    The act of shooting will come with practice---but IMO, mindset is the next best thing to work on.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

    martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

  10. #25
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,179
    I'm thinking if that kid hears all the gunfire you might not see him poke his head out til she's around month 22
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  11. #26
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    45,314
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm thinking if that kid hears all the gunfire you might not see him poke his head out til she's around month 22
    Baby elephant?

    -------------------------------------------------------------
    To the OP...

    I'd wait...there is no hurry!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. How would you react?--Attack on Pregnant Wife
    By MAINE0388 in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: September 3rd, 2010, 01:21 PM
  2. GOOD: Man Defends Self & Pregnant Wife - Macclenny, FL
    By CT-Mike in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: December 30th, 2008, 02:04 AM
  3. UGLY: Man Accidentally Kills Pregnant Wife
    By Cthulhu in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: July 8th, 2008, 11:52 PM
  4. BAD: Man Killed Pregnant Wife Cleaning Gun
    By Rob99VMI04 in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 8th, 2008, 02:24 PM
  5. Video Interview: Man defends child and pregnant wife against intruder
    By uflnuceng in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: July 5th, 2008, 12:02 PM

Search tags for this page

can i take a ccw class while pregnant
,

can you get your ccw while pregnant

,

can you take a ccw class pregnant

,
can you take concealed carry class while pregnant
,
ccw and pregnancy
,
ccw class pregnant
,
ccw class safe in pregnancy
,

ccw class while pregnant

,

ccw ohio pregnant

,
conceal carry class and pregnancy
,

concealed carry class while pregnant

,
cpl class while pregnant
Click on a term to search for related topics.