CCW Class for Pregnant Wife

This is a discussion on CCW Class for Pregnant Wife within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, I have a friend at work that is a CCW instructor and has offered to give the class to my wife. As the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW Class for Pregnant Wife

CCW Class for Pregnant Wife

Hey all,

I have a friend at work that is a CCW instructor and has offered to give the class to my wife. As the subject reads, she will be 13-14 weeks prego with our 3rd baby during the class. She would like to take the class, but there are two potential safety issues that I was hoping you all could chime in on.

1 - Exposure to lead, gun smoke, etc. during the qualifications.
    2 - Excessive noise for our baby in utero.

The range is indoor in the instructor's basement, but he has adquate HEPA ventilation, informing that he has '10 air exchanges per minute' with his filtering system. For the noise factor, he has offered her to use a .22 with a muffler/suppressor, so I think noise won't be a problem (provided there aren't others around shooting non-muzzled handguns).

I know it will ultimately come down to what my wife and I are personally comfortable with, but I'd be interested to hear the opinions of the instructors and other knowledgeable folks out there. Opinions from the ladyfolk would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on your coming newborn. To be safe, you might want to check with her OB-GYN about the exposures.

I'd say if you have a surpressed 22, and private range time, then I dont see too much of a problem for it

private range time would greatly reduce the air contaminants, and the noise. I would say its probably at that point not much different than a lot of other activities.

My question though is, whats the hurry? Personally I'd wait till the bun is out of the oven just to be extra safe

my girlfriend's sister is pregnant as well and she was told no shooting whatsoever by the local gunrange (far from an obgyn, i know) because of the noise exposure.
    We didnt worry about double checking with her doc, though. Better safe than sorry.

Distinguished Member
    Personally, I'd skip the range portion until after the baby is out. Or, I would at least get several opinions from several practicing CCW instructors. I bet a lot of ob-gyn's would not know squat about it.

A nice evening at the range then dinner afterwards might be just the thing to chase away those post partum blues!!

Kudos on the kiddo! I would wait. Better safe than sorry on something like that.

Have her spend this time studying the laws and such in your area instead.
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we canít allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

If she's the only person shooting at the time, and the gun has a suppressor, I don't see a problem. (And I've had 3 kids, so I know the worries.)

There are a few things that are poisonous enough that you don't want a single dose. (Thalidomide, anyone?) But I think she and the baby would be safe.

Congrats, btw. And you thought two was hard work!
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

pax
    I would not use an indoor range if it's at all avoidable. Air filters are rarely all that good, and even with good air filtering, there's still lead on every exposed surface in the building.

Take that same suppressed .22 outdoors to get her qualified. And have her avoid the range after that until after the baby is born, because once she's got her permit there's no longer any urgency to live fire work, and good reason to avoid it until the risk is lower.

Either way, have her shower and change clothes as soon as possible after shooting.

And always, with little kids in the house: change your shoes before you enter the house after you've been to the range, esp if you regularly use an indoor range. Tracking lead onto the carpet where the kids crawl is avoidable, but few people remember to avoid it.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Congrats on the new baby! First, I am not an instructor. I am a nursing student :) As for the hearing, a baby developing in the womb doesn't develop hearing until about the 24th week of pregnancy. That being said however doesn't mean the baby won't react to the vibration from the shots being fired.

Here is a good article on the subject, and should hopefully answer many of your questions.

Shooting while pregnant
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Sejune, thank you for posting that article, i will use it with my students.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Sounds like the instructor has covered the bases. Let her have the .22, and maybe the baby will be a natural-born "son of a gun"!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Here is what we did when my Wife was prego. She asked the instructor if she could go first and be the only one on the line. This way the range was fairly fresh and not as loud. Luckily the Instructor let her do it.

It is only 50 rounds, at least here in TX, and not all at once (only 3 to 5 at a time).

Congrats and good luck to the Wife!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    Sejune, thank you for posting that article, i will use it with my students.
    DITTO

Puffer

I am a NRA TC Inst. & a WA State Hunter Ed. Lead Instructor.

!. In both cases, as a part of our "firearm Safety training, we warn about the "health hazards" of shooting & pregnancy, & HIGHLY SUGGEST, that they check with their Doctor, prior to proceeding.
    2. When we Train on our "cub's" Indoor or Out door ranges, we REQUIRE a Signed Waiver ( as per the Range's SOP ( note several other ranges we train on, also require this))

IMHO, I would advise waiting until after the birth. Also, I would exercise all "hygiene Procedures" as stated by PAX.

Puffer

Thumbs up

Always one in the pipe:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links