Israeli Carry method

This is a discussion on Israeli Carry method within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't want to make this another thread about who carrys one in the chamber and who doesn't due to the abundance of those threads. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 60

Thread: Israeli Carry method

  1. #1
    Member Array joepa150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    473

    Israeli Carry method

    I don't want to make this another thread about who carrys one in the chamber and who doesn't due to the abundance of those threads. I personally carry with one chambered.

    Anyone see this video? I think that a lot of people will have a difficult time racking the slide in a stressful situation. Also you would have to practice a lot to become fluent with drawing, racking, and firing. This video does show with practice that not carrying one in the chamber isn't always much slower but a couple tenths of a second could mean your life. One good point I see mentioned about not having one chambered is if you were disarmed. This would give you a chance not to get shot and to disarm and immobilize your enemy.

    YouTube - Pistol Carry Method : +1 VS Israeli ...

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Member Array TheFreeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Carolina - Concord
    Posts
    161
    Training will help a ton. I know that is not as sressful as a real situation, but muscle memory helps a lot.

    Practice doesn't make perfect, but it'll make you better.
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we canít allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

  4. #3
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    34,591
    Firstly with regard to this exact Video 2.4 Seconds is too long.

    What if you get shot first in the left arm or shoulder?

    And...what happens if your firearm malfs and you have a first round failure to feed?

    You'll be prying the tire iron out of your skull.

  5. #4
    Senior Member Array Chevy-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    924
    That overweight guy is slow as cold molasses. If you wanna see a competent guy draw and rack one into an empty chamber, then check out this video: YouTube - fastest gun draw from concealed carry


    -
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

  6. #5
    Senior Moderator
    Array MattInFla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,857
    As I've often said, this business of cycling the slide while drawing is well and good - IF you have the luxury of having both hands free when you need to draw.

    There is a good chance your off hand will be busy fending off the bad guy, moving a loved one out of the line of fire, or even injured and immobile.

    And then, you're hosed.

    Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

  7. #6
    VIP Member
    Array WHEC724's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,274
    I agree with most of your comments. Since I don't OC, being disarmed is highly unlikely.This has been discussed to death here, but since I still smell like a newb I'll give my reasons for switching from carrying 'Israeli' to one in the pipe:

    * Like you said, it's not really about the fraction of a second it takes to rack, it's more about that you're going to be highly stressed when you go to present and the less motor actions required, the better.

    * However the most important reason I carry one in the pipe is that you may not have both hands free. In a self defense scenario, it's reasonable to expect that you may be fighting off the aggressor with one hand, and you'll be very glad to have a weapon that's ready to fire in the other.

    I did have to go back and re-evaluate my cc selection and narrow it to those that I trusted to have one in the pipe.
    __________________________________
    'Clinging to my guns and religion

  8. #7
    Senior Moderator
    Array MattInFla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,857
    So how do you carry a revolver Israeli-style? Empty chamber under the hammer, or empty cylinder with a speed loader?

    Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

  9. #8
    Member Array schwaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    288
    This is why:
    (Dont watch if you dont like the name of the link)

    Store Owner Killed in Very Close Range Violent Robbery Shootout - NothingToxic.com
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array searcher 45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    4,110
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFreeman View Post
    Training will help a ton. I know that is not as sressful as a real situation, but muscle memory helps a lot.

    Practice doesn't make perfect, but it'll make you better.
    I fully agree.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

  11. #10
    VIP Member
    Array CopperKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Spokane area, WA
    Posts
    6,741
    Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    One good point I see mentioned about not having one chambered is if you were disarmed. This would give you a chance not to get shot and to disarm and immobilize your enemy.
    Look out, here comes another personal opinion:

    If you carry with the thought of "I'll carry in a manner safe if I am disarmed", why carry at all? Then you can't be disarmed and give the bad guy a gun.
    eschew obfuscation

    The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

  12. #11
    Senior Member Array Divebum47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    763
    Interesting. Think I'll still carry with one in the pipe. Just one less thing to worry about, and since I practice frequently with my carry weapon, I know the weapon and am confident that I won't have an accidental discharge. BTW, I'm one of those old, chunky out of shape guys, so need all the advantage I can get.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

  13. #12
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    34,591
    So true that if the BG is running at you with a baseball bat...your support side arm is going to be way too busy defensively protecting your precious noggin to have time to chamber a round.

  14. #13
    VIP Member Array MitchellCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    I don't post here anymore...Sorry
    Posts
    2,333
    The Isralies used to carry firearms like that because during the days pre-1948 when the IDF was a bunch of different groups or resistance fighters, they didn't have a standard sidearm.

    Even after 1948, they still didn't, and to this day, many times the people carrying the weapons don't own them - the weapons are stored in a communal arms room and when TSHTF, they draw weapons.

    Isralie carry is reasonable if you are handing out a bunch of weapons of different kinds to people who are not very familiar with them, but need to carry them ocassionally.

    Shut off the safety, insert mag and carry. If you need it, draw, rack and fire.

    If that doesn't work for you...well.
    That's your problem, but don't worry because the State of Israel has 1st rate medical care...

    It's a training adaption to a poor equiptment situation.

    That's it. It's not something special, and definately not something a person who actually owns and trains with a particular weapon should do.

  15. #14
    VIP Member Array Janq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,781
    Funny thing about when this subject gets brought up online or IRL...

    Folks know all about the method and what all but they never seem to know the _history_ of the method and _why_ the Israeli's _used_ to carry their arms in that manner some 50 yrs. ago, and that they no longer train in that method anymore having stopped doing so some 20+ yrs. ago now (!).

    The Israeli now carry in condition one hammer down (DA) or striker active (SA).
    The history is that when the country was first formed they were provided donations of firearms as military surplus from a wide variety of NATO countrys.
    What came in was a hodge podge of this, that and the other. at that time as during the 50s there was largely no such thing as being able to carry in Condition Two (round chambered hammer down on a live round) with any degree of safety. As well there was no striker fired handgun technology ala Glock.
    So in their earliest days for building a national defense force for the sake of continuity in training and because they had no handgun platform standardization as at that time it was decided that Condition Three (Hammer down, chamber empty with a live magazine inserted) was the best for them at that time means to standardize.
    Further this method of carry and training was at that time normal across much of Europe as many other Militarys did same, and a few even still do train that way such as Greece. People and military as well as police had been carrying that way since long before the nation of Israel was formed.

    FFWD into the late 80s when the country had filtered out all the junk and donated handguns to standardize just as the US and most other major _and_ serious militarys had/have. They moved away from that method to that which is most efficient and all conditions functional, carry as in Condition Two to which they have nearly 20 yrs. ago standardized on the striker fired Glock 17 9mm as the IDF's issue handgun, though unlike the US not all are issued a handgun. they also use Sig Sauer 'Classic' arms such as the P220 (full size 45 ACP), P226 (full size 9mm) and P228 (compact 9mm).

    They dropped that 'Israeli Carry' method a literal generation ago as it's very much dated and wholly unnecessary.
    Also it is slow/slower and it is wholly dependent on the operator having time (!) to react as well as assumptive that the operator will actually have a free hand available which even when not injured is not a good assumption as the arm/hand may be in use offensively or defensively.

    I wish this subject would go away but it keeps popping back up year to year decade to decade and generation to generation.
    Here in the US this same method _used_ to be the norm as for instruction with autoloaders toward police carry. It is not anymore and long ago died away. Akin to carrying a defensive revolver hammer down on an empty chamber.

    The so called 'Israeli Carry' method is dead and beat.
    Let it stay that way.

    Why handicap yourself for no good reason at all.
    Yes a handicapped person with much training and under certain close to optimal conditions can be just a functional and in this case quick as any other. BUT to do so requires great specific training, skill and physical capability...And at the end of the day you are still handicapped where as a non-handicapped person has greater margin of error with all other things being equal.

    - Janq

    Additional reading:
    * Military equipment of Israel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    * http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ml#post1433633
    * Volunteer, Enlist, Serve & Join the IDF (Israel Defense Forces) - Mahal, Nahal Haredi, Hesder, Garin - Mahal Guide & Assistant
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

    "A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

  16. #15
    Member Array joepa150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Funny thing about when this subject gets brought up online or IRL...

    Folks know all about the method and what all but they never seem to know the _history_ of the method and _why_ the Israeli's _used_ to carry their arms in that manner some 50 yrs. ago, and that they no longer train in that method anymore having stopped doing so some 20+ yrs. ago now (!).

    The Israeli now carry in condition one hammer down (DA) or striker active (SA).
    The history is that when the country was first formed they were provided donations of firearms as military surplus from a wide variety of NATO countrys.
    What came in was a hodge podge of this, that and the other. at that time as during the 50s there was largely no such thing as being able to carry in Condition Two (round chambered hammer down on a live round) with any degree of safety. As well there was no striker fired handgun technology ala Glock.
    So in their earliest days for building a national defense force for the sake of continuity in training and because they had no handgun platform standardization as at that time it was decided that Condition Three (Hammer down, chamber empty with a live magazine inserted) was the best for them at that time means to standardize.
    Further this method of carry and training was at that time normal across much of Europe as many other Militarys did same, and a few even still do train that way such as Greece. People and military as well as police had been carrying that way since long before the nation of Israel was formed.

    FFWD into the late 80s when the country had filtered out all the junk and donated handguns to standardize just as the US and most other major _and_ serious militarys had/have. They moved away from that method to that which is most efficient and all conditions functional, carry as in Condition Two to which they have nearly 20 yrs. ago standardized on the striker fired Glock 17 9mm as the IDF's issue handgun, though unlike the US not all are issued a handgun. they also use Sig Sauer 'Classic' arms such as the P220 (full size 45 ACP), P226 (full size 9mm) and P228 (compact 9mm).

    They dropped that 'Israeli Carry' method a literal generation ago as it's very much dated and wholly unnecessary.
    Also it is slow/slower and it is wholly dependent on the operator having time (!) to react as well as assumptive that the operator will actually have a free hand available which even when not injured is not a good assumption as the arm/hand may be in use offensively or defensively.

    I wish this subject would go away but it keeps popping back up year to year decade to decade and generation to generation.
    Here in the US this same method _used_ to be the norm as for instruction with autoloaders toward police carry. It is not anymore and long ago died away. Akin to carrying a defensive revolver hammer down on an empty chamber.

    The so called 'Israeli Carry' method is dead and beat.
    Let it stay that way.

    Why handicap yourself for no good reason at all.
    Yes a handicapped person with much training and under certain close to optimal conditions can be just a functional and in this case quick as any other. BUT to do so requires great specific training, skill and physical capability...And at the end of the day you are still handicapped where as a non-handicapped person has greater margin of error with all other things being equal.

    - Janq

    Additional reading:
    * Military equipment of Israel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    * http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ml#post1433633
    * Volunteer, Enlist, Serve & Join the IDF (Israel Defense Forces) - Mahal, Nahal Haredi, Hesder, Garin - Mahal Guide & Assistant
    Great post!

    Also the youtuber poster an update

    YouTube - Pistol Carry Method : +1 VS Israeli ...REVISITED

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Carry Method
    By eagleeye in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: January 28th, 2011, 10:30 AM
  2. Airport Security Israeli Method
    By mel5051 in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: December 31st, 2009, 02:24 PM
  3. Looking for carry method.
    By gunlock in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: May 29th, 2009, 12:22 AM
  4. Preferred method of carry?
    By farmerbyron in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: April 8th, 2009, 01:16 AM
  5. What is your primary method of carry?
    By Bravo3 in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: November 14th, 2005, 09:25 PM

Search tags for this page

concealed carry in israel
,
concealed carry israel
,
glock israeli carry
,
israel carry
,
israel concealed carry
,

israeli carry

,

israeli carry method

,
israeli concealed carry
,
israeli pistol carry method
,
israli carry
,
isreali carry
,
what is israeli carry
Click on a term to search for related topics.