passing through NY?

This is a discussion on passing through NY? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going on a trip tomorrow down to Pittsburgh,PA from Vermont. I have a LTCF in PA, can I pass through NY (not the city) ...

Thread: passing through NY?

passing through NY?

I'm going on a trip tomorrow down to Pittsburgh,PA from Vermont. I have a LTCF in PA, can I pass through NY (not the city) with a pistol locked in a case in the back of my jeep? I don't have a NY permit so I will not be carrying but I want to be able to carry in PA while I'm there for a couple days. Is it legal to pass through NY where I can legally carry at my destination or do I have to leave my gun home?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    You shouldn't have a problem. Keep pistol locked in trunk, ammo locked up and keep your trip through the state uninterrupted (i.e. don't stop anywhere).

Handgunlaw.us has some advice:

Transporting Firearms Through New York
    The best way to travel through NY or any state that has restriction is to carry a copy of Title 18-Part 1- Chapter 44 926A of the federal code with you. Some law enforcement may not know the law. DO keep the firearm in a locked box. Keep ammo in another locked box. No ammo in Magazines or speed loaders in the trunk or if no trunk as far back in the vehicle as possible in a locked box. This covers all bases. All of this may not be necessary but it may save you some grief.
    United States Code Title 18 - Part I - Chapter 44 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Great thank you, if I stop it will be for gas that's it. do you think just copying that title into word and printing it will be sufficient?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

you should print it out, to be safe. also, make sure you pee befoer you drive; you don't want to have to make any stops between VT and here.

another thought, and it maybe silly, is to leave your ammo home, or at least not carry any JHP ammo. i know NJ has a ban on JHP ammo, i don't know about NY. to be safe, you might want to carry a box of FMJs while you drive through NY. like i said, i'm just thinking out loud. the last time i went to VT, that's what i did (i was visiting Middlebury).

at any rate, enjoy your stay here.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    Great thank you, if I stop it will be for gas that's it. do you think just copying that title into word and printing it will be sufficient?
    Here is the link to the info on handgunlaw.us. I'd print this all out and carry it with you.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/newyork.pdf

You could always go to the US law site and print it out the statutes from there if you want a "legal" site in the header of the print out.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    you should print it out, to be safe. also, make sure you pee befoer you drive; you don't want to have to make any stops between VT and here.

another thought, and it maybe silly, is to leave your ammo home, or at least not carry any JHP ammo. i know NJ has a ban on JHP ammo, i don't know about NY. to be safe, you might want to carry a box of FMJs while you drive through NY. like i said, i'm just thinking out loud. the last time i went to VT, that's what i did (i was visiting Middlebury).

at any rate, enjoy your stay here.

No ammo bans here, but no magazine over 10 rounds unless they are pre-ban. I'm not sure if that would matter for peaceable journey.

NYS Law

Here is the NYS Law...
    A non-resident citizen may possess a rifle or shotgun in New York, as long as it is unloaded while being transported. No person may carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license. New York does not issue licenses to non-residents nor does it recognize licenses issued by other states. (A provision of federal law provides a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel. If a person is traveling from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport a firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm and the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, e.g., gasoline and rest, seem permissible.) A member or coach of an accredited college or university target pistol team may transport a handgun into or through New York to participate in a collegiate, Olympic or target pistol shooting competition provided that the handgun is unloaded and carried in a locked carrying case and the ammunition is carried in a separate locked container. An alien may possess a rifle or shotgun for use while hunting provided he has a valid New York hunting license. "If such (handgun) license is issued to an alien, or to a person not a citizen of and usually a resident in the state, the licensing officer shall state in the license the particular reason for the issuance and the names of the persons certifying to the good character of the applicant." Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for the purposes of any NRA approved competition if the competitor has in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of entry and a pistol license from his state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a locked opaque container.

Source: Firearm Laws for New York

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I didn't know JHP were illegal in NJ. Thanks for the info. What if you have them seperate, locked up and just going through the state?
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

OK so if it's locked and unloaded and in the back of my jeep (no trunk) I'm good right? I won't be going to jersey so I will be fine there, I might head over to WV and KY but I can carry there with my PA permit. Also my other question is, does this only apply for the highway? I will not be taking the interstate the entire way through NY, will that be a problem.

Also my other question is, does this only apply for the highway? I will not be taking the interstate the entire way through NY, will that be a problem.

All roads are OK... Just not in NY City..

bosco

Bosco

VIP Member
    Don't forget to have an Iron City & a Pramanti's cheese steak when you get here. :)
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Don't forget to have an Iron City & a Pramanti's cheese steak when you get here. :)
    +2 on that.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

In the state of ny JHP are alright. NJ is the only place that has a ban on JHP. My Best friend is a cop. He also said that most cops don't know the law in ny. I took my ar to his house last summer and he told me that I since it wasn't a pre-ban and I had my 30 round mags with it that it was ill leagal. He also told me not not to worry about it because most cops wouldn't make it a big deal and the other ones would care because it is a dumb rule.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
    Bring Enough GUN!!

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    I didn't know JHP were illegal in NJ. Thanks for the info. What if you have them seperate, locked up and just going through the state?
    Everyone you ask will tell you different.....I understand that statute to mean...and IANAL....JHP in your possession are a felony if you are in the commission of a crime...carrying illegal in Jesey is a crime, therefore hollow points would be a felony....at least as I understand...anyone from Jersey know for sure?
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Had a great time. Did the Quaker steak and lube wing challenge, I'm still crapping fire, but I got my name on the wall! Anyway thanks everyone for the replies but I decided to leave the guns home. I hate driving the interstate so we took the long way and the backroads the whole way, we stayed in MA for a night, went to Connecticut, Jersey, and NY, before going to PA and I just didn't need the hassle if I got pulled over or something happened. It stinks, I felt naked the entire time but I made it home in one piece. I'm glad to be back in the free country of VT. I was reminded on this trip how crappy the roads are in PA but how much I miss spending time in the Poconos.

Links