If you had to carry a .22 cal - Page 2

If you had to carry a .22 cal

This is a discussion on If you had to carry a .22 cal within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Siafu CCI Stingers are slightly over sized case length which may lead to feeding issues in auto-loaders. CCI Velocitors are standard case ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you had to carry a .22 cal

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    CCI Stingers are slightly over sized case length which may lead to feeding issues in auto-loaders. CCI Velocitors are standard case length and hyper-velocity. Velocitors are my choice.
    Good to know Siafu. I was basing my suggestion on this, (see Table 3) doesn't include the Velocitor though.

Terminal Performance of Quik-Shok, CCI Stinger and Remington Viper .22 LR Ammunition

as I sometimes carry my little Beretta 21A tip up. I haven't experienced a feed issue with either the Bobcat or my Buckmark. Guess I need to research this further since I've been lucky till now. Thanks
    Last edited by Munch; January 16th, 2010 at 01:55 AM. Reason: forgot something
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

I'd carry a revolver chambered in .22 WMR (Magnum) and I'd select FMJ ammo as supplied by Federal or Sellier & Bellot for quality assurance.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    CCI Stingers
    This.
    Mindset - Tactics - Skills - Equipment
    http://www.ingunowners.com
    W9ZEB dot Org

VIP Member
    Stingers in my Mk.II and Maxi-mag in my Single Six, with the mag cylinder...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Anything jacketed. I don't honestly believe that there is any real world difference in stopping power between the various .22LR rounds.

I've tried many, many different types of .22 in my Sig Mosquito and the only one that I tried that functioned perfectly was CCI Mini-Mags. That said, nothing else really matters to me.

If I was carrying a .22 for my CC or BUG, it would have to function perfectly, no matter what the cost.

I think the important thing about carrying a .22 is the gun itself more than the ammo. Most .22's are big enough that you lose something vs a larger caliber.
    The NAA mini comes in .22 wmr and weighs just 6 ounces. Any other .22 I've seen, you may as well step up to a pocket auto (P-32, P3AT, LCP, etc)
    Many .22 revolvers are as big and heavy as the .38's made by the same company. Not really a consideration for SD.

Edit: This was an afterthought, sorry. If you're trying to work with what you have, due to tight funding, and buying a new SD weapon isn't an option for you, go with the high velocity, highest grain you can find.

Most of my .22 ammo is CCI...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry a Beretta Bobcat a lot when I am at home or out working on my property. It has never failed while using CCI ammo.

CCI Mini Mags.
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

CCI Stingers, same here...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I have never had one single "Bad" bullet with CCI Stingers. Positive ignition, reliable.

CCI Segmented HP, if it feeds in the gun. It has the long Stinger case.

I keep some Velocitor ammo on hand just in case. Now I am thinking I might want to try some match ammo. Thanks for the suggestion, QKShooter.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I guessing you're talking standard .22 here, not .22 Mag. In that case, due to its limited power in any case: any .22LR that feeds reliably. There's not much difference in "knockdown" power as far as stopping a human is concerned. I don't think it would matter if they were solid or HP.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links