If you had to carry a .22 cal

This is a discussion on If you had to carry a .22 cal within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have never had a problem with CCI stingers in my P 22 or any of my 22 s...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you had to carry a .22 cal

I have never had a problem with CCI stingers in my P 22 or any of my 22 s
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I think it doesn't matter much, but I keep stingers handy as well as mini-mags. My P22 won't cycle reliably with regular ammo; though it does fairly well with plain jane Remington .22.lr. Other brands, no way.

I don't know what if anything is available in a small package DA .22 revolver, but if I were going to go the .22 lr route I think that is what I would look for.

I think Janq wrote that he carried 22 magnum in a revolver. That I like. But, I don't know where to find a DA revolver for this round, or if any are currently made. The tiny NAA is single action only and the only .22 magnum revolver I have been able to find.

Most likely standard lead round nose, not much difference from one .22 to another, more importantly I'd carry with me the mindset of "draw gun to high ready position "pointed straight up near collarbone" body slam attacker while shoving gun barrel into neck, pull trigger until I hear nothing but clicks"

Quote Originally Posted by aric View Post
    Anything jacketed. I don't honestly believe that there is any real world difference in stopping power between the various .22LR rounds.
    I'm unaware of any jacketed .22 LR. Copper-washed or plated is another matter.

FWIW, all the wash or plating does is reduce the incidence of leading. It has little, if any, effect on the performance of the bullet, otherwise.

I agree completely with your last statement.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Anything but Remington Cyclone. It's the only ammo that I have had feed problems with in my Ruger Standard.

VIP Member
    A WOODEN STICK

What are you trying to do give the ANTI"S some more ideas???

"Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is doing it. Right is right, even if nobody is doing it."
    St. Augustine
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I'll make two assumptions. 1. That we're limited to 22LR (no magnum) and 2. That whatever I choose will function in the gun.

That said, my choice is CCI Velocitor. Has virtually the same energy as the CCI Stinger (191 for Stinger, 183 for Velocitor) but gets it's energy with a 40 gr. bullet compared to the Stinger's 32 gr. bullet. The heavier bullet should retain it's energy longer once it hits resistance and thus allow better penetration.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I'll make two assumptions. 1. That we're limited to 22LR (no magnum) and 2. That whatever I choose will function in the gun.

That said, my choice is CCI Velocitor. Has virtually the same energy as the CCI Stinger (191 for Stinger, 183 for Velocitor) but gets it's energy with a 40 gr. bullet compared to the Stinger's 32 gr. bullet. The heavier bullet should retain it's energy longer once it hits resistance and thus allow better penetration.

Hoss
    Plus the bullet is the speer gold dot hollow point.....Velociters are what i carry in my walther...
    If guns kill people then i can legitimately blame misspelled words on my pencil!!!

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post

Hoss
    Quote Originally Posted by Msprink051 View Post
    Plus the bullet is the speer gold dot hollow point.....Velociters are what i carry in my walther...
    I have not tried the Velocitors, I'll have to give them a try. Thanks for the review.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Well, since the OP did not specify rimfire... any good .223 centerfire JSP that feeds well and is accurate in a Rock River Arms AR pistol.

OK, since the spirit of this topic seems to be rimfire, I am going to say any high-quality ammo that ALWAYS goes bang. Match ammo increases the odds, due to a higher level of QC. Does high-velocity match ammo exist? If so, I would use it, after of course trying a bunch of it.

FWIW, I would carry my 4" S&W Model 17, a K-frame sixgun, because I have it, and shoot a K-frame/L-frame/GP100-sized sixgun better than any handgun I have tried. If I were to buy a .22 rimfire weapon for such a scenario, I reckon one of the 10-shot revolvers would be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Msprink051 View Post
    Interesting, as every photo I have seen and every description indicates a copper-washed, lead hollow point. True, the technology of the Gold Dot is used to make the cavity, but no one, Including CCI is calling the bullets Gold Dots.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    My 317 with CCI Stingers.

That would be my choice just because. A friend says the recoil on this j-frame is pretty mild. Heck, at a scant 10.5 ounces I imagine it would make for a true carry and forget. Only significant draw-back is the crazy price.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Aguila!
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Interesting, as every photo I have seen and every description indicates a copper-washed, lead hollow point. True, the technology of the Gold Dot is used to make the cavity, but no one, Including CCI is calling the bullets Gold Dots.
    Im sorry sir... Lets clear that up shall we!! I got this off the cci website just now....
    •Special HP cavity design, derived from Speer® Gold Dot®
    technology, retains virtually 100 percent bullet weight

Thats the bullet in the velociter. Im sure glad thats cleared up
    CHEERS
    If guns kill people then i can legitimately blame misspelled words on my pencil!!!

NRA Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Theman9mm View Post
    I understand the ammo that works in the gun. But, If your gun would shoot anything what kind would be your choice.
    If I had to carry a 22lr, it would be in a revolver, and I would use CCI mini-mag solids. Something on the line of a 9 shot DA. At least I could find ammo---unlike a 380 I carry.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links