If you had to carry a .22 cal

This is a discussion on If you had to carry a .22 cal within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Saber That would be my choice just because. A friend says the recoil on this j-frame is pretty mild. Heck, at a ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: If you had to carry a .22 cal

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    That would be my choice just because. A friend says the recoil on this j-frame is pretty mild. Heck, at a scant 10.5 ounces I imagine it would make for a true carry and forget. Only significant draw-back is the crazy price.
    Charter makes a .38 that weighs 12 oz. A whole series, actually. I picked up an "Off Duty" with fully enclosed hammer. Not bad recoil either with standard pressure ammo. The web-site says they're +P, but the manual advises against it. I'll have to contact customer service to tell for sure.
    Goes back to my previous post. Concealed carry is a series of trade-offs. How big a gun can you carry (physical dimensions/weight)?
    So far, that 12 oz .38 is the biggest I feel comfortable carrying.
    I know some of the more experienced folks are snickering, but that that's where I'm at at this time.
    If the OP would be kind enough to clarify what they are using, and/or if a new weapon is a consideration it would help.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Msprink051 View Post
    Im sorry sir... Lets clear that up shall we!! I got this off the cci website just now....
    •Special HP cavity design, derived from Speer® Gold Dot®
    technology,
    retains virtually 100 percent bullet weight

Thats the bullet in the velociter. Im sure glad thats cleared up
    CHEERS
    Isn't that what I just said?

They are still copper-washed lead, aren't Gold Dots and CCI doesn't call them that.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

My Ruger 22/ 45 feeds the Aguila sub-sonics very well they are accurate and have accounted for many critters around the house .22 with a 60 grain bullet moving kinda slow gets in but can't get out so it just spins around inside . On 4 legged critters its been 100% reliable.

I'll split from the herd and say Quick Shok

Here's my reasoning. 22 bullets have no problem with penetration. In fact in my own tests, 22's out penetrated 44 mag. Of course the 44 delivered more energy transfer where the 22 knife through. Which is my point. Unless the bullet hits a vital organ it could be a non event. Where the Quick Shok will break into multiple projectiles incrementing the possiblity of a major organ or vein. I've often thought about carrying a 22. Totally controllable, light, small, and, in close range fighting, if there is a chance to aim, I'm a firm believer in head shots. I've read too much where a dead-man-walking was able to kill his opponent before expiring. I know this will get the guy mad who doesn't want us to upset the anti's, but, this is a concealed carry site. We don't carry to be fashionable. As for gun, I'd go with a high capacity revolver. I have a Bereta semi-auto that works real well, but I've read too much about 22 auto feed problems to be confident. Just one guys thoughts. (I always elect not to carry a 22.)

If I was limited to a .22 I would like to use a .22WMR. I have a few revolvers that fire .22 such as a Ruger Single-Six Convertable (don't really want a single action though) and a S&W K frame (.22LR). If getting a new weapon I would like to try that new .22WMR that Kel Tec is coming out with. Looks ugly but has 30 rounds. I am also assuming that the reason to carry a .22 is not necessarily a size of the gun, but the projectile.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2¼ barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

VIP Member
    Stinger

Check out this web site about what a 22LR will do.

.22LR
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

that is a Great site! Thanks!

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Theman9mm View Post
    I was just sitting here thinking..If you had to carry a .22 cal what ammo would you use??
    I do not know about the ammo, but if I had to carry a .22 cal as primary gun then I should carry a slingshot as backup
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    CCI Stingers
    Same here.

I would fnd the heaviest box of .22s I could get my hands on and try to drop it on the bad guys toes.. then run away.

All kidding aside, If I absolutely had to carry a .22, it would be a revolver with the highest capacity using a .22 round that gave me the best overall performance after some testing with it in that revolver.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

kpw
    Rem. Thunderbolts or Mini-Mags, because I have a bunch of it and it works in my .22s.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

VIP Member
    I like the CCI Velocitor 40 grain but I'd probably use any high velocity 40 grain .22LR. No Stingers.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member
    This is an excellent thread with some great info.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Quote Originally Posted by Theman9mm View Post
    I was just sitting here thinking..If you had to carry a .22 cal what ammo would you use??
    Any ammo I felt to because Id be carrying a revolver that would just work regardless.
    :)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links