Anyone use a Laser on their CCW pistol??

This is a discussion on Anyone use a Laser on their CCW pistol?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have the CT grips on my Taurus 605 snubbie. I keep my finger low on the side of the trigger guard. If I place ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone use a Laser on their CCW pistol??

I have the CT grips on my Taurus 605 snubbie. I keep my finger low on the side of the trigger guard. If I place my finger in the normal fashion as I do my semi autos (fingertip on the slide stop nub on right side of 1911), the laser is blocked. I have to keep it on a slightly downward angle.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

2. Remove Ads

We have a pair of S&W 642 with the CT grips. It has been a great way to learn and build confidence. It has also tightened up my grouping quite a bit in just a couple trips to the range.

And "Annie Oakley" (my wife) likes them. "I just put the red dot and the bullet hits there."

We will be shooting without turning on the CTs (switch on the bottom to turn 'em off) so we won't have to worry about changing the batteries before we shoot. But as a training tool, not to mention I sure the intimidation factor for the BG, well worth it for us.

I've had 6 guns with CT lasergrips; I still have 3. They are all consistently high quality & do their intended job. (I also had a Glock with LaserMax - I sold it & wouldn't buy another - - your mileage may vary.)

Just wish CT made grips for my double stack Para Ord P12.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

I was trying to choose between the CT and LM options for my 5" 1911. The two points that made the choice for me were as follows.

1. This has been mentioned here already. When keeping your finger off the trigger, the laser beam can be blocked by your trigger-finger.

2. For CCW, I have always heard that rubber grips are a no-no as they can have a tendancy to snag more on clothing during the draw.

So I selected the LaserMax internal laser. Your results/opinions may vary, just sharing what I found.
    *** IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, DIAL - 1911 ***

Dan Wesson / CZ: Pointman 7, Stainless .45 ACP
    LaserMax, Carbon Fiber Ultra-thin Grips, Milt Sparks VM2, Milt Sparks 1.5" Tapered Gun Belt, Nickel Buckle, Galco Dual Magazine Carrier

Charles Daly: Field Hunter VR-MC, Semi-Auto 12g

Crimson Trace question

So with the Lasermax, it obviously does not effect the use of holster at all due to the internal replacement of the guide rod. How about the CT lasers? I see they fit on the rear of the grip. Would that setup still work in the holsters you have? How about in the CTAC? Could I still use the CTAC or would I have to invest in something bigger? I have never held/ seen in person the CT's, hence my question.

Thanks in advance

I don't have a CT, so I'm only guessing, but the CT's typically attach only to the grip and most holsters don't encompass the actual grip, stopping after the trigger gaurd. Some have a piece of leather that goes between the top section of the gun/slide and your skin, but the CT goes on the other (outside) side of the gun. I *think* they have both right and left-handed versions of CT's, but I'm not positive. Someone else here that actually has CT can elaborate.

But basically what I'm trying to say is that I don't think there is a holster issue with CT's and definitely not with LM's.
    *** IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, DIAL - 1911 ***

Dan Wesson / CZ: Pointman 7, Stainless .45 ACP
    LaserMax, Carbon Fiber Ultra-thin Grips, Milt Sparks VM2, Milt Sparks 1.5" Tapered Gun Belt, Nickel Buckle, Galco Dual Magazine Carrier

Charles Daly: Field Hunter VR-MC, Semi-Auto 12g

My Glock 23 with the CT laser grips has no problem with my (favorite!) K&D Holsters' Laredo Defender, Blackhawk CQC SERPA holster, or my Fobus paddle (for glove box carry in the truck.)

All those holsters cover the trigger guard, nicely, none have any problems with the CT grips being on the gun.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Assistant Administrator
    True enough - CT's fall short of trigger area and so even if rig covers trigger guard well - there is not likely to be much problem.

Worth checking tho perhaps when ordering a rig - could be a wee small relief could be needed in a few cases - and I mean small!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have the Walther laser on my P99

My current holster OWB pancake holster (Galco Fletch) is a good fit for my Kimber Ultra Carry II equipped with CT grips.

My son carries a S&W snubbie 357 model 640 with CT grips. His favorite OWB pancake style holster has a thumbreak snap, it was just a little too tight to go over the laser portion of the grip. I soaked the strap in hot water, then gently worked it and stretched it until it would fit. Snapped it down and let it dry.... works perfectly !

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links