Oregon...... and Reciprocity

This is a discussion on Oregon...... and Reciprocity within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Chorizo Western Oregon (the most populous area) is even more liberal in many things than CA . To be accurate, make that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oregon...... and Reciprocity

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    Western Oregon (the most populous area) is even more liberal in many things than CA.
    To be accurate, make that NW Oregon...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    The way I understand it, the Oregon Legislature gave the OSP the right to determine which states' permits Oregon would honor, based on which had "significantly similar requirements."

The thing is, OSP is overstaffed and underfunded, and has absolutely no incentive to perform the research to determine which states' requirements are "significantly similar".

OTOH, the Oregon Sheriffs Association supports the idea of reciprocity.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    To be accurate, make that NW Oregon...
    Basically, the Willamette Valley, and a couple offshoots, like Hood River.

I live in Colorado. We travel to Washington State quite a bit. With my CO permit and my UT non-resident permit I'm good to go thru Utah, Idaho, and Washington.

It really bugs me to know that I have to travel thru the eastern part of Oregon unarmed........ Most likely open carry is allowed in eastern Oregon, but you never know. Pull into a small municipality which says no open carry and your screwed......

I would love to spend significant time in Oregon vacationing, etc... but I wont until I can CCW or OC legally.

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    If you want to open carry in Oregon, you have to be REALLY careful-the major cities in the Willamette Valley prohibit the carrying of a loaded firearm in your vehicle. This includes magazines and speed loaders. You may carry a weapon in the car, but it must be unloaded and you CANNOT have a loaded magazine or speedloader in the vehicle.

The Oregon CC folks have their own website, which I visited before driving out there (I was born and raised in Oregon) to see in-laws--one guy on the Oregon CC site talked about open carrying (in those very restrictive cities you cannot open carry without a CC permit). He got gas, and somebody saw his open carry sidearm and made a 911 man-with-a-gun call. He was pulled over, (and I think cuffed) until it was all sorted out.........

They are SO LIBERAL that they all freak out at the sight of a firearm.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I go to Oregon for work Monday thru Thursday. I have a WA CPL but not an OR. So if I were to bring my firearm I understand that I'd have to unload, but what about transporting the unloaded gun? I have a small locking pistol box. Would that work? And would the ammo have to be separated or could I lock it in the box with the pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by CrackpotBob View Post
    I go to Oregon for work Monday thru Thursday. I have a WA CPL but not an OR. So if I were to bring my firearm I understand that I'd have to unload, but what about transporting the unloaded gun? I have a small locking pistol box. Would that work? And would the ammo have to be separated or could I lock it in the box with the pistol?
    You can transport the unloaded pistol across state lines if it is not immediately accessible to you -- for example in the trunk.

If your work takes you to an area of Oregon that doesn't restrict open carry, you could carry your pistol loaded with you in the car if it is in plain sight -- for example on the seat (but not in the lock box or not glove box). If you're headed for Portland and immediately surrounding areas, this won't work.

Why not just get an Oregon CHL? It isn't a difficult process. Find a class that satisfies the training requirement, and apply to a sheriff that regularly issues non-resident permits, such as Multnomah County or Columbia County. Cabelas in Lacey is hosting an Oregon CHL class on January 24 (scroll to bottom of page).

CP Lincoln

Oregon Concealed Handgun License Course
    NRA Certified Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor Mr. Jason DuVal will cover all necessary and relevant information to satisfy the State of Oregon's training requirements to obtain an Oregon Concealed Handgun License (OCHL). Students do not bring firearms to class. At the end of the course, students will be presented a certificate of completion to apply for the OCHL. Class size LIMITED to 25 students. $35.00 registration. Pre-payment required to reserve seating. Payment / registration at class dependant upon seating availability. Mail to: Liberty Training Group, 3760 Market St. NE, Suite 262, Salem, OR 97301. Questions: Call 503-385-1136.
    Sunday, 4:00-7:00 p.m.
    Location: Chinook Classroom next to Cascades Grill Restaurant.

I'll check out the class at Cabela's. They're only 45 min away from where I live. Thanks!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    I live in Colorado. We travel to Washington State quite a bit. With my CO permit and my UT non-resident permit I'm good to go thru Utah, Idaho, and Washington.

It really bugs me to know that I have to travel thru the eastern part of Oregon unarmed........ Most likely open carry is allowed in eastern Oregon, but you never know. Pull into a small municipality which says no open carry and your screwed......

I would love to spend significant time in Oregon vacationing, etc... but I wont until I can CCW or OC legally.
    You should be fine anywhere east of the Cascades and south of Salem. There is not a single municipality outside of the Willamette Valley that has anti-OC ordinances. I've OC'd in Eastern Oregon many times (my in-laws and alma mater are there), and never a problem.

So I'm signed up for the course at Cabela's tomorrow. If anyone else is and wants to say hi, send me a pm
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I just did my Oregon class today, painless 2 hour safety lecture. I will apply for my permit next week. I live right across the river so it's inconvenient for me to disarm when I go to Oregon.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws."-Penn Jillette

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenLED View Post
    What I heard (and haven't cared to verify) is that OR's permit process is considered "lax" by other states' standards, so they don't allow reciprocity. Since other states don't show that "courtesy", OR doesn't either.
    Some states unilaterally recognize all other states' permits, including Oregon's. Colorado will recognize any other state's resident permit if that state recognizes the Colorado permit. So I think it's an Oregon problem. Luckily for me, I have no need to travel to Oregon anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links