Defensive Carry banner

Oregon...... and Reciprocity

3K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  Anubis 
#1 ·
I have a Colorado permit...... and a non resident Utah permit.

I would love to spend some vacation time in Oregon.... but it seems like that state doesn't honor other states.....

What's the deal???

#5 ·
Oregon is an open carry state, but has no reciprocal agreements.

If you live in an adjacent state, you may apply at the discretion of the Sheriff of the county you apply to.

Malhuer county, for example, only accepts applications form adjacent counties to his county in the adjacent State. Baker County accepts those with a reason to have a permit from an adjacent state.

It is not a Shall Issue for out of state permits. Western Oregon (the most populous area) is even more liberal in many things than CA.

#7 ·
I dont get it...if I'm driving thru OR and I want to legally carry my gun loaded, I need to ask each county's sheriff? (Yeah, I was reading the OFF site).

Is there one CC permit for all of OR or do you have to have one for each county? (That doesnt sound likely).

Is there a non-resident OR permit? I'm not that interested in CC permits for states other than OR and ID, but this sounds tough.

#8 ·
Oregon is a may issue state for residents of neighboring states, so if you live in Seattle you may apply for a permit. They require training and a specific Oregon curriculum, which is sometimes offered in the Seattle area and can be found easily in Portland or at the Oregon Firearms Academy. Liberty Training Group sometimes does classes at Cabelas in Lacey, which is convenient.

A permit issued by an Oregon sheriff is valid statewide.

Open carry is generally legal in Oregon, but some cities have passed ordinances that make it illegal, so you have to do your research. You can open carry in a car if you are not in a city that prohibits that, but you must have a CPL to conceal carry in a car. If you have an Oregon CPL, you're good to go -- the state has preemption for CPL holders, and local jurisdictions can't restrict your carry right more than state law.

Hope this helps. It is a bit confusing.

C Paul Lincoln

#18 ·
I live in Colorado. We travel to Washington State quite a bit. With my CO permit and my UT non-resident permit I'm good to go thru Utah, Idaho, and Washington.

It really bugs me to know that I have to travel thru the eastern part of Oregon unarmed........ Most likely open carry is allowed in eastern Oregon, but you never know. Pull into a small municipality which says no open carry and your screwed......

I would love to spend significant time in Oregon vacationing, etc... but I wont until I can CCW or OC legally.

#19 ·
If you want to open carry in Oregon, you have to be REALLY careful-the major cities in the Willamette Valley prohibit the carrying of a loaded firearm in your vehicle. This includes magazines and speed loaders. You may carry a weapon in the car, but it must be unloaded and you CANNOT have a loaded magazine or speedloader in the vehicle.

The Oregon CC folks have their own website, which I visited before driving out there (I was born and raised in Oregon) to see in-laws--one guy on the Oregon CC site talked about open carrying (in those very restrictive cities you cannot open carry without a CC permit). He got gas, and somebody saw his open carry sidearm and made a 911 man-with-a-gun call. He was pulled over, (and I think cuffed) until it was all sorted out.........

They are SO LIBERAL that they all freak out at the sight of a firearm.

#20 ·
I go to Oregon for work Monday thru Thursday. I have a WA CPL but not an OR. So if I were to bring my firearm I understand that I'd have to unload, but what about transporting the unloaded gun? I have a small locking pistol box. Would that work? And would the ammo have to be separated or could I lock it in the box with the pistol?

#21 ·
You can transport the unloaded pistol across state lines if it is not immediately accessible to you -- for example in the trunk.

If your work takes you to an area of Oregon that doesn't restrict open carry, you could carry your pistol loaded with you in the car if it is in plain sight -- for example on the seat (but not in the lock box or not glove box). If you're headed for Portland and immediately surrounding areas, this won't work.

Why not just get an Oregon CHL? It isn't a difficult process. Find a class that satisfies the training requirement, and apply to a sheriff that regularly issues non-resident permits, such as Multnomah County or Columbia County. Cabelas in Lacey is hosting an Oregon CHL class on January 24 (scroll to bottom of page).

CP Lincoln

Oregon Concealed Handgun License Course
NRA Certified Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor Mr. Jason DuVal will cover all necessary and relevant information to satisfy the State of Oregon's training requirements to obtain an Oregon Concealed Handgun License (OCHL). Students do not bring firearms to class. At the end of the course, students will be presented a certificate of completion to apply for the OCHL. Class size LIMITED to 25 students. $35.00 registration. Pre-payment required to reserve seating. Payment / registration at class dependant upon seating availability. Mail to: Liberty Training Group, 3760 Market St. NE, Suite 262, Salem, OR 97301. Questions: Call 503-385-1136.
Sunday, 4:00-7:00 p.m.
Location: Chinook Classroom next to Cascades Grill Restaurant.

#24 ·
So I'm signed up for the course at Cabela's tomorrow. If anyone else is and wants to say hi, send me a pm :smile:

#25 ·
I just did my Oregon class today, painless 2 hour safety lecture. I will apply for my permit next week. I live right across the river so it's inconvenient for me to disarm when I go to Oregon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.