Oregon...... and Reciprocity

Oregon...... and Reciprocity

This is a discussion on Oregon...... and Reciprocity within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Colorado permit...... and a non resident Utah permit. I would love to spend some vacation time in Oregon.... but it seems like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    Senior Member Array FastDraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    589

    Oregon...... and Reciprocity

    I have a Colorado permit...... and a non resident Utah permit.

    I would love to spend some vacation time in Oregon.... but it seems like that state doesn't honor other states.....

    What's the deal???

    Be Alert and Stay Safe

    FastDraw


  2. #2
    Member Array qwert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    nine mile falls,wa
    Posts
    32

    oregon

    you need a Wa or Id or(lots of luck) Ca permit. Oregon honors adjacent states only

  3. #3
    Member Array C Paul Lincoln's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle-ish
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by qwert View Post
    you need a Wa or Id or(lots of luck) Ca permit. Oregon honors adjacent states only
    Negative. Oregon honors no other state's permit. If you are a resident of a contiguous state, you may apply for an Oregon permit. If you reside in Colorado, you're pretty much out of luck, but you can open carry outside of major cities.

    CP Lincoln

  4. #4
    Senior Member Array FastDraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by C Paul Lincoln View Post
    Negative. Oregon honors no other state's permit. If you are a resident of a contiguous state, you may apply for an Oregon permit. If you reside in Colorado, you're pretty much out of luck, but you can open carry outside of major cities.

    CP Lincoln
    Why is that CP? I know California is California... but I would think Oregon would be a bit more tolerant on reciprocity...

    I understand open carry but don't do it unless I know for absolute certain a particular city doesn't have a law against it...... and being from Colorado I don't know which cities you can or can't open carry.

    What about having a handgun in a car? Does that depend on the city you are in?

    Thanks..........

    Be Alert and Stay Safe

    FastDraw

  5. #5
    VIP Member
    Array Chorizo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Posts
    2,023
    Oregon is an open carry state, but has no reciprocal agreements.

    If you live in an adjacent state, you may apply at the discretion of the Sheriff of the county you apply to.

    Malhuer county, for example, only accepts applications form adjacent counties to his county in the adjacent State. Baker County accepts those with a reason to have a permit from an adjacent state.

    It is not a Shall Issue for out of state permits. Western Oregon (the most populous area) is even more liberal in many things than CA.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

    "The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

  6. #6
    Member Array C Paul Lincoln's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle-ish
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    Why is that CP? I know California is California... but I would think Oregon would be a bit more tolerant on reciprocity...

    I understand open carry but don't do it unless I know for absolute certain a particular city doesn't have a law against it...... and being from Colorado I don't know which cities you can or can't open carry.

    What about having a handgun in a car? Does that depend on the city you are in?

    Thanks..........
    I don't know why, I just know what is . . . for some reason Oregon legislators decided to be extremely restrictive. As a Washington resident, I had no problems obtaining an Oregon permit when I finally chose to do so, but for a long time I just unloaded at the border.

    My understanding is that in Oregon you can carry in your car without a CPL in areas where open carry is legal. The hitch is that Oregon's preemption only really protects CPL holders -- that is, local jurisdictions can't pass laws more restrictive than state law for concealed carry, but they can pass laws restricting open carry including open car carry. Portland, Beaverton, and a few other cities have laws restricting open carry, so do your homework.

    My research indicates that if you own or lease property in Oregon you are eligible for a CPL even if you don't reside there. If you really want an Oregon CPL, find somebody that will lease you an acre of east side desert for ten bucks per year. Might even be a business venture -- buy 100 acres and lease out quarter-acre plots to people who need a CPL.

    Pretty good information at Oregon Firearms Federation.

    CP Lincoln

  7. #7
    VIP Member Array 9MMare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Outside Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,309
    I dont get it...if I'm driving thru OR and I want to legally carry my gun loaded, I need to ask each county's sheriff? (Yeah, I was reading the OFF site).

    Is there one CC permit for all of OR or do you have to have one for each county? (That doesnt sound likely).

    Is there a non-resident OR permit? I'm not that interested in CC permits for states other than OR and ID, but this sounds tough.
    Fortune favors the bold.

    Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

    The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

  8. #8
    Member Array C Paul Lincoln's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle-ish
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I dont get it...if I'm driving thru OR and I want to legally carry my gun loaded, I need to ask each county's sheriff? (Yeah, I was reading the OFF site).

    Is there one CC permit for all of OR or do you have to have one for each county? (That doesnt sound likely).

    Is there a non-resident OR permit? I'm not that interested in CC permits for states other than OR and ID, but this sounds tough.
    Oregon is a may issue state for residents of neighboring states, so if you live in Seattle you may apply for a permit. They require training and a specific Oregon curriculum, which is sometimes offered in the Seattle area and can be found easily in Portland or at the Oregon Firearms Academy. Liberty Training Group sometimes does classes at Cabelas in Lacey, which is convenient.

    A permit issued by an Oregon sheriff is valid statewide.

    Open carry is generally legal in Oregon, but some cities have passed ordinances that make it illegal, so you have to do your research. You can open carry in a car if you are not in a city that prohibits that, but you must have a CPL to conceal carry in a car. If you have an Oregon CPL, you're good to go -- the state has preemption for CPL holders, and local jurisdictions can't restrict your carry right more than state law.

    Hope this helps. It is a bit confusing.

    C Paul Lincoln

  9. #9
    Member Array greenLED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beaver Nation
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by C Paul Lincoln View Post
    I don't know why, I just know what is . . . for some reason Oregon legislators decided to be extremely restrictive.
    What I heard (and haven't cared to verify) is that OR's permit process is considered "lax" by other states' standards, so they don't allow reciprocity. Since other states don't show that "courtesy", OR doesn't either.
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

  10. #10
    VIP Member Array 9MMare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Outside Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,309
    Quote Originally Posted by C Paul Lincoln View Post
    Oregon is a may issue state for residents of neighboring states, so if you live in Seattle you may apply for a permit. They require training and a specific Oregon curriculum, which is sometimes offered in the Seattle area and can be found easily in Portland or at the Oregon Firearms Academy. Liberty Training Group sometimes does classes at Cabelas in Lacey, which is convenient.

    A permit issued by an Oregon sheriff is valid statewide.
    Thanks. This was very helpful, esp about at Cabela's. It's an hr drive in God-awful traffic, but I enjoy training. Firearms Academy of Seattle holds classes for the Utah permit..OR doesnt accept UT I'm guessing?
    Fortune favors the bold.

    Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

    The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

  11. #11
    Member Array dlclarkii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    Why is that CP? I know California is California... but I would think Oregon would be a bit more tolerant on reciprocity...

    I understand open carry but don't do it unless I know for absolute certain a particular city doesn't have a law against it...... and being from Colorado I don't know which cities you can or can't open carry.

    What about having a handgun in a car? Does that depend on the city you are in?

    Thanks..........

    This is a very liberal state and you can legally purchase mariguana, what do you think?

  12. #12
    Member Array KevinInstructor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Oregon USA
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by greenLED View Post
    What I heard (and haven't cared to verify) is that OR's permit process is considered "lax" by other states' standards, so they don't allow reciprocity. Since other states don't show that "courtesy", OR doesn't either.
    I believe the reason is that Oregon requires a mental background check. I think this is lame as it causes issues in regards to reciprocity.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

    CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

  13. #13
    Member Array greenLED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beaver Nation
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by C Paul Lincoln View Post
    They require training and a specific Oregon curriculum, which is sometimes offered in the Seattle area and can be found easily in Portland or at the Oregon Firearms Academy.
    I'm a multiple-course alumn of Oregon Firearms Academy. You'll get the absolute best training with them.
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

  14. #14
    Member Array C Paul Lincoln's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle-ish
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInstructor View Post
    I believe the reason is that Oregon requires a mental background check. I think this is lame as it causes issues in regards to reciprocity.
    Yes, they do. They had me sign a letter that they sent to the Department of Social and Health Services to check for any involuntary confinements.

    CPLincoln

  15. #15
    New Member Array QBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1
    Here on the East side of Oregon we have Grant Asher, a retired Police Chief giving classes....

    Grant Asher Investigations offering concealed firearm training for Oregon and Utah in Hermiston Oregon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Oregon - What's the problem with reciprocity??
    By FastDraw in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: September 5th, 2010, 09:21 PM
  2. Hello from Oregon
    By 68Mustang in forum New Members Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: July 11th, 2010, 06:29 PM
  3. Oregon members--open vehicle carry in Oregon?
    By Chaplain Scott in forum Open Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: June 22nd, 2009, 06:06 PM
  4. Hi from Oregon
    By Merk in forum New Members Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: January 4th, 2008, 07:57 PM
  5. Hello from Oregon
    By mrtca in forum New Members Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: October 12th, 2006, 04:38 PM

Search tags for this page

ccw oregon vacation
,

concealed carry oregone forum

,

cpl oregon reciprocity

,
does oregon honor ccw from ca.
,
grant asher oregon umatilla sheriff's
,

oregon ccw reciprocity

,
oregon concealed carry permit allows me to carry in what states?
,

oregon cpl reciprocity

,
oregon non resident cpl
,
oregons cpl laws
,

porsche4786 snowboardingloser or kevin or amy

,
what states does oregon concealed carry reciprocity give that washington doesnt
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors