Oregon...... and Reciprocity

This is a discussion on Oregon...... and Reciprocity within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Colorado permit...... and a non resident Utah permit. I would love to spend some vacation time in Oregon.... but it seems like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have a Colorado permit...... and a non resident Utah permit.

I would love to spend some vacation time in Oregon.... but it seems like that state doesn't honor other states.....

What's the deal???

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

oregon

you need a Wa or Id or(lots of luck) Ca permit. Oregon honors adjacent states only

Quote Originally Posted by qwert View Post
    you need a Wa or Id or(lots of luck) Ca permit. Oregon honors adjacent states only
    Negative. Oregon honors no other state's permit. If you are a resident of a contiguous state, you may apply for an Oregon permit. If you reside in Colorado, you're pretty much out of luck, but you can open carry outside of major cities.

CP Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by C Paul Lincoln View Post
    Negative. Oregon honors no other state's permit. If you are a resident of a contiguous state, you may apply for an Oregon permit. If you reside in Colorado, you're pretty much out of luck, but you can open carry outside of major cities.

CP Lincoln
    Why is that CP? I know California is California... but I would think Oregon would be a bit more tolerant on reciprocity...

I understand open carry but don't do it unless I know for absolute certain a particular city doesn't have a law against it...... and being from Colorado I don't know which cities you can or can't open carry.

What about having a handgun in a car? Does that depend on the city you are in?

Thanks..........

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

VIP Member
    Oregon is an open carry state, but has no reciprocal agreements.

If you live in an adjacent state, you may apply at the discretion of the Sheriff of the county you apply to.

Malhuer county, for example, only accepts applications form adjacent counties to his county in the adjacent State. Baker County accepts those with a reason to have a permit from an adjacent state.

It is not a Shall Issue for out of state permits. Western Oregon (the most populous area) is even more liberal in many things than CA.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    Why is that CP? I know California is California... but I would think Oregon would be a bit more tolerant on reciprocity...

I understand open carry but don't do it unless I know for absolute certain a particular city doesn't have a law against it...... and being from Colorado I don't know which cities you can or can't open carry.

Thanks..........
    I don't know why, I just know what is . . . for some reason Oregon legislators decided to be extremely restrictive. As a Washington resident, I had no problems obtaining an Oregon permit when I finally chose to do so, but for a long time I just unloaded at the border.

My understanding is that in Oregon you can carry in your car without a CPL in areas where open carry is legal. The hitch is that Oregon's preemption only really protects CPL holders -- that is, local jurisdictions can't pass laws more restrictive than state law for concealed carry, but they can pass laws restricting open carry including open car carry. Portland, Beaverton, and a few other cities have laws restricting open carry, so do your homework.

My research indicates that if you own or lease property in Oregon you are eligible for a CPL even if you don't reside there. If you really want an Oregon CPL, find somebody that will lease you an acre of east side desert for ten bucks per year. Might even be a business venture -- buy 100 acres and lease out quarter-acre plots to people who need a CPL.

Pretty good information at Oregon Firearms Federation.

CP Lincoln

I dont get it...if I'm driving thru OR and I want to legally carry my gun loaded, I need to ask each county's sheriff? (Yeah, I was reading the OFF site).

Is there one CC permit for all of OR or do you have to have one for each county? (That doesnt sound likely).

Is there a non-resident OR permit? I'm not that interested in CC permits for states other than OR and ID, but this sounds tough.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I dont get it...if I'm driving thru OR and I want to legally carry my gun loaded, I need to ask each county's sheriff? (Yeah, I was reading the OFF site).

Is there one CC permit for all of OR or do you have to have one for each county? (That doesnt sound likely).

Is there a non-resident OR permit? I'm not that interested in CC permits for states other than OR and ID, but this sounds tough.
    Oregon is a may issue state for residents of neighboring states, so if you live in Seattle you may apply for a permit. They require training and a specific Oregon curriculum, which is sometimes offered in the Seattle area and can be found easily in Portland or at the Oregon Firearms Academy. Liberty Training Group sometimes does classes at Cabelas in Lacey, which is convenient.

A permit issued by an Oregon sheriff is valid statewide.

Open carry is generally legal in Oregon, but some cities have passed ordinances that make it illegal, so you have to do your research. You can open carry in a car if you are not in a city that prohibits that, but you must have a CPL to conceal carry in a car. If you have an Oregon CPL, you're good to go -- the state has preemption for CPL holders, and local jurisdictions can't restrict your carry right more than state law.

Hope this helps. It is a bit confusing.

C Paul Lincoln

I don't know why, I just know what is . . . for some reason Oregon legislators decided to be extremely restrictive.
    What I heard (and haven't cared to verify) is that OR's permit process is considered "lax" by other states' standards, so they don't allow reciprocity. Since other states don't show that "courtesy", OR doesn't either.
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

Oregon is a may issue state for residents of neighboring states, so if you live in Seattle you may apply for a permit. They require training and a specific Oregon curriculum, which is sometimes offered in the Seattle area and can be found easily in Portland or at the Oregon Firearms Academy. Liberty Training Group sometimes does classes at Cabelas in Lacey, which is convenient.

A permit issued by an Oregon sheriff is valid statewide.
    Thanks. This was very helpful, esp about at Cabela's. It's an hr drive in God-awful traffic, but I enjoy training. Firearms Academy of Seattle holds classes for the Utah permit..OR doesnt accept UT I'm guessing?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post

Thanks..........

This is a very liberal state and you can legally purchase mariguana, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED View Post
    What I heard (and haven't cared to verify) is that OR's permit process is considered "lax" by other states' standards, so they don't allow reciprocity. Since other states don't show that "courtesy", OR doesn't either.
    I believe the reason is that Oregon requires a mental background check. I think this is lame as it causes issues in regards to reciprocity.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

They require training and a specific Oregon curriculum, which is sometimes offered in the Seattle area and can be found easily in Portland or at the Oregon Firearms Academy.
    I'm a multiple-course alumn of Oregon Firearms Academy. You'll get the absolute best training with them.
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by KevinInstructor View Post
    I believe the reason is that Oregon requires a mental background check. I think this is lame as it causes issues in regards to reciprocity.
    Yes, they do. They had me sign a letter that they sent to the Department of Social and Health Services to check for any involuntary confinements.

CPLincoln

Here on the East side of Oregon we have Grant Asher, a retired Police Chief giving classes....

Grant Asher Investigations offering concealed firearm training for Oregon and Utah in Hermiston Oregon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links