Virginia Gun Shows

Virginia Gun Shows

This is a discussion on Virginia Gun Shows within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I support gun shows 100% and I've attended a few. They always have big signs indicating no loaded firearms are allowed inside the show. They ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    VIP Member Array BugDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Gulf Coast of Florida
    Posts
    9,373

    Virginia Gun Shows

    I support gun shows 100% and I've attended a few. They always have big signs indicating no loaded firearms are allowed inside the show. They have a table set-up where they collect your ammo and put a tie strap on your weapon. You can pick up your ammo when you leave.

    Ironically, the last gun show that I attended, I purchased a S&W snubnosed 38 (no tie strap applied) and about 300 rounds of 38 ammo from a vendor. As I left, I watched people in line to pick-up their ammo from their carry guns. I thought about the fact that I had a 38 in my pocket and 300 rounds of ammo in a bag in my hand. What difference in the world could that rule possibly make? People can buy ammo (and guns) in the show after they enter.

    Am I the only person that thinks this rule is both ironic and useless? I just don't understand what purpose it is supposed to serve.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.


    Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.


  2. #2
    Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    1,644
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    What difference in the world could that rule possibly make?

    Am I the only person that thinks this rule is both ironic and useless? I just don't understand what purpose it is supposed to serve.
    The idea is it reduces the risk of accidents by getting people to unload and render the firearm inoperable (via ziptie). There are a lot of people around who may or may not be safe in their handling skills. An unloaded, ziptied firearm will not shoot your neighbor when you pull the trigger.

    I don't think it is intended to stop someone from "smuggling" in a loaded firearm or buying ammo within the show. On average, I do believe the policy reduces the number of loaded firearms and reduces the number of accidents.

    It is possible the insurance company of the gun show's organizers requires some superficial saftey measures.

    If one does not approve of the shows rules, it is advisable not to attend or to start a show of your own that you can manage as you see fit. :)
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

  3. #3
    Mic
    Mic is offline
    Senior Member Array Mic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    On loan from Arizona
    Posts
    963
    The rules mostly are in place for the insurance companys and to protect the event location owners. But I agree, STUPID
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.


    Molôn Labé!

  4. #4
    VIP Member Array BugDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Gulf Coast of Florida
    Posts
    9,373
    It's not that I don't approve of the rule, it's just the irony hit me as I walked out of the last show. I've known about the rule for years, so I just leave mine in the car.

    You are probably correct on the insurance company, and I can see the safety side of it as well. Not all gun owners practice safe gun handling habits. It just struck me as odd.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.


    Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

  5. #5
    Member Array doctorw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    202
    One of the gun stores I shop at has a similar sign. The idea is if you are going to be handling a gun inside a gun show or a store, it better be unloaded and made safe. I'm sure if you have a concealed firearm on you at a gun show, and keep it concealed, no one will have a problem--they won't even know you are armed. In other words, use common sense and be careful.

  6. #6
    VIP Member Array BugDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Gulf Coast of Florida
    Posts
    9,373
    I obey the rules and posted signs. I also agree that if handling guns in a shop (or show) they should be unloaded. Safe gun handling practices are not as common as they should be.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.


    Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Array jem102's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    1,022
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    The idea is it reduces the risk of accidents by getting people to unload and render the firearm inoperable (via ziptie). There are a lot of people around who may or may not be safe in their handling skills. An unloaded, ziptied firearm will not shoot your neighbor when you pull the trigger.

    I don't think it is intended to stop someone from "smuggling" in a loaded firearm or buying ammo within the show. On average, I do believe the policy reduces the number of loaded firearms and reduces the number of accidents.

    It is possible the insurance company of the gun show's organizers requires some superficial saftey measures.

    If one does not approve of the shows rules, it is advisable not to attend or to start a show of your own that you can manage as you see fit. :)
    Never thought it through but your explanation makes good sense.
    Who is John Galt?

    Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

  8. #8
    VIP Member Array BugDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Gulf Coast of Florida
    Posts
    9,373
    That may be the reason some gun stores post signs too...more because of idiots not practicing safe gun handling than criminals with ill intent.

    That was a very good explanation and one I had not thought of before either. I appreciate the perspective. Getting good answers and perspectives is why I post questions. Thanks.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.


    Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

  9. #9
    GM
    GM is offline
    VIP Member Array GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,866
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    The idea is it reduces the risk of accidents by getting people to unload and render the firearm inoperable (via ziptie). There are a lot of people around who may or may not be safe in their handling skills. An unloaded, ziptied firearm will not shoot your neighbor when you pull the trigger.

    I don't think it is intended to stop someone from "smuggling" in a loaded firearm or buying ammo within the show. On average, I do believe the policy reduces the number of loaded firearms and reduces the number of accidents.

    It is possible the insurance company of the gun show's organizers requires some superficial saftey measures.

    If one does not approve of the shows rules, it is advisable not to attend or to start a show of your own that you can manage as you see fit. :)
    Then they also should quit selling ammo … or why not quit selling guns at all? That should make it even safer.
    I understand what you mean with your post and I agree to a certain extent, but it does not make much sense to me if you still can have a gun in your pocket (no tie strap applied) and 300 rounds of ammo to it in your handbag. A loaded firearm will not jump out of the holster by itself and make a disaster, and if you CC you do not suppose to unholster your weapon and play with it, which implies that it does not matter too much what kind of skills you have or not. Just my two cents
    By the way, I quit going to gun shows for a long time ago.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

  10. #10
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    21,517
    I've attended several different gun shows, from Richmond to Chantilly (NoVA) and have never had to surrender my ammo. Of course my weapon is handed to the checked with the action open and an empty magazine removed from the weapon. My loaded magazine is in my spare mag pouch and I usually have my own zip ties and a cutter with me, in case I see a holster I want to check out.

    The rule IMO has nothing to do with stopping someone from going on a shooting spree, but to help reduce the chances of a AD/ND. A BG who wants to shjoot the place up, isn't going to check his weapon anyway.

  11. #11
    Member Array Gearslammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ct
    Posts
    54
    Went to one yesterday and had to do the same thing (clear my pistol, surrender my ammo, and they zip tie my trigger) and I also thought to myself ***. Does not make sense and plain out right dumb. You have all these people walking around with guns they just purchased and ammo....and you want ME to check my ammo at the door and zip tie MY pistol lol. Am I missing something on the way they think lol. Not that I care if someone holds up a gun show with guns, because that would be suicidally stupid, just that the guns purchased don't have to follow the same principles for the CCW'ers. Like tie strip and you get our just purchased ammo at the door when you leave. See?
    The gun stores I go to don't have signs that say "no carrying or concealed weapons allowed inside" because that's just plain "screwed up" (to use simpler words).



    ha I just noticed this site * outs doubleU Tee F, oh man lol

  12. #12
    GM
    GM is offline
    VIP Member Array GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,866
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I've attended several different gun shows, from Richmond to Chantilly (NoVA) and have never had to surrender my ammo. Of course my weapon is handed to the checked with the action open and an empty magazine removed from the weapon. My loaded magazine is in my spare mag pouch and I usually have my own zip ties and a cutter with me, in case I see a holster I want to check out.

    The rule IMO has nothing to do with stopping someone from going on a shooting spree, but to help reduce the chances of a AD/ND. A BG who wants to shjoot the place up, isn't going to check his weapon anyway.
    I agree with you, those rules will not stop a BG from going on and shooting the place up since he is not going to check his weapon anyway. I see the point when you say that those rules will reduce the chances of a AD/ND. However, we have to consider that a CCWer should not unholster its weapon in public just to play with it. Furthermore, if it is about reducing the chances of a AN/ND we have to remember that those incidents also could occur when we are walking on the street, or shopping in a store or whatever. What should we then do about it? Because people spend more time in other public places than in gun shows. The only that could help in that case would be not to allow firearms in any public places. And next step should be to do not allow guns at home, because a AC/NC can occur and then someone in the house can hurt. And what should it be after that?
    Last edited by GM; January 17th, 2010 at 12:27 PM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

  13. #13
    VIP Member
    Array goawayfarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fork Union, Virginia
    Posts
    2,695
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I've attended several different gun shows, from Richmond to Chantilly (NoVA) and have never had to surrender my ammo. .....
    I also have NEVER surrendered AMMO. The firearm in my holster is unloaded though.

    This subject has been brought up MANY TIMES before: (here are just a few!)

    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-gunshows.html

    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...your-guns.html

    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...how-carry.html

    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...how-carry.html

    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-friendly.html


    I DON'T have a problem with unloading to go into a gun show. These venues are PRIVATE PROPERTY & the owner's wishes should be respected. I'm very PRO_GUN, but I don't let people I don't know, or who handle firearms carelessly, carry on my property!

    I go to a lot of these shows & have had numerous firearms pointed at me! Most are just by people NOT paying attention to where the muzzle is pointed....OTHERS have actually aimed the firearm, using myself or other patrons to 'check out the sights'. If you haven't had this happen to you at a gun show.....You either weren't paying attention (walking around in WHITE) or you've never been to a gun show! A couple of people I have even 'dressed down' & embarrassed them when they do it. I had a guy who picked up a rifle with a scope & laser, who then shouldered the rifle & used my chest as a target from several isles away! After a severe berating by myself, he left the show...WITHOUT a purchase!

    Not all attendees at the shows are as careful as they should be.......

    There have been numerous NEGLIGENT DISCHARGES at gun shows, even when they ask that ALL weapons be unloaded. I am glad they tell EVERYBODY to unload. There are way to many numb skulls with poor firearms skills.....& I don't want to get accidentally shot!

    As to the people who say that they won't unload for ANY reason at a gun show......I have ONE piece of advice (if you decide to disregard the rules):

    DON'T FOR ANY REASON REMOVE YOUR CARRY ARM WHILE AT A SHOW..... Not even to try the next, new fangled, wizz-bang holster or latest Tom Swiftie laser that you have been trying to find. ....because I don't want you accidentally shooting me!

    If EVERYBODY were attentive to this, there would be NO NEGLIGENT DISCHARGES at these shows.

    If you're worried about being 'disarmed' while in the show, keep this in mind: If some miscreant, BG or just plain dumb a$$ starts shooting ....I'm hitting the deck, because all of the other nimrods who DIDN'T unload are going to be going for their guns....even the guys who unloaded are going to be trying to load theirs.......& how many more NEGLIGENT DISCHARGES are going to occur? I have better than average shooting skills, but in a close, densely occupied show venue.....How can you be sure of where your rounds fired at a potential BG are going? How many innocents are YOU going to hit in the process of stopping a BG?.....YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL ROUNDS YOU FIRE!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

  14. #14
    GM
    GM is offline
    VIP Member Array GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,866
    In other thread I read a post about this issue, and I totally agree with it (http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...how-carry.html).

    havegunjoe:

    Gun shows that ban me from carrying my legally permitted gun don't get my business. Same for gun stores. It is hypocritical for a room full of vendors to try and sell me guns,
    ammo, and gun related items yet tell me they don't trust me in that same room. It is also not an insurance issue as some will try and tell you. There are plenty of shows that do
    not ban carry permit holders from carrying their guns. It's a trust issue, and they don't trust me even though I have the training and permit. If no permit holders showed up for their
    shows they would change their minds I think.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

  15. #15
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    21,517
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I agree with you, those rules will not stop a BG from going on and shooting the place up since he is not going to check his weapon anyway. I see the point when you say that those rules will reduce the chances of a AD/ND. However, we have to consider that a CCWer should not unholster its weapon in public just to play with it. Furthermore, if it is about reducing the chances of a AN/ND we have to remember that those incidents also could occur when we are walking on the street, or shopping in a store or whatever. What should we then do about it? Because people spend more time in other public places than in gun shows. The only that could help in that case would be not to allow firearms in any public places. And next step should be to do not allow guns at home, because a AC/NC can occur and then someone in the house can hurt. And what should it be after that?
    While I agree an AD/ND can happen anywhere, remember there are many people who go to gun shows who are not permit holders. While they cannot carry concealed, many do OC at gun shows. Where do you draw the line? No OC of loaded firearms? No loaded firearms without a permit? That's not going to fly in states like VA where OC without a permit is legal. As goawayfarm stated, it is private property and as such the owners/sponsors rules should be followed. You have the choice of following them or not going.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Gun Shows in MI
    By ojf1982 in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 16th, 2010, 11:02 AM
  2. D/FW Gun Shows
    By McPatrickClan in forum Member Meeting Place
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 19th, 2009, 05:32 PM
  3. Gun Shows?
    By RebelKangaroo in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: February 23rd, 2008, 11:17 AM
  4. Gun Shows
    By Draco in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 11th, 2007, 11:34 AM
  5. Gun Shows
    By Go Glock in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: March 6th, 2007, 04:02 PM

Search tags for this page

can u oc a loaded gun in va
,
can you carry concealed in va gun shows
,
can you leave with a handgun gun show va
,
carry concealed at va gun shows
,
ccw at va gun shows
,
gunshows in vaginia
,
va gun show carry concealed
,
va gun shows
,

virginia gun shows

,
virginia gun shows ammo
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors