Permit holder encounter

This is a discussion on Permit holder encounter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sixto, that's some scary stuff to ponder. Drunk, driving, with a gun, and the guy actually told you he was going to shoot you. Thanks ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Permit holder encounter

Sixto, that's some scary stuff to ponder. Drunk, driving, with a gun, and the guy actually told you he was going to shoot you. Thanks for getting this idiot off the street. Glad it went down the way it did...SA and training in action. Most folks don't appreciate what LEOs face and deal with. You guys are overworked and underpaid...and underappreciated.

As for CC permit holders, I think that posessing lethal force inherrantly carries with it a greater responsibility for the individual. A greater responsibility for safety, caution, de-escalation, and a respectful and tolerant attitude. It doesn't carry some magical authority, but much more responsibility. I think that's what the poster was trying to convey.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Good job. Stay SAFE.

VIP Member
    Glad your ok sixto, and I'd say it's better this guy is going to have his permit revoked. doesn't sound like the sort we all want representing the CC community.

GM
    I am sorry for the bad experience SIXTO, but I am glad you are OK. How in the earth can someone be ready to shoot other persons just because a DUI? Just make sure that they lock him in and after that they throw away the key.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Im glad everything worked out. You are right about permit holders not all being good people. It ******* me off that this guy was willing to shoot you over a DUI.

Nice job Sixto. Stay safe out there.
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

VIP Member
    Well done SIXTO. Glad you made it home safely from your shift, the slightest distraction and things could have gone much differently.

Just curious, what would you have you of done differently (if anything) if you had had a rookie with you? While I understand as a FTO you need to train them to be "street" wise. But it can also be a distraction at a time when a distraction can mean yours or someone elses life.

Exclamation Sixto....

I'm glad you were alert and not harmed. The more I think about it the madder I get. This guy is a Turd.
    U.S. Army Veteran

Glad you got go home safe and sound to your family at the end of your shift SIXTO. Also glad you got this moron off the streets, at least for a little while.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Sixto,

Add me to the list of folks who are glad YOU are okay, and that the idiot with the gun is behind bars.

Thanks for the job you do, and for doing it well.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Glad to hear you made it back home safe, and able to tell the tale instead of having to read it elsewhere.
    BLONDIE: You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. If we cut down my percentage... cigar? Liable to interfere with my aim.

Everybody has to obey the law. When they don't, there are consequences. When they're especially stupid, those consequences can be especially drastic.

I would no more expect an idiot like that to post his "encounter" here than I would the St. George, MO cop to post his famous "encounter" with a kid with a video camera in his car.

Brilliant reasoning. He was willing to have a charge of murder rather than a charge of DUI. He had no business with a CCL or a CDL. Sounds like you saved his dumb ass that day by being observant and ready.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Well done SIXTO. Glad you made it home safely from your shift, the slightest distraction and things could have gone much differently.

Just curious, what would you have you of done differently (if anything) if you had had a rookie with you? While I understand as a FTO you need to train them to be "street" wise. But it can also be a distraction at a time when a distraction can mean yours or someone elses life.
    I would have sent the rookie up to the window while I sipped my coffee in the cruiser!

Really though, it would depend on the rook's level of experience at that point. If he was green, I would have sent him to the passenger side to cover me, and I'd take over the contact officer role. Hopefully, he would have seen the gun before me (as he would be able to see the side of him I could not) and let me know. If he had a few experiences under his belt, I would have let him make the approach, but I of course would have cautioned him prior.
    Situations like that tend to generate a lot of questions and fear in rookie's, so I'd keep it short and sweet until after it was all over. Time is crucial, I don't want to get into a drawn out discussion before we make contact giving him more time to prepare to kill one of us. At the same time, I want to make sure my rookie is aware of what is going on. I also want to make sure he saw the same things I saw when we first stopped, because if he didn't, he needs a trip back to the wood shed to relearn some stuff.

Anyway, about the CDL thing; I agree, CDL status does make a driver a "cut above". It tells me that they drive for a living, and the certainly should know the rules and laws of the road. Despite that, I tend to cut a lot of slack to the professional driver for minor infractions. I don't like messing with a mans living. But, let me catch you driving drunk, or operating reckless... its on like donkey kong.

About losing the CDL; I can actually understand somewhat what this guy was thinking in his drunken stupor. He has been driving trucks his entire life, and has no other marketable skills to earn a living. He is over the hill, and a little late in learning a new trade to support himself. I could see the gamble being tempting, however the odds were not in his favor.

Reference his permit status; I honestly couldn't care less if his permit was valid in Ohio or not. If everything else was OK, and this was just a guy coming across the border for a shopping trip; have a nice day, thanks for shopping in Ohio. But this situation was drastically different than that, so its hammer time.
    "Just blame Sixto"

MJK
    Very professionally handled Sixto. IMO you exercised outstanding judgement throughout the stop. Undoubtedly the successful outcome was the result of both mindset and training.

Keep up the good work. Your department is indeed fortunate to count you among its officers.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links