Permit holder encounter

This is a discussion on Permit holder encounter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was minding my own business patrolling the town today at work when a pickup truck right in front of me hits the curb, then ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Permit holder encounter

Administrator

Permit holder encounter

I was minding my own business patrolling the town today at work when a pickup truck right in front of me hits the curb, then bounces back into oncoming traffic. I follow it for a bit, it continues its erratic driving so I stop it.

I can see the driver fiddling around with something, but I couldn't tell what. I made my approach with a little more caution than usual. As I'm at the drivers window, he still has not brought his right hand into view. I told asked him once, told him once ( I was in a charitable mood today) and then it was on. He started to pull his right hand out of is pocket...

and he pissed himself.

Yup, he had a snub in his pocket, drawing it I presume was to shoot me. He wasn't happy about getting stopped, and he knew I was going to arrest him for DUI.
    Thing is, I knew he had something. Something he did not want me to see. I already had my weapon out, ready to shoot him through the door. He never knew that. Once I was positive he had a weapon of his own, I simply brought mine up to eye level and he soiled his drawers dropping the little Charter onto the seat.

He even told me he was going to shoot me, he did not want another DUI, as he would lose his CDL. But, he had planned to get the drop on me, not me already having him covered. He did not seem to understand that I would have been perfectly justified to pumpkin head him right there as he sat in his truck; he was a permit holder after all...

After that, things were uneventful. Arrest was made, D/A went to jail, permit revoked for life.

So, just because one has a permit, does not make one a "good guy". Paying attention to little details might have saved my life tonight. I know it saved his.

I do hope he is a member here so he can post his "LEO encounter" story if somebody bails him out on Tuesday.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

How did he get one with past DUI's ? Here, unless it's been over 5 yrs on a DUI and can be expunged, don't even apply ... it won't do any good.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Thanks for putting him away. Shoulda been permanent. How did he have a permit after his first DUI?

Administrator
    In his state, (not Ohio) they issue to anybody without violent history. His permit wasn't valid in Ohio anyway. Take away the drunk part, if he would have acted properly and been upfront, I wouldn't have made an issue out of the permit or gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

This is very sad to hear. I like to think most permit holders are good guys and the fact that a background investigation is completed before a CCW is granted means most CCW'ers are good guys. But some get through the cracks and sometimes ppl change. That's why we end up with the likes of Pelton, Walker, Ames, Pollard, Mitchell, and Martin. Once upon a time they were good guys and made very bad choices.

My uncle committed suicide after his 2nd DUI. He came from an old regular Baptist family that didn't believe in drinking alcohol. The disgrace was more than he could bare. He had a long term drinking problem that he hid.

Maybe this guy was trying to commit suicide by cop but, chickened out.

Glad to hear you are OK SIXTO. Most of us are good guys and we do all we can to obey the law at all times. I don't even drink any outside my house because I can't afford a DUI. I loose my CCW, my job, and > $10,000.

Administrator
    I know the vast majority of CCW are good guys; I was just making a point though.

Suicide by cop... maybe. He was almost successful. My thought processes had advanced to not how I was going to kill him, but when. And we are talking about maybe a 1/2 second window of time.

That might sound a little twisted, but it is the truth.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Paying attention to little details might have saved my life tonight.

Good to hear what could have totally screwed up your entire day ended up well for you.

As for the guy you stopped, unbelievable. He was gonna shoot you so you wouldn't arrest him for DUI and cause him to lose his kinda/sorta valid permit.

We say you can't fix stupid...you nearly did.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Too bad you didn't have video rolling. That would have been a keeper.

Thanks for being on your toes. Glad we get a first hand account instead of a link to a news report.

Be safe.

Glad you are ok SIXTO. That just reiterates how quickly things can go bad for you LEO'S out on the beat. I applaud good cops like yourself. Seems like he made all the right moves to having his life ended in a heartbeat. I wonder if he realizes just how close he came.
    IF YOU STAY READY, YOU AIN'T GOT TO GET READY

Well done, glad you are OK. We had an officer shot here recently - it happens. Stay safe!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Distinguished Member
    Any one who would shoot a cop or for that matter another person over a DUI is a waste of person. Is it too late to shoot him yet???

So happy for you that you were not forced to do it, and you had the experience to handle the situation the way you did.

Did he tell you he was going to shoot you??? and if he did, would not that be a crime that would be more severe than DUI??

A permit is somewhat like a badge, it should mean you are a cut above the rest, but it does not always work that way.

After the event was over, it had to leave a lot of questions for you, I hope you don't have night mares over it, glad you are still around here.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    He started to pull his right hand out of is pocket...

Yup, he had a snub in his pocket, drawing it I presume was to shoot me.

He even told me he was going to shoot me, he did not want another DUI, as he would lose his CDL. But, he had planned to get the drop on me, not me already having him covered.

He did not seem to understand that I would have been perfectly justified to pumpkin head him right there as he sat in his truck; he was a permit holder after all...
    Was this confession captured on tape/audio?

A willing agent of all that's rotten in humankind, yet he thinks having a permission slip is going to cover him when initiating murder on a citizen (let alone a police officer)?

You nearly died, today, Sixto. Without your caution and attentiveness to the warning signs, you were a moment from being filled with smoking holes. And it was confessed that it was all in motion as you approached his car door.

Dang.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    thanks for sharing Sixto
    outcomes like this makes all those little things we're trained on worth every second of study/learning
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I'm glad it all worked out in the end. You got another bad guy off the street, and you didn't get hurt.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Good job Sixto!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links