Stopped By Eugene Police Traffic Enforcement Today

This is a discussion on Stopped By Eugene Police Traffic Enforcement Today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was one block away from my house, when a motorcycle officer passed me, and pulled a U turn behind me. I turned on to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I was one block away from my house, when a motorcycle officer passed me, and pulled a U turn behind me. I turned on to my street and he turned on his lights.

He walks up to my car, and I already have my license on top, followed by my Oregon CHL, insurance and registration and hold it out the window before he even starts to talk.He tells me that my window tinting is too dark and asked for a “tinting certificate”.

I continue to hold my documents out the window and he finally takes them, looks at my CHL, and asks me, “where’s your gun at”? I told him it was on my right hip under my jacket. He replied with, “OK”.

I then explained to him that I purchased my car new from a Toyota dealership in Texas and had the tinting applied there. I explained that I moved to here to go to the University of Oregon. He told me that the laws vary on tinting percentage state to state, and that this looked like an honest mistake.

He then told me that traffic enforcement seldom give warnings, and rarely give verbal warnings, and if he were to write me a ticket that it would be a $270 fine. He told me to, “get it fixed”, and to have a nice day.

I wonder if I got off because I volunteered my CHL (which is not required by law in Oregon) or because it really was an honest mistake like he said, or both… no one knows but him.

Mostly same thing happened to me in Georgia. I was on my way from Ft. Bragg to St. Augustine and got pulled over 'cause my tint was too dark. I have Florida registration, and my tint is legal in Florida. He told me that, if I was planning on doing a lot of travel through Georgia, I should consider "fixing" my tint.

Courtesy and an even-keeled attitude (on BOTH your parts) go a long way in traffic stops. Being stright-up and honest about everything (including your permit) 'probley' got you further than anything.

Good stop and good job for both of ya'll. Double check that tint!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitulu View Post
    Mostly same thing happened to me in Georgia. I was on my way from Ft. Bragg to St. Augustine and got pulled over 'cause my tint was too dark. I have Florida registration, and my tint is legal in Florida. He told me that, if I was planning on doing a lot of travel through Georgia, I should consider "fixing" my tint.
    Off-topic: where'd that stop take place?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I wonder if I got off because I volunteered my CHL (which is not required by law in Oregon) or because it really was an honest mistake like he said, or both… no one knows but him.
    When you get face planted, cuffed and have your weapon taken from you because you volunteered your CHL will it be an honest mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    When you get face planted, cuffed and have your weapon taken from you because you volunteered your CHL will it be an honest mistake?
    That!~

Quote Originally Posted by crf3973 View Post
    - I was pulled over for speeding a few weeks ago (48mph in a 35mph) at night. I was about a mile from my house. I turned on my inside lights and handed over my license and registration. I did not inform about my CCW nor the fact that I was armed (CT is has not requirement to inform).

The cop was extremely polite and asked if I was on my way home. I politely told him that I just "spaced" out a little since I was so close to my house. He asked when the last time I was pulled over for speeding and I told him it was about 10 years ago. He went back to his car and let me go with a warning about 10 minutes later.

I highly doubt it would have been any different if I showed him my CCW. My polite demeanor, honesty and cooperation were most likely what did it.

Sounds like someone needs to look at the laws again (LEO)....if you're car is registered & legal in FL...why even try to apply NC laws during a traffic stop? It will just get thrown out in court....there is nothing wrong with your tint...until you register your car in NC.

Crazy...or veiled threat?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I live in Eugene also, and a few weeks ago the same thing happened to my buddy. He recently brought his car back from back east after his tour was over. He got pulled over and was given a ticket. Hid did not however have a CHL hmmm. It's crazy those motorcycle cops are out there every day rain or shine. They always travel in pairs so if you see one of them the other is sure to be close by.
    When SHTF I don't call 911, I call 1911
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
    Kimber ultra carry II stainless steel
    HK uspc

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Sounds like someone needs to look at the laws again (LEO)....if you're car is registered & legal in FL...why even try to apply NC laws during a traffic stop? It will just get thrown out in court....there is nothing wrong with your tint...until you register your car in NC.

Crazy...or veiled threat?
    was thinking the same thing myself.....here in Texas we have laws about our registration and inspection stickers being placed on the windshield, and we can't enforce that on cars from out of state....I would think the same thing would apply here,
    but I just woke up

good on the cop with OP, good judgment

my only question is why move from Texas to go to school up there?

just kidding, good luck with school
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member

Bogus stop?

Quote Originally Posted by crf3973 View Post

I then explained to him that I purchased my car new from a Toyota dealership in Texas and had the tinting applied there.
    Sounds like a bogus excuse to pull you over. Don't know with certainty, but probably original equipment tint automatically meets Oregon standards. And, unless the tint was clearly way too dark, his eyes aren't sharp enough to detect the minor differences which may be legal in one place and not another.

If that was a valid reason to pull you over, he could sit on I-5 and stop every car coming north from a southwestern state.

Sounds like BS on h is part, but glad it worked out for you.

When I lived in GA, the tint laws vary county to county. I had a Bryan county tag and was passing through Macon when a State Patrol pull me over on I-16 (for tint, of all reasons) and told me if I was going to frequent this area, I needed to loose the tint and it was left at that (no ticket). If I had a local tag, I would surely have gotten a ticket. I didn't have my CCW back then, but it seems that officers respond positively towards that as well.

Be very polite, but you can ignore his suggestion.

To the OP...
    Any time you escape a ticket from a M/C cop, rush out and buy a lottery ticket, because it WAS your lucky day.IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Sounds like you cam out ahead on this one... Go buy a lottery ticket...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Sounds like a good experience, but how exactly do you "fix" tinting? I'm assuming if it was factory applied, it would require taking it in to remove properly. That sounds expensive to me.
    Walk softly ...

When I moved to CA in 2004, I had a simuliar stop but different out come. I spent Thursday and Friday getting my cars inspected for pollution by a licensed garage and then had the cars inspected by Motor Vehicle Department (State Police officer) and then paid an outrageous sum of money for fees, taxes and registration. On Sunday I took my family to Muir Woods to see the red woods. Diving thru Oakland on 580, we were stopped by a CHIP officer. Hands on the wheel, window down, warning lights on and engine off. He had his gun drawn and on his side. When he looked inside, he holstered it. He told me I was stopped because of my dark tint windows. I told him I just had the car inspected by a State office on Friday and nothing was said about the windows and the car just came from FL the week before. He said it wasn't their job to notify me - it was my issue to know and comply with the law. It was a 2003 Black Lincoln LS with bright wheels and sport package air effects. He took my license and reg then came back with a $110 ticket. He told me only druggies, pimps and gang members ride around in vehicles like this. I could pay the $110 fine and risk another ticket or get the film removed, have the car reinspected and pay only $20 fine.
    It would have taken me 2 days off work to get the windows fixed , the car inspected and the go to court to save $90. I paid the fine and over the next 3 years, we were never stopped by an police any where in CA. Plus my other car had the same tint and no one bothered me in that for the next 3 years.
    I think I found an officer that didn't like an old, bald white guy pretending to be a banger!
    I miss CA for the shooting, the weather and the natural beauty. They can keep the attitude, the taxes, the high cost of living and the crime. They worked hard to screw themselves, I hope they enjoy it.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links