Does your permit make you "A cut above"? - Page 4

Does your permit make you "A cut above"?

This is a discussion on Does your permit make you "A cut above"? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a side note, but providing your CC permit for LE is spelled out by state law, whatever that may be. It doesnt necessarily mean ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Does your permit make you "A cut above"?

Just a side note, but providing your CC permit for LE is spelled out by state law, whatever that may be. It doesnt necessarily mean you have expectations or delusions. I dont think there's anything wrong with volunteering it either...as someone who has had to make car stops, I'd appreciate the heads up.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I would guess you were referring to me.
    Wasn't referring to anyone in particular

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    You made some good points in this thread. But you lost me in the post that I quote. And I thought that I might not be the only one. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I just meant that if you can get away from the situation without even exposing your gun, you should, IMO. And if you choose otherwise, IMO, that is a matter of ego and probably poor judgement.

If you cant...if in your estimation your only recourse is to respond with deadly force/the thread of deadly force...then no one can second-guess you here. (But many a jury can and will if it comes to that). It's not worth it if it can be avoided.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

as someone who has had to make car stops, I'd appreciate the heads up.
    Why? if I'm a law abiding citizen my weapon is no threat to you, if I'm not I'm certainly not going to tell you. I n the mean time I don't have to worry about getting faceplanted because you (generic) don't believe civilians should carry guns

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Yes, I see your point, but when I come to some of these forums, even this one, I am shocked at just how many replies come from people who sound just like those descriptions. The whole 'blow 'em away' mentality, 'kill em all and let God sort 'em out,' etc. Very holier than thou. People considering drawing on homeless people when you can get out of dodge just as easily...just because your state 'allows it' is just ridiculous.

I read it too much to disagree with him.
    I agree with you about the people that have the 'kill em all let God sort 'em out' mentality, but a blow 'em away mentality when justified should not be admonished IMO....if someone gets 'blown away' for legit reasons what is the issue? Maybe you statement of 'blow 'em away' is meant for something else, I don't know.

As for your comment on pcon's situation, I consider this to be more 'holier than thou' than other's comments concerning carry. How dare you compare him and his incident with people that just want to go blasting people for nothing. Pcon was in a threatening situation. He didn't go looking for trouble when he was walking home after work. I personally know the area he was talking about. He was crossing a busy loop/highway area and had come the edge of that loop. He couldn't go any further. The guy was now walking faster at him and was probably getting really close to him at that point.
    IMO it doesn't matter if you're homeless or a multi-billionaire....if someone is threatened they should be able to defend themselves, show that they are not going to just let the person attack them.
    I don't think this is ridiculous at all. What is ridiculous is thinking that people should not use whatever they have to defend themselves and not run away from a threat. That homeless guy that threatened pcon needed someone to enlighten him that its not right to do what he did. Our society should not cower from these types of people in these incidents. Thats what is making it worse.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

The sheep, wolf, sheepdog analogy used in my required permit training by a police officer was informative but did serve to imply that people with permits (sheepdogs) were better in some way than the "sheep" who choose not to carry a gun or the "wolves" who prey on the "sheep".

That bothered me then and still does. It is an elitist attitude using a strongly negative word for the vast majority of people. People in general are not "sheep". They may be somewhat oblivious to some of the dangers, or they might rationally and analytically have concluded that carrying a gun is not the most effective, for them, means of self and family protection.

I'm staying out of this topic because its apparent the OP is just fishing for an argement in order to prove a point of how right he is. No im not coming on here PO'd like you hope i probably would, but i will call you out as wanting to have a chance to poke at people for having different opinions and beliefs than you do. Have fun....
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

VIP Member
    My permit is a piece of paper which was issued by the circuit court of the county I live in. It signifies nothing more than I am a citizen of this state and have passed a background check.

I'm staying out of this topic
    Clearly , you aren't

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Clearly , you aren't
    That is all. You may continue.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Why? if I'm a law abiding citizen my weapon is no threat to you, if I'm not I'm certainly not going to tell you. I n the mean time I don't have to worry about getting faceplanted because you (generic) don't believe civilians should carry guns
    This has been a thread of it's own, no doubt, and I don't want to hijack, buuut, my TN HCP class has a film strip of a traffic stop of a lady with a revolver in her pants. She fails to inform the officer. In the course of the process, the officers spots the gun, and responds according to training by holding the driver at gun point.
    It's a good lesson that simply informing the officer can avoid unnecessary angst especially when a citizen may not know the local temporal situation to the same detail as the officer.

that simply informing the officer can avoid unnecessary angst especially when a citizen may not know the local temporal situation to the same detail as the officer.
    I interact W/ cops all weekend long at my second job I have never been "made" If you are you aren't concealing proplerly

Quote Originally Posted by BurgDog View Post
    The sheep, wolf, sheepdog analogy used in my required permit training by a police officer was informative but did serve to imply that people with permits (sheepdogs) were better in some way than the "sheep" who choose not to carry a gun or the "wolves" who prey on the "sheep".

That bothered me then and still does. It is an elitist attitude using a strongly negative word for the vast majority of people. People in general are not "sheep". They may be somewhat oblivious to some of the dangers, or they might rationally and analytically have concluded that carrying a gun is not the most effective, for them, means of self and family protection.

It's a metaphor. And it's applied correctly IMO. If you have a predator you gotta have a prey. Good, bad, right or wrong, they go hand and hand. It's when folks take um to literal is when the confusion sets in. JMO
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Rugergirl, I couldn't have said it any better. Generally speaking, people that get the attitude that I am better than the next person just because they have a permit to carry a firearm just reveals what was inside of them at the beginning. Sheepdog concept or whatever you want call it can be tricky if that means that you are suppose to run over and help out in every perceived situation that you think needs helping. I have had my CHP for almost a year now and I do not do anything any different than I did before. I was very low key and non confrontational before and I am now. Being 6'4" 280lbs. I would like to think I can handle most situations without having to draw my firearm.

VIP Member
    I interact W/ cops all weekend long at my second job I have never been "made" If you are you aren't concealing proplerly
    Is this your second job?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links